It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Details on presidential motorcades, safe house for First Family, leak via P2P

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Details on presidential motorcades, safe house for First Family, leak via P2P

www.computerworld.com

Details about a U.S. Secret Service safe house for the First Family -- to be used in a national emergency -- were found to have leaked out on a LimeWire file-sharing network recently, members of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee were told this morning.

Also unearthed on LimeWire networks in recent days were presidential motorcade routes and a sensitive but unclassified document listing details on every nuclear facility in the country, Robert Boback, CEO of Tiversa Inc. told committee members.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Classified data on president's helicopter leaked via P2P, found on Iranian computer

NOTE: My apologies for this post being formatted incorectly. The link is too long for the ATS system so it is not formatting properly. I tried to fix it manually but it just can't handle long url addresses.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by fraterormus]

[mod edit: fixed long link skewing page]

[edit on 30-7-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Although a House Oversight committee has held a hearing on the topic of data leaks on P2P networks, the last meeting was over 2 years ago.

With this news, you can tell the this is going to be rehased anew and the hammer is going to fall on P2P Networks soon and it is going to be swift.

The thing is that tightening Federal Restrictions on P2P Networks and banning P2P Network software on all government or government contractor computers is only going to cause this information to go to Darknets where oversight committees aren't going to find them as easily.

Information wants to be free, and even if it is Classified and Sensitive data, it will still leak out to the public domain. It can't be stopped. Just look at WikiLeaks!

I'm all for the government increasing their own internal security and auditing methods, but when they start dictating what is good for the common-man, and whether *WE* can use P2P Networks is another thing altogether.

Hopefully this recent find of sensitive Secret Service documents and Department of Energy documents on P2P Networks doesn't cause Congress to go overboard on their legislating restrictions on P2P Networks.

(And on a side-note: How many of you are as curious as I am about finding these documents and taking a peek...not for any nefarious purpose other than being curious tax-payers who bought and paid for these things?)

www.computerworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-7-2009 by fraterormus]

[mod edit: fixed long link skewing page]

[edit on 30-7-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
This world is full of coincidences isnt it? I mean just when they are trying to restrict the internet... this crops up. Just as the whole the thing with 4chan did... all in the same month?? wow....

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I thihk this is simply stupied.... Not the thread tho

Correct me if Im wrong but dont you put the things want to share in the " share folder " for Limewire..... ?

This is not an issue with the American people exposing Government secrets on Limewire. I mean what person that could obtain that type of data uses Limewire anyways
This is a case of some bored military librarian using Limewire to download whatever and adding a government drive to his shared folder.

I agree with RenDMC..... A coincidence..... I think not. Obama probly has been spending so much time asking China for a loan their internet policies are making sence to him.

On a side note.... I bet thats why China has some of the best hackers... they have to hack the system just to get to google

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

I use tinyurl when I have long links that break up

This is awful though. First of all, who in the government is using Limewire?! I think maybe someone hacked to get these files and thought it would be good to release them.

They'll have to change all of the security measures to ensure the safety for the first family. What an inconvenience.

new topics

top topics

join