It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

911 caller in Gates arrest never referred to 'black suspects'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

911 caller in Gates arrest never referred to

www.cnn.com

Attorney Wendy Murphy, who represents Whalen, also categorically rejected part of the police report that said Whalen talked with Sgt. James Crowley, the arresting officer, at the scene.

"Let me be clear: She never had a conversation with Sgt. Crowley at the scene," Murphy told CNN by phone. "And she never said to any police officer or to anybody 'two black men.' She never used the word 'black.' Period."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-7-2009 by danj3ris]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
But the police report submitted by Officer Crowley says otherwise. Someone isn't telling the truth here. It's a bit of a shame, I was hoping this issue was over and done with so people could move on to something that is worthy of attention. The president was just about ready to have that beer too.

You can see the police report here:

www.thesmokinggun.com...

By the way, CNN continues to update the story.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit: The reason why I posted this story has nothing to do with racism. I'm trying to focus on the fact that the police report may contain false information. I'm curious of the implications. Does this happen often and why?

ReEdit: Formatting issues.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by danj3ris]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This story is so played out- it's impossible to tell whose lying anymore. On that note- I don't really care whose lying anymore.

This is not alternative news, either... in fact, I don't think it could get much more mainstream.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Moderators please move this thread to the correct forum, it was my first time posting a news story and I may have submitted it in the wrong place.

ninecrimes, I agree with you that in a story as played out as this one it may be near impossible to tell who is lying anymore.

I decided to post this story mainly because the idea of a police report conflicting with what happened in actuality, deeply disturbs me. I'm sure it happens more often than we'd like to think, but this time it garnered media attention.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
All the people involved in this story are done with it and no longer care but the media need something to talk about I guess.

Who cares about this anymore? It's done so lets move on.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Story Here

The caller said - two men, one looked hispanic or something, the other she couldn't see.

The cops got to the house and needed ID from the man in the house , a man with dark skin. He refused and interfered with the police.

Gates is a self serving moron and got exactly what he deserved.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by danj3ris

Racism is rampant in America. Racism is America’s albatross. We cannot get over it. It permeates our society. Republicans use and rely on it to jack up their base. Southerners use it out of spite.

Most states have abolished the old time default charge of Disorderly Conduct. It is entirely subjective. Police have abused it for a century or longer.

Regardless, or “irregardless” as Sarah Palin would say, there is NO excuse or contrived circumstance that justifies arresting a man in his own house. Whether or not he spoke ill of the STUPID cops is irrelevant.

Blame? Prof. Gates, 0%, Cambridge PD, 100%!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
If I were responding to that house I'd wonder what the old guy was up to.
That might have been productive to the case.
Like when cops help you to get into your car.
When you locked your keys inside.
Cops are helpful.
So this cop locks his keys inside and guess who comes over to help him out.
Just because a call came in does not mean something is what the caller says.

[edit on 7/27/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

I don't care anymore about the specifics of "the story" either! I debated even posting it because I figured ATS readers who had enough of the story wouldn't even bother reading the post!

However, I'd like to make it clear that the part that specifically concerns me is that the information on the police report is conflicting with the events that actually occurred Like I told ninecrimes above, this really bothers me. I have a feeling the next place the media will take this story, if not towards the continued idea of racism (which by now I'm sick of), is how often the police may report false information in their reports.

I'm hoping ATS reader's won't have a knee-jerk reaction to my post due to the past few weeks events, but instead comment on the main idea I'm trying to convey here: falsified police reports.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I heard a black lady on the news last night keep referring to it as "July 16th" like it was comparable to September 11th.

I almost puked.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by donwhite
there is NO excuse or contrived circumstance that justifies arresting a man in his own house.

- The police responded to a break in call. 2 men. At least one being non-white.
- They find a non-white man in the home and ask him for identification.
- The man refuses. (Not exactly the behavior of an innocent man).
- The man starts cussing the police and interfering. (not the behavior of an innocent man)
- The man gets arrested for obstruction of the police in the line of duty.
And rightfully so.

OF COURSE there is a good reason for arresting someone in their own home. When that person is acting like a freak'n moron with a chip on his shoulder the size of the Empire State Building, and in the process obstructs police in the line of duty, then that moron will get arrested whether it's in his own home or not.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Racism is rampant in America. Racism is America’s albatross. We cannot get over it. It permeates our society. Republicans use and rely on it to jack up their base. Southerners use it out of spite.

Most states have abolished the old time default charge of Disorderly Conduct. It is entirely subjective. Police have abused it for a century or longer.

