It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Television programs can fend off loneliness; What does ATS do for us?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I would have assumed that to combat loneliness and potential depression, STAY AWAY FROM THE TV.

But, a recent study says for people to do just the opposite.

New psychological research suggests that loneliness can be alleviated by simply turning on your favorite TV show. In the same way that a snack can satiate hunger in lieu of a meal, it seems that watching favorite TV shows can provide the experience of belonging without a true interpersonal interaction.

I wonder how hours-and-hours spent on ATS would factor into this study????

[edit on 29-7-2009 by MOFreemason]

[edit on 29-7-2009 by MOFreemason]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
ATS fends off loneliness for me as well. Yes, hours and hours. I dare say communicating with others here about real issues goes further than staring at fictional TV for hours.

That said, I do watch as couple hours of TV 4 or 5 nights a week and yes, it breaks the monotony of being alone 24/7. I have no feeling of guilt...for those who think we should watch no TV.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Whether it helps or not it still comes off as painfully sad.

If I were depressed the last thing I'd want to do is sit in front of the TV. I'd go camping or hiking or ride a century or something. Spend some quality time with myself rather than numb time by myself.

But I'm not some fancy pants scientist.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Being here on ATS for minutes is worth more than hours and hours of TV

I stopped watching TV 4 years ago, and I feel great. Although lonely sometimes, I will NEVER turn on the TV again. Id sooner shoot myself in the face than watch TV.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
What ever happened to good old fashioned interaction with other human beings?

Community spirit and family interaction is almost gone. Apart from Reading, Writing, Drawing & Painting, Crafts, Dancing, Music, Theatre et.c, there is also voluntary work in many forms. This would re-energise and build confidence, whilst providing the opportunity to discover talents and strengths you never had.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Since when does TV fend off lonelyness???

Thats news to me... conspiratory ones...

I tend to agree with the post above.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

I would love to see a link to that external source quote. The reason being we would be able to see what facility happened upon this stunning conclusion. It sounds like propaganda, to put people in front of their televisions.

ATS on the other hand I believe stimulates the brain in a different way. I always learn something here and I learn nothing from television. To me anyway, this has to be way better then television programming.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap
reply to post by MOFreemason

I would love to see a link to that external source quote.

www.scientificamerican.com...

Edit: Btw, loneliness and solitude are obviously unrelated. Television can perhaps distract one for the short term but ...

Edit II: ATS is your best friend .. brought to you by the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation (Marketing Division) ...

[edit on 29 Jul 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I find video games to be more effective at combating loneliness then watching TV. I guess modern video games to be more technical. I'm so numbed out from the drivel on TV that I only watch it when I'm going to sleep because that's all it does for me is put me to sleep. And its worked quite well for some years.

But I can turn on my PS3 and my headset and all of a sudden I have a huge amount of people to BS with and virtually interact with while I blow them up!

Just my 2 cents worth.... lol.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Hi, I'm not a scientist either, but unless you have ever been depressed and I mean a moderate to severe depression, you don't know what you would do.

For me, it takes my mind off myself for a little while. I am very cognizant of programing and I can see it try to creep in, but hey, I'm on ATS much more

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Jaye L. Derrick and Shira Gabriel studied 100 university undergraduate students, and examined the relationship between low self-esteem, parasocial relationships, and reported self-discrepancies. In this study, participants described their favorite celebrity in an essay. These researchers used the Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale to assess how the participants felt about themselves (their self-esteem). Read more: psychology.suite101.com...

psychology.suite101.com...

It seems these people really push the whole entertainment thing on people. I did not find any strange affiliations with them but I will certainly continue to look. What do you think?

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I think it depends on how severe it is. I've recalled having just sat for hours being depressed and barely noticing what was on TV any more than a fan that makes noise when it's running. After about 5 years of that, I think I've gotten used to finally living alone, even without any pets or friends. I'm not really anti-social as much as I'm anti-drama. A theme I've heard mention here on ATS and a banned member.

