It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politicians Are Now Offering Snitches Money To Turn In Gun Owners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The mayor of Newark, New Jersey, is offering $1,000 to anybody who anonymously provides information on “illegal guns” in the city. In a video on posted on the City of Newark web page, the “Honorable” Cory A. Booker declares guns on the streets are unacceptable and he is offering the cash incentive to snitches.
However, there is a very obvious problem with the mayor’s program — how will the snitches tell the difference between an illegal and legal gun? How will the police tell the difference between a gang-banger with an illegal gun and a citizen exercising his or her right under the Second Amendment?
Greedy snitches will call in “tips” on everybody who owns a firearm. In fact, Booker’s video would have us believe all firearms are illegal. Booker makes the distinction near the end of the video, not that it matters — the distinction will be lost on snitches interested only in pocketing a thousand bucks (the mayor waves a fantail of cash in the video to make his point and entice the snitches).www.infowars.com... s-to-turn-in-gun-owners/
This is the begining of the end of the 2nd amendment, once this takes off there it will spread everywhere and you know it will because everyone will be turning in everyone with a gun and that's what this is really about, finding out who owns guns legal or ilegal it doesn't matter they just want our guns.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Even if your firearm is legal an anonymous phone call will still get you a day or two of harassment and inconvenience. Once the circus of "investigation" starts you'd be lucky to just have it all go away with an apology. They'll do anything they can to make it "worth their time."

These programs are horrible. Take into consideration the largely stupid and ignorant population these programs are downright dangerous.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Snitches may not always know who's gun was legally bought and who's wasn't, but there are records of every gun that is legally bought so it's not going to be that difficult to figure out who bought theirs illegally. I'm all for getting the illegally obtained guns out of the hands of gang-bangers and thieves. They are the ones who make it easy for the anti-gun group to try and claim guns are bad. Once they actually do start trying to confiscate legally obtained guns, then I'll have an issue with it. Barring that happening, I don't see a problem with offering a reward for information on those obtained illegally.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
there are records of every gun that is legally bought

No, they're arent. Say I moved into town from a state that doesnt keep records. Family members have given them to me or passed away and left them to me. Private FTF transfer.

There are plenty of ways to legally own a firearm and the state not know about it.

Anything bought before a certain date (forget which date, 60's I think) would have no record beyond a sales receipt.

Great way to get heirlooms taken and destroyed.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
There are plenty of ways to legally own a firearm and the state not know about it.

If you're out carrying it on the streets where snitches can see it, then you likely have a carry permit thus leaving a paper trail. From my experience, family heirlooms, especially guns, aren't usually carried around outside. They are in the house, usually locked up, and only taken outside every once in awhile if at all. If it's an heirloom, it's important to the current owner and they aren't going to just wave it around town and chance someone stealing it from their home later on.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Does the person making the call have to see it out in public? What if they see you cleaning a rifle through your window while they are walking by? New Haven, CT has a similar program in place and they come for any call, any gun, anywhere and it has resulted in plenty of wasted time, money and harassment. So far I dont think they've gotten any 'illegal' guns in this manner.

If it's only for firearms seen in public (in NH there is no permit needed to carry openly for instance) what's to stop people from just making all sorts of crazy calls just to watch cops swarm on some old lady with a walker and put it up on YouTube?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
A very nice new way of getting 'probable cause'. Then you can screw your rights as a citizen and join the club of suspects.
Authorities have no shortage of excuses and perverse laws that they can use against people. This is just one more tool in their bag.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Does the person making the call have to see it out in public? What if they see you cleaning a rifle through your window while they are walking by?

Did you watch the video on the City of Newark's website?

Source
There are a small group of people in our City that think they can walk around with guns.

One thousand dollars to anyone who calls our anonymous tipline, give us the information about who is carrying a gun...

... simply get that gun off the streets..

A quick one thousand dollars if you know someone carrying an illegal gun..

He says it over and over again. They aren't talking about someone sitting there cleaning their legally owned gun in their house. They are talking about someone walking around town carrying an illegal gun.

Will it be abused? Probably. But those who don't provide real information about people who actually do have illegal guns aren't going to be getting any money for their trouble and the novelty will soon wear off.

top topics

join