posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:29 AM
The prison in Butner, NC has three separate units. Yes, one is a minimum security camp. The other two are medium security. As I understand it, Madoff
will be in one of the medium security areas.
I live about 20 miles from this place and have a friend who's a guard there. It's a secure facility. They have had a number of high-profile
prisoners over the years.
Here's a list of past and present prisoners at Butner. From a news article on wral. com:
* Former televangelist Jim Bakker
* Penthouse publisher Larry Flynt
* John Hinckley, who tried to assassinate former President Ronald Reagan
* John Rigas, founder of Adelphia Communications, and his son, Tim, the company's chief financial officer. They were convicted on multiple
charges of securities fraud, conspiracy to commit bank fraud and bank fraud.
* Jonathan Pollard, the American convicted of spying for Israel more than two decades ago.
* Omar Abdel-Rahman, also known as the blind sheik, who was sentenced to life in prison in 1995 for his role in a plot to kill Egyptian President
Hosni Mubarak and blow up New York City landmarks, including the United Nations. He was sentenced to life in prison in 1995 and moved to Butner in
So I doubt they're trying to make him disappear.