I enjoy certain programs, whether they're cartoons, sitcoms or documentaries. I suppose some day I might be able to watch them with a companion or friend. Living with someone isn't in my plans anymore, unless they own an apartment building or mansion.

As for ATS; What's it's done for me is more than just sitting in front of a TV screen. So, it's been therapy and helped me to a larger degree. The faceless chatter has given me more choices to accept or reject other opinions and skepticism as well. It's a slow process, but it can work.

[edit on 29-7-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

Well, so far as I can tell, the whole premise of the article of the OP is that "non-real" relationships (like with tv characters) can be a substitute for "real" relationships in the context of loneliness.

Pretty hard thing to study, never mind establish as fact since "loneliness" is not a quantifiable variable.

Meh, the whole thing is pretty silly imho ...

Having said that, if one were to consider what is or isn't "real" ...

Well, let's leave that one for another day.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The only thing i watch on TV nowadays are programs related to nature and technical things , aka Documentaries. Thats strictly that.
Occasionaly i might watch an easy going series like Friends during lunch.
Then again while doing that i am with friends and/or family so its pure entertainment.

Newswise i do not pay much attention. The crap people are fed daily is endless and forms propaganda of one way or another, larger or smaller.
To get to see whats lying behind this all takes up too much time since you need to watch about 5 channels and make up what is what...
I do not bother anymore and tend to use ATS in order to get the really importand info in. ATS is not perfect but it improves and will do me for now as an alternative to world events and happenings, albeit in the news you may find more quantity wise.

Altogether to me it ought not have to do with lonelyness.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Line up-

Cops
Americas Most Wanted
Tru tv_ all cop shows
(my favorite) SNAPPED

History Channel- Doom and gloom an they take away what little desire you have to live.
Reality shows

Dog the b ounty hunter- now theres real class
The Repo Man

To sum it up, all brutality and threats and crap that is all meant to intimidate you.

The news??? How anyone can report all these Blackops without cracking up on camera has to be totally brainwashed or SICK.

I'll take the Internet. Surprisingly enough, there are other websites who do not promote depression out there. Check them out.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

I think it depends on how severe it is. I've recalled having just sat for hours being depressed and barely noticing what was on TV any more than a fan that makes noise when it's running. After about 5 years of that, I think I've gotten used to finally living alone, even without any pets or friends. I'm not really anti-social as much as I'm anti-drama. A theme I've heard mention here on ATS and a banned member.

I enjoy certain programs, whether they're cartoons, sitcoms or documentaries. I suppose some day I might be able to watch them with a companion or friend. Living with someone isn't in my plans anymore, unless they own an apartment building or mansion.

As for ATS; What's it's done for me is more than just sitting in front of a TV screen. So, it's been therapy and helped me to a larger degree. The faceless chatter has given me more choices to accept or reject other opinions and skepticism as well. It's a slow process, but it can work.

Wow! I could have written that almost verbatim, including the 5 years.

The thing about the severity, if it is really severe as it was for me, you lose interest in everything you once enjoyed (for me, sewing, painting and crafts).

As for tv, if something is emotional and I don't want it to effect me, I remind myself that it isn't mine and I don't have to own it...as with many things in life.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Well, so far as I can tell, the whole premise of the article of the OP is that "non-real" relationships (like with tv characters) can be a substitute for "real" relationships in the context of loneliness.

Pretty hard thing to study, never mind establish as fact since "loneliness" is not a quantifiable variable.

Meh, the whole thing is pretty silly imho ...

Having said that, if one were to consider what is or isn't "real" ... Well, let's leave that one for another day.

I don't think of tv as a substitute for real relationships (don't know about the OP) but as a distraction.

As for 'leave that for another day' if you have thought it through already, I would appreciate it if you would share.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Okay...what is the conspiracy here???

LOL. I turned on my tv an hour ago to watch the local weather and it has been searching for a signal ever since. There is not a cloud in the sky.

What is with this? Someone here against tv have a lot of influence with satellites?

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

Don't know about sattelites but i am burning up plenty of electronics around me!

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
so many hours wasted... but at least no commercials.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join