It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

list of good books about ancient astronauts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
for any newcomers to the subject, these books are very interesting. the more about this topic you read, the more interesting it gets, in my opinion. feel free to add any more good books that you've read. (all books are usually available from amazon.com)

well books by von daniken of course - i thought eyes of the sphinx, odyssey of the gods and his 'my pictorial evidence for the impossible' were interesting ones.

zecharia sitchin's 12th planet - and others in his series. he is supposedly one of the few people able to read cuniform/ancient sumerian inscriptions etc, and he's arrived at a similar conclusion to von daniken.

graham hancock is a journalist who has written a number of interesting books including underworld, message of the sphinx and fingerprints of hte gods.

robert temple's 'the sirius mystery' discusses the impossible knowledge of the dogon about sirius and also similar knowledge possessed by the egyptians etc (i.e. that sirius b and c existed, which we only discovered recently and which arent visible to the naked eye; as well as details of the orbit of sirius b, its weight/size etc.)

'gods of eden' by william bramley. its written by a lawyer who started off researching military history, then discovered the ufo as a linking factor throughout history. a really interesting book. (together with journalist jim marr's 'rule by secrecy' it might change the way you look at the way the world works.)

the lost city series of books by david childress. these have tonnes of interesting information about worldwide anomalies, strange ancient cities and megaliths (big stones) and all sorts of weird stuff. there's a lot of unexplained weirdness out there; and a lot of sites are mentioned that many people may never have heard of.

childress's book about vimana (ancient flying aircraft of india - mentioned in the vedas); technology of the gods, etc.

riddle of the pacific - by john brown.

i also think the epic of gilgamesh is an interesting read, if you read it with an evd perspective. (so is herodotus probably).

i think that people should plow through a lot of these books and more before they decide one way or the other what they believe about aliens in our ancient past.

for people unconvinced about aliens, 'alien harvest' by linda howe is an interesting book. another of my favourite books is into the bermuda triangle by gian quasar.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Walter Raymond Drake's

Gods and Spacemen in the Ancient East
Gods and Spacemen in Ancient Israel
Gods and Spacemen in the Ancient West
Gods and Spacemen in the Ancient Greece and Rome

I haven't even read these ones yet. They're kind of old and hard to find, but they're supposed to be good. So here I am recommending books I haven't bought yet

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by rapunzel222

Graham Hancock does not believe in the ancient astronaut theory. He and others state that there was an earlier advanced society that was wiped out 12,000 years ago and the survivors taught about themselves through the Egyptian, American, Indus and other societies. One problem with that theory is what became of the several thousand years between the great catastrophe civilization and the rise of the known ones?

The ancient astronaut hypothesis has a lot of good evidence going for it. Unfortunately, some of the earlier writers left their ethics at home when they wrote their first books. It is unfortunate, as that was over thirty years ago and the ideas do need to get a serious looking at.

BTW, Erich Von Daniken does have a new book coming out in August called "History is Wrong". I expect many heated debates when this book comes out.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I personally recommend "The Gold Of The Gods" by Erich Von Daniken..
It really opened my eyes to this topic and presents alot of good ideas (aswell some more questionable ones!) Worth hunting down!

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
this is a classic.

the book of enoch

this is one of the dead sea scrolls.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
If you haven't read this yet, I highly recommend it. I started it and couldn't stop until I was done.

You will need to keep an open mind, but if you read the entire thing you won't be disappointed. I thought it explained everything.

www.theparacast.com/alieninterview/alieninterview.pdf

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I read an interesting book recently regarding the alien astronaut hypothesis called "One Hundred Thousand Years Of Man's Unknown History" by Robert Charroux. This was written in 1963, a precursor to many subsequent writings on such matters.

Items covered include the Glozel artifacts, Prometheus, Friar Gerbert, Bamian stones, Gusmao 1709 airplane, Julien Cusseau and Rosicrucianism.

To quote from the blurb:-

"Robert Charroux, leading pioneer in the realms of Primohistory, presents revolutionary new information about Man's mysterious ancestors from the long forgotton past. These epoch-making discoveries include:
The recently discovered people of Glozel who knew how to write and made glass in the Stone Age.
Astounding evidence of a Venusian settlement at Tiahuanaco in the Andes.
Proof positive of an atomic war in India before the dawn of time.
The real facts behind the legend of Prometheus.
The extraordinary history of Agartha and the secrets guarded by the Maha Chauhan."

Interesting forteana from an earlier perspective. Worth hunting down for an alternative and obscure read!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by qubix

Of all the claims of astro-archeology, that's probably the most ridiculous I've seen yet. Is there anything else about this on the web? Just curious if its any logical reasoning whatsoever behind that "astounding evidence". I pretty much know the answer already, but still.

