It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey guys need help with big decision...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Ok basically not real sure where to put this thread but anyway here goes...

All my life, i have been tryin to get rich pretty much to be able to live luxury and buy cars and toys like that as you do haha... Anyway im a flooring contractor and the money is good and if i stick at it ill be able to make a pretty decent living, But i do it for the money and at times its enjoyable but realistically its still work.

Now here's the decision, i sorta had a lil bit of an epiphony, see i basically am a animal lover, i sorta think we need to place protecting species and habitats alot higher than it is. I really like cats, big cats and wildlife like that, so i was really thinking about selling my car (prized possesion lol) and packing up and just dissapearing to africa or somewhere i can help make a tiny little difference, where i realise the pay would be crap but i feel like i could free myself of this material existence i live in and at least feel i have done something i myself can be proud of when i die.

Basically does anyone know who i'd need to contact, and what sorta qualifications i may or maynot need? i mean could i just contact them and rock over there to help im sure they need all the help they could get right? By the way im 25 this year and i feel im getting to the point where i really need to do something with my life instead of just slaving for money everyday. This would be good for my soul my heart and my mind so any help or guidence from the more experienced members of this site would be much appreciated

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
There's still the Peace Corps. I know a couple of people who have done this (years ago) and found it very fulfilling. I think it's a wonderful thing to give back. See the world, meet people, help.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I should mention im in new zealand i dont think i could join, but i dont want to do it military style, I want to work with lions or tigers, or even sea creatures i fell theres so much i could do if givin the chance, i just have to get rid of this get rich mentality, i dont believe it to be the way to a fufilling happy life. But then again maybe it is? I just know so many wealthy people who aren't super happy they just arent hung up about money but rather different problems instead

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Oh! Sorry for assuming you were from the U.S! Is there an international-type peace corps?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Skinon

If I were you, i'd take a few months off and check out if that is what you really want.

If you've lived that life for some months and still think it's for you, go for it.

But I wouldn't give everything up just yet, people often have dreams and ideals that suddenly become not so much fun as soon as they start living them.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by Point of No Return]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skinon
i was really thinking about ... dissapearing to africa or somewhere i can help make a tiny little difference, where i realise the pay would be crap but i feel like i could free myself of this material existence i live in and at least feel i have done something i myself can be proud of when i die...This would be good for my soul my heart and my mind so any help or guidence from the more experienced members of this site would be much appreciated

My advice is not to burn your bridges just yet, but to save up some dough to take a month-long vacation so you can size things up. Your government could likely tell you of NGO programmes that are legit, worthwhile and safe.

There's a lot of romance in just selling everything and hopping on a tramp steamer for Africa, but it can be a big bad world out there, as well. You can also look around closer to home if you're looking for satisfying volunteer work, but if you have the travel bug...go for it. Just be cautious, Grasshopper.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Hmmm yea thanks for the advice! im not thinking volunteer work either more of just getting paod doin something i could really enjoy... I have travelled heaps thru 3rd world and 1st world countries, I guess i just need to find out what this is goin to invove and who i need to contact

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
wow... you sound like me lately, I just upped my butt and moved to the Mountains too and am taking up things like Nature Photography and stuff.

I wont be going to Africa lol I like my accommodations in life too, but I have Wolves and Coyotes and Lynxes and Hundreds of Birds and Porcupines and Mountain Lions and Occasional Bears and Elk and Deer all around me (The list could be longer)

As a guy who likes to work for himself... Start small

Everything has to start small in business and... I know it's not about money but you don't really need any qualifications to start small at anything.

I have thought of doing an Animal Rescue of some sort...

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
wow that sounds awesome! yea i live in around mountains at the moment but no wildlife like that! Yea i think the animal rescue thing would be awesome, you get to help those in the most need and that would be fun satisfying and yea you wouldnt need qualifications... Hmm i think i just gotta get outta this rut im in, i'd like to do something instead of just talk about it...

new topics

top topics

join