It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Board Admin: Does this make sense?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
So I go into a thread and read it and at the bottom of the thread there are two buttons:

Unfavorite
Subscribe

I know that "Subscribe" means subscribe to the particular thread (because that's what it means). The obvious assumption would be "Unfavorite" would be a vote against the thread (i.e. I mean I want to "unsubscribe" not a thumbs down).

But no...that's not what it is. It blocks the ENTIRE FORUM from your list.

I ask you...does this inconsistent use of two buttons side by side make any sense to you whatsoever?

Doesn't to me.

I'll give an example. You're at an electronic voting booth and at the bottom of a state question you have "vote no" and then you have "vote yes". Only the problem is "vote yes" applies to the particular state question while "vote no" is an automatic vote against ALL state questions.

I would think some one would kick a fit. Consider me kicking a fit.

[edit on 7-23-2009 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
So are you saying, for example, if you unfavourite a thread about Swine Flu, the whole Swine Flu and other Pandemics forum gets blocked?
If so, that's a bit weird.

Have to say Valhall I've never actually unfavourited anything before, so I had no idea what it does anyway.
But thanks for putting it out there.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Yes, it removes that forum's threads from your favorite forums. So you don't just get that subscription off, you lose the "favorites" on your "my favorite forums" section of your myats page.

I'm not really miffed, mind you, other than to say....I wouldn't have clicked it had I known about the inconsistency.

[edit on 7-23-2009 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

LOL! I discovered that by accident, too. I was on a thread and had a boat load of tabs open and my old, snail-speed computer had gotten to the point of needing to be rebooted - all lagging and hanging because I had so much going on. I was being impatient waiting for the thread to go to the next page and clicking my mouse at the bottom of the page (not because it actually would make it switch faster, but it felt like I was doing something to hurry it up) and the browser did one of those little hangs and I accidentally ended up clicking on the subscribe button. I didn't particularly want to be subscribed to that thread, so I scrolled back to the bottom of the thread and clicked on the un-favorite button (because I had forgotten how to unsub from threads) and then went to my myats page and panicked when I saw that one of my favorite forums was missing from the page.

I spent a bit trying to figure out what I had done and finally, on a whim, tried the button that was in place of the un-favorite button. It worked and everything was back on my myats page again. In a different order, but back.

It was really confusing. I hadn't used the un-favorite button ever before that, so I didn't realize that I wasn't just un-favoriting the individual thread, but the whole forum on my myats page. Now I just try to avoid buttons in general, because my luck is such that I'd be the one person who could crash the entire internet just by hitting the escape key or something!

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

I had wondered what that "un-fav" button did.

As you pointed out, it's confusing. IMO, it's probably unnecessary as well, since it's easy enough to unsubscribe to favorites directly on the MyAts page. The red X on top is very intuitive - but then adding forums to MyAts becomes not-so intuitive.

Perhaps it should be replaced by an add-to-Ats button (+MyATS) and (-MyAts)

new topics

top topics

join