It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too Fat to Be a Surgeon General?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Too Fat to Be a Surgeon General?

www.huffingtonpost.com

The latest idiocy to come out of the media is the accusation that President Obama's nominee for Surgeon General is "too fat". She may be a size 18 or even 20, opines the not so skinny themselves broadcasters and commenters on Fox News.

Hold on a moment, folks! Obama's nominee, Dr. Regina Benjamin, holds a MacArthur Genius Award, is the first African American woman to be elected to the Board of the AMA and the Alabama Medical Association and has served a rural community in Alabama with unselfish dedication. And she might be a little overweight?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
While it's been proven that fat does not equal unhealthy (necessarily), I personally think she should drop the weight before taking position.

There are plenty of people out there just as qualified as her, who take their job seriously enough to practice what they preach.

So eat better and excersize more- and maybe I'd consider respecting her as the spokesperson for the general health of our population.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I guess all she'll be doing is giving people information on health issues.

Like, don't overeat its bad for you. You'll get obese, and you'll die.

Why practice what she preaches though?
She's giving out advice, not orders... no-one has to follow what she says, and she will be living proof of that!

If you overeat, and die when you're 50 instead of 80, fine... as long as you enjoyed yourself.

She'll do her job just perfectly, I'm sure.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
This is pretty lame. Since they have no idea what genetics are involved in her family history nor what her present medical situation is, it is disingenuous to even mention her size or question her ability to do the job. She seems to be fully qualified from all that has been reported. As long as she doesn't turn out to be another Jocelyn Elders, I can see no reason to show her the disrespect that is quoted in this article! Very low class!

Zindo

[edit on 7/24/2009 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Have you read what this lady has done? It should almost bring tears to your eyes its so dang amazing.

I would imagine she has run herself ragged and probably is pretty stressed and has a hard time getting a proper diet in because of caring for others so much. Stress makes you get fat and it sounds like she has had to deal with more the her share.

Normally I would agree and I'm the first to laugh at a fat Dr. Phil with a weight loss book. But read what this lady had been through and done in her community and who her mentors are, its pretty amazing.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I have to agree -- she may have accomplished a lot and her weight may be genetic (big boned?) but it's hard to get past someone telling you to exercise and eat healthy when they look like they don't. They might as well appoint Dick Cheney.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
But there are plenty of other people out there who have done just as much, without suffering from an avoidable and fatal disease (obesity).

She's not the only candidate. Pick someone with a little more pride.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Being overweight has NOTHING to do with your ability to hold a position *snip*.

This is what happens when the idiots bring tabloid thinking into real life.

edited to remove personnal attack
gallopinghordes
forum mod

[edit on 24-7-2009 by gallopinghordes]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ninecrimes

Can you please list a few? Please be sure they were already asked and turned down before posting their names. Also, make sure to run a full background check because it seems you know better then Obama and his team.

I edited this post so that its not a one line post. Yay for me....

[edit on 24-7-2009 by whoshotJR]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
This is pretty lame. Since they have no idea what genetics are involved in her family history nor what her present medical situation is, it is disingenuous to even mention her size or question her ability to do the job. She seems to be fully qualified from all that has been reported. As long as she doesn't turn out to be another Jocelyn Elders, I can see no reason to show her the disrespect that is quoted in this article! Very low class!

Zindo

[edit on 7/24/2009 by ZindoDoone]

Agreed, very low class. Some studies also indicate that men who are overweight do not have the issues within the business world as women who are overweight.

I would bet that if this was an overweight man being looked at for this position, no one would even be thinking about, much less mentioning his weight.

One set of standards for men, another for women.

I work out 4-5 times a week at my local gym. After my hour long workout, I then spend about an hour doing laps in the pool. I eat, mostly, healthy and organic. I am overweight. Genetics can be a real beach with lots of sand in the bikini.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
An over weight Surgeon General on an increasingly fat growing nation, I guess that is the new trend so lets get with the program.

Fat is beautiful, right?

I still take my health and weigh as priority in my life, regardless of my job, IQ or accomplishments.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
All I can say to this is. Have any of you seen Woody Allen's movie Sleeper?
That's what comes to mind every time I see a new medical report on how we as humans should live. Fact is with all the changes to the human body from all kinds of outside influence it's impossible to truly know whats right and wrong anymore! These studies are mostly to generate money from grants rather than true research!

Zindo

top topics

join