It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anchorage officer accused of rape while on duty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Anchorage officer accused of rape while on duty

www.google.com

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A decorated Anchorage police officer has been accused of sexually assaulting multiple women while he was on duty.

Anthony Rollins, a 13-year veteran and former department spokesman, was indicted by a grand jury and arrested Wednesday. He's being held on a $100,000 bond.

"Let me stress that Rollins' alleged actions are aberrant and detestable," Police Chief Rob Heun said at a press conference. "Officers are compelled to function independently within the confines of the laws they are sworn to uphold and have the authority to enforce. They are and should be truste
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Normally I'm very supportive of the Police, but this sort of thing is getting to be way to frequent in the news.

I know they have had a hard time finding qualified people to fill all the openings in the APD for years now. Could some of this relate to that fact that I'm sure has been an issue in all departments for many decades?

www.google.com

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
From the Anchorage Daily News.

An Anchorage Police Department officer has been charged with sexually assaulting six women over the past three years, police chief Rob Heun announced at a press conference this afternoon.

This will raise a horrible stink around here. Even though it is becoming a large city, we still have somewhat of a small town attitude here.

If he is guilty, lets hope he gets the maximum. There is nothing much worse than people with the public's trust doing acts like this.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Salinas Police Chief

Allegations of police misconduct made by a local resident led to the arrest Monday of Salinas police officer Jesus M. Sánchez, 34, on suspicion of assault to commit rape, Police Chief Louis Fetherolf said Tuesday.

"It's a sad occasion to give this kind of news," Fetherolf said in a news conference.

Sánchez, a former Alisal High School boys soccer coach and 10-year veteran of the police department, allegedly attacked a woman on separate occasions during a number of years while he was on duty and in uniform.

Minden Police Officer.

MINDEN, LA (KSLA) -A Minden, Louisiana police officer is now on the other side of a jail cell.

Officer First Class Daniel Murray was arrested after reports that he allegedly raped and molested a 15-year-old friend of the family.

Midland Texas.

A Midland Independent School District police officer has been arrested and charged with two second-degree felonies; one of sexual assault of a child and one of improper student/ teacher relationship, police reported late Wednesday night.

Columbus Reserve Officer.

A Columbus reserve police officer was fired Wednesday after he was arrested in Oktibbeha County on statutory rape charges.

Reserve officer Richard Carr, 45, was “relieved of his duties as a police officer” Wednesday after Oktibbeha County officials notified the Columbus Police Department the officer had been arrested on the sex charges.

New Castle Corrections Officer

NEW CASTLE, Del. - June 24, 2009 - (WPVI) -- A former Delaware Department of Corrections employee is charged with rape after, investigators say, he coerced a female inmate into having sex with him.

Investigators say Roger L. Thompkins, of New Castle, had sex with a 24-year-old inmate at the Women's Work Release Center in the facility's laundry room back on April 11th.

Thompkins told the inmate to meet him there, authorities say.

NYPD

Middletown Police served a search warrant on the locker of a suspended city cop in the 26th Precinct house in Morningside Heights. It belongs to 39-year-old officer Trent Young, who's been arrested on rape charges relating to his off-duty job as a karate instructor

I had no idea this was this common. I'm not sure I can ever again tell a child to trust an authority figure or know that my own Wife would be safe if pulled over by an Officer on the road.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Well he's not the first. There was an officer in California that did the same thing. When he got arrested and trial was approaching he committed suicide. What I can't believe is that he's a thirteen year veteran, and he's been doing this for quite some time now. Surprised that no victim's came forward sooner. I guess maybe it's that small town attitude there. Please don't judge us all by the bad action's of some. There are still a lot of good police out there that serve and protect.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
... There was a sherriff's deputy arrested and convincted for molesting a 15 year old girl, in Santa Maria CA. a couple years ago.

... I'm glad justice is done, .... but it just shows me that something is fundamentaly wrong some of the types of people who are drawn to law enforcement. I dont know if they have complexes, ... inferiority issues, ..... or just hate themselves.

....... what happens when you give the bullied the right to do the bullying ??

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by skyeyes

I think that professions like this attract control freaks. I'd imagine it is actually more common among these people than the general population.

