It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Republican: "My GOP: Too old, too white to win"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
The Republican party is nothing but a false opposition to Democrats.

That's it...and that's all.

It would help if we dumped political parties altogether...and ya know...vote on MERITS instead of R's and D's.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
As many thoughtful commentators have pointed out, there are three Republican parties these days: GOP-A is the Goldwater / Pseudo-Reagan party that is for sensable taxation, smaller, more efficient government and personal liberty. GOP-B is the Jerry Falwell "We will dictate your culture" fundamentalist wing, hopefully as dead as Jerry. Third is GOP-C, made up of libertarians afraid to join a third party. I have many relatives in group C. The problem now is that with America's changing demographics, the base for each of these sub-parties is getting smaller and smaller. The "base" of none of these three has yet realized that while you get to choose your direction as a party, you don't get to choose the demographic make-up of the voter base. Very little in GOP-B or GOP-C is going to appeal to a Latino or Asian-American voter base, and while some African-Americans may be attracted to GOP-B for religious reasons, popular Black culture is a major target of this same group.
I think "conservatives" will spend the next ten years or so fracturing into smaller identity groups; maybe within the same party, maybe not.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Office 4256

Very perceptive! but I would also add a 4th type of Republican and that
is the worshipers of Rush, Sean and Savage. They really only exist to hate Democrats, Libs, MSM and anyone that might have a different ideology than theirs. No real cohesive platform to define their conservatism other than slavish obedience to the Corporate Oligarchy and their devotion to their hero's.

Neither of the separate GOP faction is willing to accommodate any of the other sub groups and refer to them as RINOS.

And I completely agree with Bill G. I am old and white and a Republican and am seriously looking at 3rd parties. The GOP has become obsolete.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Well if it's not one thing, it's another ...

Republican senator on GOP's problems: "It's the Southerners"

The Republican Party has a Southern problem: It's been largely pushed out of other regions, and has become dominated by Southerners who are pushing the party even further to the right in what's become a downward spiral. Normally, Republicans can't say this, but one of the party's senators is taking advantage of the relative freedom offered him by his impending retirement to speak out.

In an interview with The Columbus Dispatch, Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio, identified what he believes to be the Republican Party's biggest problem at present:

We got too many Jim DeMints (R-S.C.) and Tom Coburns (R-Ok.). It’s the southerners. They get on TV and go 'errrr, errrrr.' People hear them and say, "These people, they’re southerners. The party’s being taken over by southerners. What they hell they got to do with Ohio?"

Voinovich is now the second major Republican politician in less than a year to recognize and criticize the party's increasing regional and demographic isolation -- the other does want a political future. Last November, Minnesota's Republican governor, Tim Pawlenty, acknowledged that the GOP can no longer compete in many areas of the U.S.

www.salon.com.../politics/war_room

[edit on 28 Jul 2009 by schrodingers dog]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join