It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious tremors detected on San Andreas Fault

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Mysterious tremors detected on San Andreas Fault

www.usatoday.com

Scientists have detected a spike in underground rumblings on a section of California's San Andreas Fault that produced a magnitude-7.8 earthquake in 1857.

What these mysterious vibrations say about future earthquakes is far from certain. But some think the deep tremors suggest underground stress may be building up faster than expected and may indicate an increased risk of a major temblor.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.livescience.com
quake.wr.usgs.gov

[edit on 9-7-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Hopefully this is just a false alarm, but with the recent earthquake in China killing over 300 people it is a little worriesome. Below is a graph of recent activity in the Parkfield area, where the tremors are occuring.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b0e068701190.jpg[/atsimg]

Maybe some of the locals can shed some light on the topic. This also may be a good time to start looking for some of the indicators of an impending earthquake.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/119a555864e1.jpg[/atsimg]

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

"That" quake has been building with a while . Perhaps as "the" quake is unfortunately inevitable, it would be best to happen sooner rather than later.

A strange thing to hope for , but the difference could be in the hundreds if not thousands of lives.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I am not too shocked by this, given the other odd occurrences the past couple of weeks.

I'll keep an eye open on the monitors and see what happens, but will definitely hope that things pan out fine. Probably will, but, always good to be prepared, and NOT PANIC lol

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Just so you know, we are talking about this in the fragile earth forum
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 9-7-2009 by Kingfanpaul]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Im a local

Nothing to worry about,

Parkfield shakes all the time.
earthquake capitol of the world

I felt the 04 quake(6.0) from parkfield, its was the oddest sensation.
I am about 70 miles from parkfield, and I was sitting at my desk doig some machine programing, using 2 computers so I had my hand restin on the desk bout 2 feet apart and my feet were apart on the floor.
I heard a truck go by then I felt a wave going from right to left through my right hand and foot to my left hand and foot.
I could even see the desk slightly move.
I could tell that it was not a train or truck going by and the direction it came from was the coalinga/parkfield area.
i ran out into the shop to see if my guys felt it, but they were such an oblivious lot it went right past them and they didnt even know.
About 5 minutes later they broke through on the radio the say there was an earthquake in parkfield.
I remeber the 1983 coalinga quake(6.5) very well, it happend the day i left for "basic training" for the california conservation corp. (CCC). It was strong enough to shake cars around 70 miles away. It did quite a bit of damage in coalinga but not much anywhere else. When I got out of training I went right into a crew working in coalinga. There was also a huge fire there a couple of months later(50,000 acres), got to work that too.
I also remember the 1989 loma prieta (6.9)quake we could feel it here as well.
Then north ridge quake(6.7), that was a doozy, there was a something like a 36" vertical movment in some places. It also produced the highest ground acceleration ever recorded 1g just think about that a movment so large and quick it amounted to 1g.
The day that happened I had a 6:30am calculas class and had gotten to the math/science building about 6:00 to finish my homework. As I milled around i noticed the huge earthquake recorded on the siemograph that was in a case in the hall.
And there were a number of after shocks I got watch one happen it was kinda cool.
I didnt know about the quake in northridge yet but that was all every one was talking about when they got to class.

And the landers quake (7.3)pushed up the san bernadino mtn up about 14 inches i believe.

Any way the ground shakes around here, I might be concerned if i lived in the bay area or la.
Our building codes are good, and in most parts of the state the older homes are usually wood framed and they will stane up to a good shakin btter than brick/block or stone.
Now many of the older larg buildings are kinda scary being all brick and stuff.
There have been a lot of big earth quakes and there will always be an earthquake about to happen.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

Wow, thats creepy. Please keep us updated if you feel any more tremors, or if anything seems out of the ordinary!

-E-

new topics

top topics

join