Regardless, or “irregardless” as Sarah Palin would say, there is NO excuse or contrived circumstance that justifies arresting a man in his own house. Whether or not he spoke ill of the STUPID cops is irrelevant.

Racism exists, but it's not rampant...you really need to get out more if you think that it's "rampant."

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
This man acted out of line and thats why he got arrested. As a black guy myself even I can see that. I bet he was screaming and yelling causing a huge public disturbance outside his house and pulled the whole "black man in america" thing. I'm a "black man in america" too and no racism has ever stopped me from doing anything. This isn't the 50's anymore.

HOWEVER I don't know who to believe really but after reading more of this and seeing gates history (I think hes done this in the past) I'll stck with my opinion that he probably did act out of line! I'm sure some of yall have noticed from my posts on here that I'm usually NEVER on the cops side, but with this I think I am.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

there is NO excuse or contrived circumstance that justifies arresting a man in his own house.

- The man starts cussing the police and interfering. (not the behavior of an innocent man)
And rightfully so.

OF COURSE there is a good reason for arresting someone in their own home. When that person is acting like a freak'n moron with a chip on his shoulder the size of the Empire State Building, and in the process obstructs police in the line of duty, then that moron will get arrested whether it's in his own home or not.

Gates was arrested after he identified himself as the owner of the home. He wasn't obstructing anything. Gates also had every right to act the way he wanted. It's his god damn property.

Your ignorance disgusts me.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Double Eights

Originally posted by FlyersFan

And rightfully so.

Gates was arrested after he identified himself as the owner of the home. He wasn't obstructing anything. Gates also had every right to act the way he wanted. It's his god damn property.

Your ignorance disgusts me.

Your ignorance is even more disgusting, because you're trying to pass yourself off as a knowledgeable entity on the situation at-hand.

The police officers arrived and were bombarded with the "race card" before he presented an official form of ID. The only ID he presented before calling the police officers racist was a Harvard ID card, which is not an official ID that the police can identify you with.

So no, he didn't have the right to act like he did. It is, in fact, called "Obstruction of Justice". The moment he told them "I'll see your momma on the front porch", they had every right to slap the cuffs on him.

Stop trying to defend the jerk. He could've complied and not gotten arrested, but when you act like he did, you're pretty much begging for it.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
First the dispatcher would not have used the word black, but "Type 1 suspect" meaning a black male, I am a "Type 3 suspect" a white male and a "Type 2" suspect is a Latino male.

Some interesting developments in the story. The neighbor who made the call has hired an attorney. Does this mean she fears a lawsuit? Why does someone reporting a potential crime to police need a lawyer?

Why does CNN keep running racially inflaming stories like yesterdays piece on Blacks recieve different Health Care recomendations based on their color than Whites do with the same disease and same insurance company by doctors?

Why does CNN keep referring to Birthers as right wing fringe lunatics and potential terrorists?

The media at least CNN is clearly trying to forment racial controversy and tensions.

Now for the people who just don't agree with how this was handled...

Has anyone white or black ever committed a crime like murder or narcotics possession or manufacturing in their own home?

Would police have cause to be suspicious of someone acting beligerent and rudely to them in their own home?

Why would someone act beligerently or rudely to someone in their own home?

Has anyone ever heard of identidy theft? Has anyone ever been robbed and had your ID, your Bank Cards, your car or home keys used by the robber?

These are all things police acting with due dilligence should have investigated and wouldn't have been able to with an uncooperative home owner who was being belligerent and combative.

This is simply not a racist incident, it's an incident being made to look like an racist incident.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
First the dispatcher would not have used the word black, but "Type 1 suspect" meaning a black male, I am a "Type 3 suspect" a white male and a "Type 2" suspect is a Latino male.

Some interesting developments in the story. The neighbor who made the call has hired an attorney. Does this mean she fears a lawsuit? Why does someone reporting a potential crime to police need a lawyer?

Why does CNN keep running racially inflaming stories like yesterdays piece on Blacks recieve different Health Care recomendations based on their color than Whites do with the same disease and same insurance company by doctors?

Why does CNN keep referring to Birthers as right wing fringe lunatics and potential terrorists?

The media at least CNN is clearly trying to forment racial controversy and tensions.

Now for the people who just don't agree with how this was handled...

Has anyone white or black ever committed a crime like murder or narcotics possession or manufacturing in their own home?

Would police have cause to be suspicious of someone acting beligerent and rudely to them in their own home?

Why would someone act beligerently or rudely to someone in their own home?

Has anyone ever heard of identidy theft? Has anyone ever been robbed and had your ID, your Bank Cards, your car or home keys used by the robber?

