It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apollo astronauts speak!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Apollo astronauts speak!

blogs.discovermagazine.com

On Monday, July 20th at 9:30 a.m. Eastern time (13:30 GMT), NASA will host a conversation about Apollo with six men who know a bit about it:

- James Lovell, Apollo 8 and Apollo 13
- Buzz Aldrin, Apollo 11
- David Scott, Apollo 15
- Charles Duke, Apollo 16
- Thomas Stafford, Apollo 10 and Apollo-Soyuz Test Project
- Eugene Cernan, Apollo 10 and Apollo 17

It will be streamed live on NASA TV, so you can watch online. NASA has a slew of things planned to celebrate this anniversary; see here for a list.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
NASA TV - www.nasa.gov...

blogs.discovermagazine.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-7-2009 by john124]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
What... No Edgar Mitchell? Hmmm

No Neil Armstrong? Meh!

IRM

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

What's the deal with Neil Armstrong these days? All I know is that he 'shies away from the media spotlight.'

Does he just really hate media stuff, or is there another reason why we never hear from him??

Anyone???

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by eniac

He just doesn't enjoy the media spotlight. A recent news article recalled how he became a University lecturer after the Apollo missions. It described how students would follow him around and even climb up to see him in his office.

To cut a long story short...he retired and learned to avoid publicity. He explained that he felt unfairly admired for stepping on the Moon when the thousands of guys that made it happen got no credit.

Essentially, modesty made it painful for him to be in the spotlight.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

At the 25th, he made a speech where he almost said, it's up to the next generation, because we didn't do it!

Here is the video!

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I believe this is why he shys the spotlight.

He shys it because he doesn't want to lie anymore...

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

thats soooo true!

i dont think Nasa will be saying anything besides that there is possible life on other planets but will check it out any way hopefully im wrong

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

OH, come on!!! Please give us a break. We know what video that came from, we know how it has been edited and mis-used, and we know it is dishonest in the extreme!

Wanna know what I heard? I heard emotion from the lost possibilities AFTER Apollo. I hear frustration that the continuation of manned exploration was dropped like a hot potato because of 'budget' constraints...namely, a little adventure called "Vietnam".

I see disappointment in losing the vision that he, and his fellows, risked their lives for!! THAT potential, squandered. Forgotten. Wasted. By stupid politicians, and ignorant, uncaring public.

No wonder he's disillusioned.......

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

There's no good reason to believe that the Apollo missions didn't land on the Moon. No reason to believe that Armstrong's reticence is anything more than modesty. No reason to ignore twelve moonwalks.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

yay, garbage for mainstream consumption

good job john124, I'm glad your on the job

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
from what i've read, neil armstrong had a pretty significant depression due to not being able to say what he really wants to tell about what he witnessed.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
They saw terrible things?
Not so in all the video transmissions.
And once landing they don't go too far away.

So for seeing anything we didn't see I'd say there is nothing to that.
Now if they saw nothing at all about the Moon, that's a big nothing.

To think they have something to say something new is way too much.
So lets hear what they say.
They will just stick to congratulating one another, what else.
Another Illuminati ceremony.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   

It was a very short speech. I wonder why Sibrel did not show it in its entirety. He has edited the speech to suite his agenda.
Armstrong was talking to a group of kids at the White House. His speech was meant to inspire. He was speaking of discoveries yet to be made.

Thank you, Mr. Vice President, Mr. President, members of Congress, fellow astronauts, ladies and gentlemen.

Wilbur Wright once noted that the only bird that cold talk was the parrot, and he didn't fly very well. So I'll be brief. This week America has been recalling the Apollo program and reliving the memories of those times in which so many of us here, colleagues here in the first rows, were immersed. Our old astrogeology mentor, Gene Shoemaker, even called in one of his comets to mark the occasion with spectacular Jovian fireworks. And reminding us once again of the power and consequence of celestial extracurricular activities.

Many Americans were part of Apollo, about one or two in each thousand citizens, all across the country. They were asked by their country to do the impossible--to envisage the design and to build a method of breaking the bonds of earth's gravity and then sally forth to visit another heavenly body. The principal elements--leaving earth, navigating in space and descending to a planet unencumbered with runways and traffic control--would include major requirements necessary for a space-faring people.

Today a space shuttle flies overhead with an international crew. A number of countries have international space programs. During the space age we have increased our knowledge of our universe a thousand-fold.

Today we have with us a group of students, among America's best. To you we say we have only completed a beginning. We leave you much that is undone. There are great ideas undiscovered, breakthroughs available to those who can remove one of the truth's protective layers. There are many places to go beyond belief. Those challenges are yours--in many fields, not the least of which is space, because there lies human destiny.

Speech

[edit on 7/18/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by breakingdradles
I believe this is why he shys the spotlight.

He shys it because he doesn't want to lie anymore...

Thank you...

Not a position you apply for if you are "a little shy" or "don't like the spotlight".

Maybe he thought no one would notice him. I mean he was just the first person on the moon...no big deal..."should go un noticed" ...."thank god, cause I sure do get an awful stage fright...." Gollllly

Being close to 80, his non disclosure agreements are probably almost up. He is guarding himself. You can tell it really bothers him, either to not be saying something or to be holding it back.

"there's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home"....you are almost home Neil...I don't blame you and never will. You have served humbly and are a hero for not making the show, but staying away from it....thank you Neil...

P.S. I know why you said Man and Mankind...thanks for pealing that protective layer of truth.

Peace

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
One of the broadcasts is currently underway right now.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by elfie
One of the broadcasts is currently underway right now.

www.nasa.gov...

I just watched the last 20 mins or so of it....

I didn't know the Russian's have control over the International Space Station's thrusters. I knew NASA would have to rely on Soyuz craft in 2 years though. Seems the Russian's will have the majority control from then onwards.

Also Buzz Aldrin said after they were all dead it would be up to the media to provide the inspiration for the public, and in particular young people, but since that's good news and not bad news, then the media will be less inclined to bother. And guess what when BBC News 24 were showing this live, they then left 5 mins before the end to discuss swine flu.

Oh the irony!!! It makes me want to be sick. The BBC decided we would be more interested in the health minister repeating the same swine flu advice to the same idiots who have to keep being told the same information. I switched it off and watched the rest on NASA TV.

The BBC are absolutely pathetic to do that. Just leave the live transmission on of the astranauts speaking until it's finished, and show the house of commons afterwards as a recording. And you can watch it on the parliamentary channel live anyway, which is free on freeview and online to watch.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by john124]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I didn't know that about the International Space Station either.

What a great panel! It certainly was interesting to hear the variety of approaches being promoted by the astronauts who have had a taste of the future frontiers--a microcosm of opinions on what is required to continue the exploration of our macrocosm. Highlighted were the many opportunities for research and exploration we have today, whereas the Apollo Missions had a tight focus and clear cut path.

Among the positions supported by the astronauts:

--Manned missions to Mars

--Keeping the International Space Station program up and running

--Future exploration of the Moon

--Flight capable reusable shuttle craft

--Increased government funding of space exploration

--Private investment in space exploration

Looking forward to the event at the Newseum at 12:30 EDT.

top topics

join