It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists create human sperm cells from stem cells

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Scientists create human sperm from stem cells Technique could help infertile men, but other experts doubt research data.

LONDON - British scientists claimed Wednesday to have created human sperm from embryonic stem cells for the first time, an accomplishment they say may someday help infertile men father children.

The technique could in 10 years allow researchers to use the basic knowledge of how sperm develop to design treatments to enable infertile men the chance to have biological children, said lead researcher Karim Nayernia, of Newcastle University, whose team earlier produced baby mice from sperm derived in a similar way.

The research, published in the journal Stem Cells and Development, was conducted by scientists at Newcastle and the NorthEast England Stem Cell Institute.
Stem cells can become any cell in the body, and scientists have previously turned them into a variety of new entities, including cells from the brain, pancreas, heart and blood vessels.

Some experts challenged the research, saying they weren’t convinced Nayernia and his colleagues had actually produced sperm cells. Several critics also said the sperm cells they created were clearly abnormal.

“I am unconvinced from the data presented in this paper that the cells produced by Professor Nayernia’s group from embryonic stem cells can be accurately called ’spermatazoa,” said Allan Pacey, a senior lecturer in andrology at the University of Sheffield.

Pacey said in a statement that the sperm created by Nayernia did not have the specific shape, movement and function of real sperm.

Scientists create human sperm cells from stem cells

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Crazy to what science has brought us today! It seems that everyday we get closer and closer to the fictional utopia of Brave New World by Aldous Huxley!

Great find

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bones_
It seems that everyday we get closer and closer to the fictional utopia of Brave New World by Aldous Huxley!

I don't know if that's something I would be all to excited about. The society which was depicted in that novel gave me the chills. Although I extremely enjoyed the piece of literature, it is not something I would want my world to turn into.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
So if...just saying...they implant this sperm into a dish-egg...and a child is born down the line...is he/she a son/daughter of the state? Imagine an Army like this...just saying...

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Anyone else notice we have discovered more in every realm of science in the last 10 years than we have in the last 10000? We are producing new super advanced technologies (or on the brink of some) at an alarming rate! I really hope we don't blow ourselves up before we realize our full potential. Great stuff here, even if they are sperm that cant swim lol.

top topics

join