It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do so many people act like the idea of ESP isn't possible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
While I don't believe that ESP is technically possible- like- as an innate ability- except for very rare cases I could very well foresee someone creating an invention that would allow artificial ESP. You could create an invention which would send some electricity- or- some kind of beams or something- to someone's mind, they would pick up the soundwave, etc, their brain would translate it, and, they would pick up the thought. That's ESP right there. I believe that one could very well believe that ESP could be done. Yet people seem so distraught to the very possibility of this. Is it part of human nature- which- is why people feel better when they feel as if others can't talk to their own heads? I don't understand why people have this huge skepticism towards the possibility of ESP.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
They haven't experienced any ESP in their lives so therefore, it can't exist.

That's all well and good until something unexplained happens in their lives.

Then, I guess they have a crisis of lack of belief.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by Wildbob77]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I knew you were going to say that

Who is denying it? And why?

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This ability and more in inate in all of us. And I am pissed that it has to be surpressed or branded evil or satanic/occult.

People say/belive it isn't real few reasons:
1) government brain washing
how would the government be able to controll the sheep..er, I mean, the masses if they had power? This is where the flouride in the water comes in, all of the flouride is attacted to the pineal gland, which happens to be that psychic part of the brain. It is a photosensitive gland and the flouride covers up the gland and it shrinks and won't work.

2) Religious brainwashing
(same as above replace gov. with religions) and if they had ESP they could figure out that they are being screwed by them. Also they make it sound like those that do it are along the lines of doing evil or that they are a witch and that they are going to hell.

3) Science can't explain it, therefore it isn't real.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
The answer is somewhat simple:
Lack of understanding.

The person has never experienced it and if they have they also did not understand it.

Ignorance.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
It's very simple, because this is what the general people have been conditioned into believing, whether they know or acknowledge it or not.

Very much in the same way that people might view non-terrestrial beings traveling to our planet in ships of some kind as science fiction and laughable, people may view paranormal things like ESP in the realm of magic some type of which craft etc.

It's just the way people are conditioned throughout their lives. From a scientific standpoint they may deny it because, again, it is magic or delusional, which is the way they are taught to view it; Even though there very well could be a scientific explanation to paranormal things like remote viewing and so on.

It's just the way things are atm, unfortunately... now im not saying everything paranormal is true or ETs visit us all the time or whatever, but I am surely open to those possibilities and information on such topics, as I keep an open mind, thus do not dismiss information that may not be in my specific realm of thought or understanding.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Sentry-

That's how I tend to think of it. But I would think that more people would be willing or open to the idea of ESP. People are becoming less and less conditioned by movies about aliens. I think people are actually starting to wake up and see that there is the possibility of life on other planets. Of course us conspiracy bluffs already knew that a long time ago... but... is it really how they're conditioned? I mean, I guess it kind of is. It's like how we saw so many super hero movies- that- when we saw the video of the people walking around in a freeway getting hit by a car and then walking off... all of us on ATS were in shock. Remember that?

I guess a lot of it could have to do with conditioning. But I don't understand why people think it's completely impossible. I mean ESP happens in nature all the time doesn't it? Why wouldn't people think that it's explainable by science? Why wouldn't people think that it can be done? I tend to think that one gets ESP only after traumatic events, and, usually at best- people will have the ability to speak to their own guardian spirit, or, conscious, or whatever you call it, as with me... but... I don't completely rule out the possibility that ESP exists. Just because I don't experience it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I think special powers were created for children. You keep them chasing invisible super powers untill they grow up. This trap works all on its own... those losers are wanting so bad to magicaly lift cars with their minds that actualy going out and learning something usefull becomes meaningless.

All of this magic is only fool speak for technology. Have fun chasing your tails.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I agree and see where you are coming from, and life elsewhere certianly is at a higher believability rate than stuff like ESP. I suppose this is because we have come such a long way in terms of space exploration where it doesn't seem so illogical that we may not be alone, you know? It has also been a long time coming, remember UFO history is many decades old now, so people have 'caught on'..

ESP however, some think it is unscientific and mythical, or illogical, and it is definitely in the realm of disinformation. I mean, come on, there are TONS of BS psychic money makers out there, from the palm reader shop on the street corner to the guys who say they'll bring you luck for the rest of your life (for a price). So it is not too hard to see how some might not know of be educated enough on the reality of some paranormal phenomena.

The thing is, if we all could tap in to some kind of inherent ability such as ESP or remote viewing etc, it would severely hurt the foundations of the world right now, no secrets, no money, etc. You have to remember that, as with all things, this can be used ina good and bad way.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Well come to my house and name a high number of cards out of my deck, or tell us now of a future event with some detail like the day it will happen and a general discription of the event, or read my mind without asking me questions first, or just one of many other examples and I'll believe 100%

[edit on 11-7-2009 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Sentry-

I'm not saying that it's an innate possibility though. I would think that it only happens during traumatic experiences, or, when your mind is under periods of great duress. I think it is possible that it is innate with our minds. I'm sure that it could be done artificially. There is no doubt in my mind about that. I just think that while it may sound completely improbable- I don't doubt that it can be done. I am open to the possibility of ESP. It all is quite possible. Other animals communicate to each other basically through antennas. Perhaps there is a similar lost mechanism among us humans?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Well, from what I have researched it does seem that the 'ability' or such a thing often does become more awakened through some type of traumatic experience or childhood events, but this is certainly not the only way you will see paranormal ESP type stuff arise within certain people. There are some who live in such a place and in such a culture that they are trained these various kinds of "abilities" through whatever process they have in their culture.

