It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man survives 300 days on island with knife, pig

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Man survives 300 days on island with knife, pig

www.dailytelegraph.com.au

WITH just two knives for cutting and a baby pig for company, Xavier Rosset sat solo on an uninhabited Pacific island for 300 lonely days.

But unlike Robinson Crusoe, the young Swiss adventurer made a choice to isolate himself totally, surviving on food and shelter got by his own hand to challenge the modern way of life.

His island of choice was Tofua, a 64-square-kilometre volcanic isle home to nothing except "some pigs, lots of coconuts, a lake and tropical forest".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Pretty cool story. I have always wanted to attempt something like this. I love Lost and Castaway, and the thought of being isolated and surrounded by nature for an extended period of time really gets me going. Though it would be hard, as the man from the article said it was, I'm sure it would be very rewarding as well.

He packed up his things, left his family and girlfriend behind, and went for it. 300 days of isolation and survival. It takes guts but I am definitely going to attempt this at some point in my life.

He also said he brought along a video camera to record his stay for a documentary. I would love to see this when it comes out.

www.dailytelegraph.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I didn't know there were any uninhabited islands left! I would love this as well, but I would like to take my whole family and see how we fare!

Maybe do a month, and then go back and do 3 months.

The documentary is a great idea. That will pay for his expenses!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I would certainly want to do that - just so long as I had a good camera and sufficent batteries/cards for it plus an adequate supply of whisky and tobacco

Never spent more than 10 days absolutely totally alone before.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Les Stroud (survivorman) and Bear Grylls (Man vs wild) eat your heart out!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by bringthelight
It takes guts but I am definitely going to attempt this at some point in my life.

No you won't!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

well if SHTF, we all might get to do it for free, no trip anywhere required

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

what a coincidence
I didn't know the abreviation, SHTF
so i googled it

first result was "The Modern Day Survival Forum"

wow

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

SHTF = Sh*t hit the fan

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

The mission was to try to relearn the natural survival skills which urban men have long forgotten, but Mr Rosset said it was far from easy.

"At the beginning I had to try hard to survive," the former professional snowboarder said. "I had to find the food and water, build shelter, learn how to fish, everything."
www.dailytelegraph.com.au...

Personally, I feel that it was rather foolhardy to attempt pulling off something of this nature without already possessing the knowledge of how to survive in a "extreme' situation!

It is definitely a profound testament to the sort of mindset that is necessary for someone to adopt in order to survive though.

Good for him!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
The documentary is a great idea. That will pay for his expenses!

Expenses?

The pigs and coconuts already covered his expenses.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Exellent, thank you for bringing this to my attention.. Im fasinated with this stuff.. Cant wait for the documentary to be aired..

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Pfft bear grylls is a phoney. the shows he was in are faked. and some peopel even claim that you would be killed if you followed the advice in them. (coming from real survival people)

I have watched a couple of his shows and he is pathetic. he has no idea what he is doing. i have see him stung in the face by bee's so his face swelled up, and then kill a snake that was no harm to him.

And killed a little turtle near a seafull of fish, because he couldn't catch a thing.

also he cant put up shelters properly or in time for nightfall, and ends up sleeping covering in leaves.

he lights fires while deep in a cave. (carbon monoxide, Dumas.)

he;S terrible. and i truly belive he has faked his credentials to get on the shows

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
A baby pig for company, eh? This is definitely a "don't ask, don't tell"....

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by radio_for_peace

Cue the Deliverance banjo...had a nice laugh. In all seriousness, anything than can keep your spirits up in that situation is a big help. I would be talking to that pig like wilson.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by bringthelight
It takes guts but I am definitely going to attempt this at some point in my life.

No you won't!

Reverse psychology...I like it. I have a trip to the Colorado Rockies for a week in August where I plan camping and fending for myself. I do watch a lot of survival shows and do a lot of reading on the subject. My trip will be a test to see if I can handle the real deal.

Thx for the motivation.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Sure, may be a cool story, but let's be real here.

WITH just two knives for cutting and a baby pig for company

Is there such a thing as piggy peodiphilia?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
So.... I could do that! Kill some pig, dring some coconut and voila! A excuse for a 300 day holiday (or vacation as americans call it)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
wow I'm jealous of the guy. I've always wanted to ditch life here in modern society and find an island to give the rest of my life, fishing, sunbathing, building your own house from trees, hunting the jungle for food.

It would be wonderful and I would be away from all the crap going on in the real world and I would have no wants or needs. The only thing that prevents from living my dream is one thing from my plan is eluding me thus far, a beautiful woman to share my island paradise with, once I find one who is willing to share my dream then it's time to find an island to live on and then its goodbye world, hello adventure island!

And if some aliens invaded, or a tsunami hit my island or if something else ended up killing at least I'd happy that I got to live my dream!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

theres thousands of uninhabitated islands but no undiscovered islands

<<   2 >>

join