[edit on 14-7-2009 by merka]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by merka

Originally posted by qubix

Of all the claims of astro-archeology, that's probably the most ridiculous I've seen yet. Is there anything else about this on the web? Just curious if its any logical reasoning whatsoever behind that "astounding evidence". I pretty much know the answer already, but still.

[edit on 14-7-2009 by merka]

The book was written in 1963 - and is interesting for the 'Fortean' reader, and those interested in pre-Von Danikan thinking.

But it's not meant, in any way, to be a scholastic or revelatory piece of work. The author just brings to attention some interesting topics and concepts from an earlier time that I've not seen written about elsewhere...

Anyway, his idea was that Venusians were the founders of Atlantis aeons ago, and, after cataclism, spread their knowledge to surrounding continents. This, of which, led to the pyramid culture of various pre-diluvian nations. He uses evidence from a variety of historical sources - from stone age remnants to 'modern-day' rosicrucian ideology, to express his theory.

I, personally, do not endorse this book as a reflection of any of my own theories - just an interesting read of someone else's...

Pure Forteana...

[edit on 15/7/2009 by qubix]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
As a student of Anthropology I am unaware of any citation, in any true academia text, that seriously refers to ancient astronauts as a real phenomenon.

Am I missing something?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
if you can read mayan..................
i've seen this, it's one thing that's always gotten me thinking of possibilities.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by one_enlightened_mind
As a student of Anthropology I am unaware of any citation, in any true academia text, that seriously refers to ancient astronauts as a real phenomenon.

Am I missing something?

yeah. you should read the above books, you might begin to think you are missing something.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008
reply to post by rapunzel222

Graham Hancock does not believe in the ancient astronaut theory. He and others state that there was an earlier advanced society that was wiped out 12,000 years ago and the survivors taught about themselves through the Egyptian, American, Indus and other societies. One problem with that theory is what became of the several thousand years between the great catastrophe civilization and the rise of the known ones?

well, thanks for clearing that up for me. arrested on a technicality...

personally i think hancock is just not game to mention aliens or von daniken. he's trying to preserve his reputation, but its not doing him any good, he's being attacked by the mainstream anyway.

if the civilization was wiped out in a poleshift or floods in 10 000 BC, it might have taken them a while to re-group and start building stuff again. or maybe there was another disaster around 4000BC or something.. who knows.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Why would the soemerian people lie ?

its like simply red..would I lie to you..?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
"Chariots of the Gods" By Erich von Daniken also deals with contact with Aliens in the distant past, a good read for those who enjoy that sort of thing.

Just my 2 cents

EDIT :Actually the picture that rubbertramp posted was taken from this book, i thought i recognized it LOL

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Steilhe]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
this is a classic.

the book of enoch

this is one of the dead sea scrolls.

Aww #, climate change.

"And again, observe ye the days of summer how the sun is above the earth over against it. And you seek shade and shelter by reason of the heat of the sun, and the earth also burns with growing heat, and so you cannot tread on the earth, or on a rock by reason of its heat."

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by one_enlightened_mind

Am I missing something?

You won't find any of these "alternative history theories" in textbooks or history books. I think modern day students, especially in the fields of archaeology, anthropology, Egyptology and palaeontology are discouraged against thinking "outside the box".

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
if you can read mayan..................
i've seen this, it's one thing that's always gotten me thinking of possibilities.

Yes, and if you could read Mayan, you'd know that the above is a depiction of their great king Pacal falling through the tree of life on his way to the afterlife.

See, the glyphs describing it are right there on the walls in his tomb and the beautiful carving you posted is on the lid of his sarcophagus inside the same tomb.

Mayan was finally completely translated in the early 1980s, long after VonDaniken made this remarkably idiotic claim.

However, for some reason, VD has yet to revisit this stupid, stupid idea made in his even more intellectually bankrupt "book," even though it is today quite well understood and unassailably not any depiction of anything to do with space travel.
Probably would result is a small shrinkage of whatever residuals he still collects on the children's book he wrote.

Harte

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I'd recommend:

After the Ice: A Global Human History 20,000 - 5,000BC - by Steven Mithin
Climate Change in Prehistory: the End of the Reign of Chaos - by William J Burroughs
Supercontinent: 10 billion years in the Life of our Planet - by Ted Neild
The Goddess & the Bull: Catalhoyuk, an Archaeological Journey to the Dawn of Civilisation - by Michael Balter
Out of Eden: The Peopling of the World - by Stephen Oppenheimer

They may not have any ancient astronauts in them (although a couple do touch on subjects like Atlantis) but you will end up knowing a lot, lot more about the history of modern man than the likes of Von Daniken etal!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

well thanks; although the topic of this thread is actually about ancient astronauts.

<<   2 >>

join