These are all things police acting with due dilligence should have investigated and wouldn't have been able to with an uncooperative home owner who was being belligerent and combative.

This is simply not a racist incident, it's an incident being made to look like an racist incident.

Exxxactly! Great post!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Maybe it wasn't Whalen that crowley spoke with when he first arrived, maybe it was the concerned nieghbor and maybe she was a white woman. The report says that he spoke to a woman that called out to him and said she was the one who called 911. He then says the caller was later identified as Whalen. Perhaps he incorrectly assumed that the white woman who called out to him was in fact Whalen. I too would assume that the woman calling out to me saying that it was her that called was the same woman whose name appeared as the caller.

Whalen worked down the street and was on her lunch break when she called police.

The report states that the white woman Crowely spoke to held a wireless phone. Which suggests a wireless land line (he didn't say cell phone) i don't know of any businesses that have wireless phones. So if she was on her lunch break where did she get the wireless phone from.

"I just saw it from a distance, and this older woman was worried, thinking somebody's breaking in someone's house and they've been barging in," Whalen says. "She interrupted me, and that's when I noticed. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have noticed it at all, to be honest with you. So I was just calling because she was a concerned neighbor, I guess."

Whalen herself refers to an older neighbor who was concerned and states that is why she called.

www.cnn.com...

I think it's very plausible that Crowley did not lie on his report, but rather was incorrect about his assumption that the concerned neighbor he spoke with was the same person that called in the report because she was holding a phone and stated that it was her that called.

Honestly i'm more concerned with the obvious racial baiting being carried out by CNN as of late.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard

Racism exists, but it's not rampant...you really need to get out more if you think that it's "rampant."

it's not rampant but it is more or less hidden....

I have noticed way too many people i know personally and other adults who are much more racist than i thought.

However, It is the people within a certain race that help to make the problem worse.

When there is racist generalizations of how many black men steal and rob people, and then a black man is caught stealing and robbing people, that adds to it and makes it no longer "stereotype" but the Truth because it happened.

It does not mean all black men do, but to not Face the fact of them doing it when it happens and pull out the race card is what hurts the people who are having racist things done to them...

I know this is a made up example but I'm trying to get a point across...

The only people who can stop America from being Racist against blacks are the black people themselves...........

I'm talking about the ones that day in and day out fit those stereotypes......They are the problem because those stereotypes are True in reference to them.....

If they don't want to be stereotyped then don't do what ever that stereotype is.....

If you don't want people to think all black men listen to loud rap music in their cars with stereos and bass Pumped up all the way, then don't listen to loud rap music with you Kickers kickin and bumpin your bass.......

People think it happens, because it does!

Asians.........You guys getting fed up with everyone thinking you all own chinese restaurants ? STOP Opening up Chinese Restaurants and do something else.....

The problem is, is usually a lot of stereotypes happen to the scum of each race......

These people don't care and won't change and that hurts the good people of each race.......

White people...........want the other races to stop thinking you are racist? Stop being racist !!!

It's not that hard people...............What one person does does not mean all people of that race will do it...

The problem lies with our youth and the fact that they actually " embrace these stereotypes " and live them out.........

I mean if you hang out with guys that go around fighting people ignorantly for no reason and you end up having to defend yourself over some sh*it they started, and now you are pissed because everybody thinks you are one of them ...Guess what?

Don't hang out with them !!!

it's very simple people but we need both sides......ALL sides to come to agreement.

We as a whole are just not educated enough for that to ever come true........

We need REAL education, not business training from grade 1 on.......

How are we supposed to be honest and caring when Our leaders are not?

How are we supposed to support eachother and get along and agree when our leaders do not?

It starts from the top and works it's way down....................

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by donwhite

Ummm Noooo........, most states still have the charge of Disorderly Conduct or something similar. If you go to Wal-Mart or what ever with you family and there is a person inside/outside yelling and cursing, profranity, would you think that it's O.K.???? Would you like for your family to hear that kind of talk in a public place where children could be found and possibly put in fear because of someone's disorderly conduct???? That is why we have such a law, to keep the peace. "ANY ACT THAT WOULD OUTRAGE THE SENSE OF PUBLIC DECENCY"-Disorderly Conduct. What about your neighbor, if your family is out trying to have a nice, let's say BBQ, in the yard, and your neighbor comes out yelling, cursing, swearing, so loudly that other's are concentrating their attention on your neighbor??? Guess what-disorderly conduct....or maybe you believe that people can walk up and down the street, or anyplace public and be able to yell and scream what ever they want. What about another persons right to not have to listen to that kind of ranting while out in public?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join