An Officer assaults somebody, then tells them tell on me you die? Pretty powerful incentive to stay quiet I'd bet.

I've often thought about the type of person who would even want to be a Cop. It is inevitable it would attract this type of person along with the bullies and control freaks. The best Cop would be somebody who really hates the job, those who love it worry me.

I've also read that Spousal and Child abuse is much higher among Officers as well as Alcoholism and Drug Abuse. I read a study on a whole state back in about 1995 that concluded abuse, drugs and alcohol were as much as twice as likely with a person with a badge.

The only answer I can see is they need to screen these people with thorough psychological tests far beyond what they are using or would normally use.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
S&F

One of the things that disturbs me about when LEO's break the law is that
the "Blue Code" kicks in and their fellow officers that know about the offense are afraid to turn the perp. in. That's not "Protect and Serve" that's complicity, aid and abetting and conspiracy; also crimes.

I much prefer to take care of my own problems than call the cops.

When a society is afraid of it's police; it doesn't bode well for the future.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I haven't watched KTUU tonight, so I haven't heard about this. Wow, I think I've even heard of this officer's name before.

Well, between this and "Trooper Gate" ... I think we need to screen our candidates better...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I'm sure he will pay dearly. Huen is nobody to have mad at you. I'm pretty confident that there won't be any cover up here in Anchorage.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

There are those you are cut out to be cops and those who are not, unfortunately some do make it through the filter. Usually those don't last long. I think that some of these bad officer's stay as long as they do because of family/co-workers covering for them.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
An interesting article on abuse of power by Police.

Serious cases of abuse of police authority
often stimulate intense public debate.
For example, a videotape of Rodney
King being beaten by Los Angeles police
officers or reports of the torture of Abner
Louima by New York City police capture
the public’s attention and raise troubling
questions regarding the limits of legitimate
police authority in a democratic
society. Are such events isolated occurrences
in particular police departments
or extreme examples of a more general
problem plaguing police departments
across the United States? Does the fact
that such abuses often involve minority
victims reveal important disparities in the
way that law enforcement officers treat
members of certain racial, socioeconomic,
or cultural groups? In turn, what
measures can be taken to constrain police
abuse, and which are likely to be
most effective? Although such questions
have been raised and debated in the media,
by politicians, and by police scholars
and administrators, little is known about
how police officer

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6adc044025cc.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4d0ac3e28884.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Normally I'm very supportive of the Police, but this sort of thing is getting to be way to frequent in the news.

I know they have had a hard time finding qualified people to fill all the openings in the APD for years now. Could some of this relate to that fact that I'm sure has been an issue in all departments for many decades?

www.google.com

It is so upsetting when someone in authority abuses that position of trust. Cops have tremendous power, after all, they are one of the groups by profession who, if they feel under threat, can lawfully kill you...Do people accuse the cops when they did nothing wrong. It happens.

But so many of these accusations I believe are true, and are disgusting. Years ago I had a friend who became a cop for all the right reasons. He really wanted to help people. After ten years of small department office politics, in a community he grew up in I should add, was to much, and now he works, at quite a pay cut, as a school custodian. (While a cop, he also had a one way 1-1/2hr trip from home). Now he's also ten minutes from work...

The other kind of person attracted to police work can attrack little Hitler's, in to power tripping, lack for common decency, and for the most part being a pain in the ass. Police, given the power they have should be held to a higher standard. Thats got to be the price of admission. Psyc. testing should be intense, pay better, and help if they have emotional reasons to need it, with out fear of being labled a "loon, cry baby, whatever".

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   

That list is a sad commentary on the police department and their hiring practices. Guess we can add this one to the pile.

Stillwater police officer arrested

STILLWATER, Okla. (AP) - A Stillwater police officer has been suspended without pay from his job at a junior high school after being accused of having an inappropriate relationship with a 15-year-old girl.

Louis Alvie "Buck" Morris, 48 years old, was charged Tuesday with two felony counts of rape by instrumentation and three counts of lewd acts with a child.

Morris has been a police officer in Stillwater since 1992 and had worked as a school resource officer for the past six years.

new topics

top topics

join