It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could our greatest achievements be our greatest downfall?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Im sure that this might be a well talked about topic but I do not see any on the topic list so im going to start one. I am worried about the modern world and its over reliance on electricity in general. I read threads about possible worldwide emp waves and I think how well off we might be if one way or another we lose all that we have created.

Imagine if a scenario like this were to happen 100 years ago, 50 years ago, or 10 years ago, or today. Doesn't it seem like we're creating our own weakness to the triggering of panic and dismay? When there is a large blackout in a city what happens? There is looting and robbery, riots, and violence in many instances. Im not saying that we should drop modern technology, but shouldn't we at least be prepared should we lose these luxury's? It scares me to think what the response to loss of electricity could do to us in the future. Could we reach a point where we would not be able to sustain ourselves should we lose it? We could be so reliant that we lose the skills to survive without it? Do I sound paranoid or dramatic? The scenario worries me, what about any of you?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I agree with you. I have stockpiled non-perishables and i am currently working on stockpiling things such as cooking fuel and other things to survive for 3 months without restocking. Any day the SCHTF and i am partially prepared.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
The Human race got to this point without there luxury's, I'm sure we can survive without them

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I was talking about this on here just yesterday.

Its ironic that if TSHTF it will be the most "developed" countries in the world that suffer the most.

While the "developing" countries will just carry on as usual while the world falls apart around them.

It reminds me of the Carl Sagan quote:

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology."

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I was just talking about this topic with my brother earlier today. I brought up the idea that without the technological advancements mankind has seen over the last few decades, things might be different.

Before I begin on this topic I just want to make this point clear, I know most people would agree with it: people cannot live today without modern technology. Granted, we could do without automatic toilets and escalators, but we cannot do without modern medicine. If we can find a middle ground where we can all compromise (not even close to being likely) and give up our luxuries, only then can peace be within sight.

Now, as for the dependency on electricity. You have a point, we do need fallback plans that we can turn to within seconds of a major blackout or disaster, natural or unnatural, but the reality is that we do not have such luxuries.

Something like that involves large sums of money and cooperation, even then there would still be riots and looting. The only way for the rioting to cease is to find a way to satiate the people in a liberal way.

How though? That I cannot say. I fear that there wont be anything to stop the chaos other than the brave men and women in law enforcement.

new topics

top topics

join