It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS search feature is totally disfunctional

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Why is this ? I can copy exactly the headline of a thread and it will NOT be found ? How is that I can copy the same headline and it will be found in NUMEROUS threads from the Google search feature - yet clearly does not exist there.

The answer is the ATS has the worst search tool of ANY forum I have seen on the Internet - not just bad but basically totally useless - a quick glance at almost any forum will show you this.

Now I know these things because I have hand built almost a dozen of these types of sites, including some internal sites which cater for entire nations educational system - so don't bother telling me it is functional or I don't know how to use it, or I am even wrong - it just is.

So my question is WHY ? Why should anyone even bother putting in a search term when it simply doesn't work ??

Why can't ATS provide something even remotely functional ?

Come on - lets fix this as ATS despite its commercial sell out does still serve SOME purpose for those who know how to use it - sort it out.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I myself miss the old boolan (probably misspelled... been a while) search; seemed I was able to find what I was looking for quicker and easier, and allowed for more relevant searches, in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by The Soothsayer

Would be decent to be able to search by poster, title, thread, key words etc. What blows me away entirely is that posting a complicated thread title into the search function WILL return multiple unrelated threads and yet no reference to the actual thread ?

Poor, no sorry scrap that - Amateur.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
you should probably shoot a complaint via u2u, instead of a thread. Or you could also post in the issues thread.

[edit on 14-7-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I support this thread, if your gonna update anything else on this site soon please make it a more powerful search function.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
If you are looking for an article title to see if it has been posted already, try putting the title in quotes. So the title: Life on Mars would be "Life on Mars". Since threads on news articles have to use the original title it's a pretty sure-fire way to make sure the article doesn't already have a thread.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/24648bb75065.jpg[/atsimg]

Just for the sake of humor.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by audas
so don't bother telling me it is functional or I don't know how to use it, or I am even wrong - it just is.

Functional, maybe not.

How to use it. Who knows.

You may be even wrong, yes.

What I am getting at is your points might be truthfull and factual, but you are arrogant, rude and unattractive.

You have no future on ATS in my own opinion.

But I could be wrong...

Just thinking out loud, have a good one.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
*Coughs* I thought it was part of the "charm"... like a takeaway near me that's quite good, but never really sends what you ordered.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican

Originally posted by audas
so don't bother telling me it is functional or I don't know how to use it, or I am even wrong - it just is.

Functional, maybe not.

How to use it. Who knows.

You may be even wrong, yes.

What I am getting at is your points might be truthfull and factual, but you are arrogant, rude and unattractive.

You have no future on ATS in my own opinion.

But I could be wrong...

Just thinking out loud, have a good one.

Lucky your opinion isn't valued - you are clearly sophomanic and should resist the autocontrectation -

Look forward to the response - should be utterly irrelevant........

CX

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Never had a problem with it myself, but if we are looking to improve it, a facility where you can include a little more info might be nice.

CX.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
There is something called constructive criticism. That is not it.

We welcome criticism and suggestion as to where we can improve the forum. Always. But to insult something like that - which you get for free? Do you really feel that is the way to go?

Please add your thoughts to the ATS issues thread
Or the
Forums suggestions thread

Thank you.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join