It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going on tour, survival style

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Hey all, I'm going to be embarking on a trip in a couple more weeks which should be a bit of adventure. First, I'm going to be riding a motorized bike from Mexico to Canada, a feat i believe will be a first, or at least the first time someone did it on motorized bike and documented it. After arriving in Vancouver and hanging out in BC for a few days, i plan to trade my motorized bike for my pedalbike, and do a pedal tour of Oregon.

Oregon has more skateparks than anywhere else, all close together. I want to skate every park in oregon eventually, and this year i'll go hit as many as i can until the rains come. I'm going to make my pilgrimage to Burnside in Portland, for those who don't know, Burnside is a concrete legend.

I'll be camping every night and be completely self sufficient aside from buying some food. I'm planning on taking 2 to 3 months to complete the trip.

I've never done any bicycle touring so i want to go do some. I've done extended tours on dirtbike, and even walking, but i figured i should go do it on bicycle as training in another lesson of survival, that, and fun.

I also may be stopping along the way and speaking at schools on topics of survival, on "green" transportation, and on building a better world for all of us. If i'm on the road when school starts up again i'll probably be doing a series of lectures for elementary and middle school kids.

But anyways, i figure 3 months on the road in bug-out mode should go a bit towards fine-tuning my survival skills to a high degree.

Has anyone else here done any touring like this? I'm a professional bike mechanic so i've got my bikes covered as far as what i need to know and bring, and i've got a sponsor for bikes, so i can get all the bikes and parts i need shipped to me wherever i am if necessary.

Also if any of you skaters on here want to meet up for a session in Oregon, Washington, or Vancouver, PM me and let me know what skatepark is your local, and i'll try to let you know when i'll be there.

new topics

join