It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit area jobless rate tops 17%

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Detroit area jobless rate tops 17%

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The Detroit metropolitan area held its position of having the highest unemployment rate among major U.S. cities, with the rate surging more than 2 percentage points to above 17%, the government reported Wednesday.

The jobless rate in the Detroit-Warren-Livonia metropolitan area rose to 17.1% last month from 14.9% in May. It was the highest of 49 urban centers with more than 1 million inhabitants in the Labor Department report.

The Detroit area also suffered the largest year-over-year increase in unemployment of any major urban center. The rate is up 8.1 percentage points from 9% in June 2008.

Source : CNN.com

My own impression is that the 'actual numbers' are probably in the 25% range ...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

I was in MI in June and I read that the unemployment rate in Pontiac, MI was 29% at that time!!

It depends on the city - some are worse off than others. There are foreclosure signs in home windows, all over the place. You can hardly drive down any street without seeing a foreclosure. Things are really bad out there and it's not just the auto industry that is suffering now. I have a relative that lost his job at AT&T in June. He had been there 9 years. The construction sector is suffering greatly as well.

Also, keep in mind that the unemployment reports only account for those people that are currently drawing unemployment. What about all the people that didn't qualify for unemployment or who have already run out of unemployment? They're not included in the tallies. So the reports are very deceptive and definitely overly conservative.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
it is only 17% because more than half the people have already left the area. Had no one left you would be talking 40-50%.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ron Paul Girl

These reports were made deceptive from the time when Reagan was president. I knew then that disaster is coming.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I was born and raised in Detroit and have lived here in the area ( now in Ann Arbor ) on and off my entire life.

Certainly it has not been this bad here in recent memory.

My understanding is that during the 'Clinton years' certain 'modifications' to the way employment rates are calculated were made then which makes the numbers look a lot better than they actually are.

Another 'issue' nobody really wants to mention is that once a person falls off the unemployment rolls when his/her benefits are exhausted, they are no longer even 'counted' among the unemployed.

These 'official' unemployment rates are complete nonsense, which is a real disservice to the people at large, since most just believe whatever they read or hear in the MSM.

All these poor foolish people will have a very rude awakening when they look out their front doors one fine morning and see tanks rolling down the streets in front of their homes ...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I watched a show on the tv the other day and it was about Detriot and the ghost town that used to be the central for iron works. its sad to see that such a huge city that produced so much is now almost a ghost town. its no wonder why the unemployment rates are so low, because theres no-one there to collect the bennifets. its just the begining i think, and more citys will soon follow.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Who expected anything different? Lib's are and have been incharge of every sector there forever. This is exactly what happens when you follow liberal policies to their natural ends.

The worst thing about this migration out of MI is the idiot people that destroyed their own avenues to wealth at home have not learned a thing and are currently infesting some wonderful, no income tax, states in the South. I think we should force them to stay in the crap-hole they created...

top topics

join