It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marines Under Investigation After Autistic Man Allowed to Enlist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Marines Under Investigation After Autistic Man Allowed to Enlist

abcnews.go.com

Joshua Fry's career as a Marine never should have been.

Now his recruiter and other military personnel who pushed the autistic 20-year-old through boot camp could face criminal charges.

Fry, who has a history of abuse, neglect and a criminal record, is sitting in a cell at Camp Pendleton on disciplinary charges as the military investigates why a Marine recruiter picked Fry up from a California group home for the mentally disabled and drove him to a recruitment center to sign him up.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
What a sad story which really brings to light the failings and difficulties with military recruitment.

The poor lad has had a terrible upbringing and I just hope he can get the support he needs.

It's scary that he made it so far through the process, even making combat training.

Still, it's better to have this system than the draft. Although I don't think TPTB could get away with it now, or not?

[edit on 17-7-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
just my not so humble opinion - but this says more about the increasingly widespread diagnosis of ` autistic ` than the USMC conduct

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

You have a good point! In schools today if your just a stubborn kid that wants answers, your labeled Autistic because the kids speak out and demand an answer to 'Why"!

Zindo

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
and another issue - what the hell were the " care " staff at the home he resided at doing - IIRC , the USMC basic training is 13 weeks - 1 week induction then 12 weeks ` boot camp ` during which there is ZERO leave - the cadets first leave comes before they go on to AIT

so mr fry must have been ` awol ` from his care facility for 13 weeks - and would h\ave been almost unrecognisable when / if he returned

so what the hell were his " cares " ding while he disapeared for 13 weeks ???

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I wonder how anybody could tell the difference between a Marine and a person with autism?

*ducks to avoid thrown objects*

new topics

top topics

join