It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a example of brainwashing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
ok so i was watching a movie yesterday and it was the movie the santa claus started thinking what it was like believing in father christmas and started wondering who was the 1 hu told me hu he was

your right television

the media brainwashes kids into believing that magical reindeer's fly a fat old guy to give everybody gifts

and kids genuinly beileve it

tell me this if it wasnt for tv of media kids wudnt no what he looks like

aint realy got alot more to say besides what do you guys think

and tv programs kids centrall beileve wen they are told he is not real it changes there tv programed word and they exit that matrix

parents wait for the perfect time to deplug them

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Well in case you havent realised it, the media actually picks this up from the culture, the tradition, and I am glad that they are carrying forward the tradition.

Just think of the smile on the kids face when he/she opens a gift on the morning of christmas given to him by santa. It is one of the pleasures of childhood, thinking that a mysterious person is delivering the gifts to the children if they were good through the year. And surely when they grow up, they will automatically realise that santa is not real.

Now from the brainwashing part of the media, in my opinion, it depends on the invidual who is watching the television, I have been many times engrossed in movies so much that I forget what is around me. It is only temporary and it will fade off once you realise it(just like now). So, to conclude, it is only temporary.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Yes Television is one of the main media they use in moulding the young mind and you are right, "The more encroached in fantasy they are", the easier it is to mould them.
The Disney / CIA connection is an example: How many minds have been moulded by these movies!!
This implanting of fantasy and make-believe at a young age is used as baseline program for later conditioning.

On a lighter note: I knew Santa didn't exist when I caught grandma drinking the whisky LOL

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I can actually see the amount of 'brainwashing factors' that have gone up since i was a kid..

Every television show has to have an underlying point to it...

What happened to mindless, pointless, funny shows, such as Ren and Stimpy or Rocko's Modern Life? Not anymore... now cartoons and such have to teach you good morals, (and even Spanish) at a young age...

I knew Santa didn't exist when I was able to distinguish handwriting.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
In a way, it's the media's task to perpetuate the 'tradition' of Santa Claus: after all, he was brought to life by an advertisement company. No advertisement sidekick has ever pumped the sales like Santa has..

I do wonder though whether children would be so engaged if it was only the media that mentioned him. American culture cuddles the whole idea in family life and school - a lot of people even sing songs. Maybe you're saying that even those traditions are simply caused by the media? Although I would have to agree that noone came up with Santa Claus by themselves - it's still the same advertisement sidekick - there are parts of other traditions that have since been linked to this one (for example, the christmas tree with the lights might date back to Celtic times). Therefore, I believe it's only the 'face' of the tradition that has been indoctrinated by the media, while the rituals within have been part of our culture for centuries.

In addition, the economy itself might function as media in this story - when shops stuff their windows with 'Christmas-gifts', reindeers, Santa Clauses - you can't get out of the house without being influenced. Even when you turn off the TV, the radio, internet.. you won't be able to escape 'the concept of Claus'.

At any rate, the tradition could never have bloomed like this without the media and economy. Whether we've been brainwashed or are simply enjoying it, is hard to say - objectively speaking, we're probably both. Even though we have the option not to participate, the decision to abstain is made increasingly hard through social processes - since Santa is so jolly and whatnot, you'd be a monster not to enjoy it. Those processes are what scare me the most. Even though I still have friends that hate the whole ordeal ("social-manipulative scam to pump economy" yadayada, you know), it seems that most of us take Santa's side - and although it's a social process taking us there, it's the media that fueled the ride.

Nice thread

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I've never understood this need to lie to your kids. Why would you tell them anything that would make them question your integrity later on. People always trot out the excuse that its such a magical time blah blah blah, you don't need to lie to your kids to create that. People have no idea how destructive this practice is.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Floating thru Reality
I've never understood this need to lie to your kids. Why would you tell them anything that would make them question your integrity later on. People always trot out the excuse that its such a magical time blah blah blah, you don't need to lie to your kids to create that. People have no idea how destructive this practice is.

Do you have kids? The excitement they get from such things is huge. It's almost not even describable how a kid feels on Christmas morning. The happiness they feel is off the charts compared to a normal day.

The kids eventually get that Santa isn't real. There is no harm done. I believed the same stupid stuff when I was a kid, and it certainly didn't make me destructive.

Destructive is all the people who want to take away their childhood and treat them as adults. They are kids, let them have their fun. They have plenty of time in their lives to become familiar with the "real world".

And I personally don't even care for Christmas myself due to how corporate and shallow it is. But I did it for my kids, and have no regrets about it either.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

In all fairness, some children are harmed. Though most children in our culture are quite happy and resilient in general, some are not; some might rely emotionally on how they think the world works. When those children finally get to the truth, some make the mistake of thinking the Christmas joy is as fake as Santa himself. They consciously link the 'off the charts happy feeling' to something that isn't real, and might even end up having a slight depression that returns every Christmas. Of course this is highly related to the way the children discover about Santa - when you have caring parents who let you down easily, you'll be just fine - and if you're a normal resilient kid, you'll be fine too. But once again, not all kids are like that. In my opinion, it would be harsh to ignore those (hyper)sensitive kids; celebrate all you want, but don't claim 'no harm is done'. Sure, more joy is done than harm; but the harm may linger all year, while the joy lasts mere weeks.

I should add - I don't have kids, and probably will stop thinking about these nuances as soon as I do. Part of the fun is being able to relive it yourself, of course .. looking forward already!

join