I certainly do believe if there is something within us, it is within all of us, and simply not awakened to the possibilities, there is not a chance that it is a mere coincidence that one person might be capable of something similar to another across the world, and have it just be due to the way they were born.

But I agree with you that there definitely does seem to be something, not all cases can be brushed away or explained by our understandings.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I think the reason that ESP is not accepted is because no one has proposed the "Theory of ESP".

Would you believe in the possibility of the "Theory of the Big Bang" if it was not backed up with science like the Doppler Red Shift or 1-3 Classes of stars or the expansion of the Universe or Microwave background Radiation?

Probably not. You would say "What is your theory BACKED on".

I believe that the U.S. Government has had many documents released showing how much time and money they spent researching ESP. That is a pretty good piece of evidence to start us off.

If we want to continue down the path of Science we will test ESP with controlled testing under controlled environments.

No Scientist or anyone for that matter has come forward with a theory of how it would even WORK!

Just saying you think of someones thoughts and you can read them is not even close.

You have to say something like "Certain individuals have enlarged Left sides of the brain which create a large amount of melatonin enabling them to have a very high magnetic field and the field is manipulated by the cranial fluctuation that allows a very high amount of radio wave to be produced like a receiver allowing thoughts to be captured like radio waves."

As an example not meaning that to mean anything other than an example of what an explanation would be.

It has to be explained to people if it exists so it is not laying in the realm of astrology or palm reading. Apply some science to it. Present some data. Present an explanation for how it works.

Just like that thread the other night people talking about "Man boils water with Chi Energy".

Not ONE SINGLE supporter even made the SLIGHTEST attempt to explain how it could even be reasonably possible. Just saying things like " I believe it because I am a Chi master myself" or something like "I have power crawl across my body".

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Why do so many people act like the idea of ESP isn't possible?

A friend of mine once said that if psychics and ESP could provide as much proof of existence as have UFOs and ghosts... most colleges and institutions of higher learning would have already taken it up as a required course. But with that being said... he smiled and told me that he already knew what I was going to say in response.

That was in 1977... and was just too damned easy.

Best

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers

Would you believe in the possibility of the "Theory of the Big Bang" if it was not backed up with science like the Doppler Red Shift or 1-3 Classes of stars or the expansion of the Universe or Microwave background Radiation?

So you are saying if it was backed by something other than smoke and mirrors more would believe...

I believe that the U.S. Government has had many documents released showing how much time and money they spent researching ESP. That is a pretty good piece of evidence to start us off.

Screw documents/secret gov projects etc, how about just showing/demonstrating it to some degree of accuracy.

If we want to continue down the path of Science we will test ESP with controlled testing under controlled environments.

That is the problem....there is a lot of testing "outside the gov" and it just fails to show anything. All this ESP around us just doesn't work in the controlled experiment environment.

Just saying you think of someones thoughts and you can read them is not even close.

It is extremely hard to determine the difference of our minds in actually knowing something through ESP or just associating events/ideas etc to look like ESP to us. We do this with Nostradamus in he writes about vague events and we pick and choose past events and match them up to his prophesies. We have yet to actually narrow any future event to a prophecy before that event happens.

You have to say something like "Certain individuals have enlarged Left sides of the brain which create a large amount of melatonin enabling them to have a very high magnetic field and the field is manipulated by the cranial fluctuation that allows a very high amount of radio wave to be produced like a receiver allowing thoughts to be captured like radio waves."

This is the cart before the horse...first we just need to find people who can demonstrate some form of ESP that can be measured and then study them to see why they have it, but with 6 billion people plus we failed to find anyone who can do this in a measured way.

Just like that thread the other night people talking about "Man boils water with Chi Energy".

Let’s just say for example I can boil water with my chi energy. I would walk into any number of universities head over to their physics department and gather their best minds and say watch this. I would then allow then to setup experiments to test my ability anyway they felt was the best methods, and let science take its course. Why has not a single person done this to prove it all? The best we get is YouTube and that my friend is not good enough for there is a reason why that is the best we can get…think about it.

“there is a sucker born every minute”

Not ONE SINGLE supporter even made the SLIGHTEST attempt to explain how it could even be reasonably possible. Just saying things like " I believe it because I am a Chi master myself" or something like "I have power crawl across my body".

Very very true...it is all just reasons as to why they can't do it outside their own little setting. Also to say I had a feeling that something bad would happen and I read that a bus crashed so I have ESP is just another total falsity in it means nothing and just because a person thinks they have something special doesn’t mean a thing unless they can prove it in some way.

new topics

top topics

join