It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Relatives of Soldier Killed in Afghanistan Decry Lack of Coverage Amid Jackson Spectacle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

A day before New York Rep. Peter King called Michael Jackson a “pervert” unworthy of nonstop media coverage, the aunt of a U.S. soldier killed in Afghanistan on the same day Jackson died asked why her nephew's death went virtually unnoticed while the King of Pop got memorial shrines across the country.

"Mr. Jackson received days of wall-to-wall coverage in the media," Martha Gillis wrote to the Washington Post. "Where was the coverage of my nephew or the other soldiers who died that week?"

Link

I understand the familys anger about this, Our heros are dying out there for this very country and they go unnoticed by the media and even the american people. Alot of people on ATS have said that MJ has done alot for childern, well so has the soldiers that have lost their life.

Alien Mind

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
When I first read this, I started flashing back to the days of jessica lynch and what not.

It's amazing what you forget.

He did have a little over 600 people attend his funeral which is a rather large funeral at that!

I think their making a big deal out of it because it's their family member that died, and of course, it works like every parent thinks their child is the greatest singer on earth or whatever.

He died it's sad, but the Jackson thing is getting old really fast, it's overdone and worn out now. Let some real heros get their fifteen minutes.

Thats probably the only reason I liked Nancy Grace she would always do this thing for them at the end of the show.
Other then that she is crazy!

[edit on 7-7-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
How inconvenient the King of Pop died and took away from WHAT????

tHE media would not have mentioned the soldier by name, nor any of it anyway.

People just make me sick.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
If I die in Afghanistan I have it in my will not to release my name to the media or allow them to photograph me.

I don't want some anti war bleeding heart liberal to use me as one of their talking points.

Maybe someone should tell her that soldiers don't want recognition, doesn't matter if they are alive or dead.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
If I die in Afghanistan I have it in my will not to release my name to the media or allow them to photograph me.

I don't want some anti war bleeding heart liberal to use me as one of their talking points.

Maybe someone should tell her that soldiers don't want recognition, doesn't matter if they are alive or dead.

First off, You don't speak for ALL soldiers...just yourself.
And you (just like me) don't know her son so don't act like you do, He might have wanted recognition...Maybe he wanted to remind everyone that our soldiers are dying over there.

P.S. My grandfather is a WW2 vet who has told us that he is angered about how no one cares about the fallen soldiers...so your opinion is yours and NOT everyone elses

[edit on 7-7-2009 by Alien Mind]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Alien Mind

Out of the thousands of soldiers I have encountered on a daily basis, none of them want the recognition that the mother is demanding.

As far as your granddaddy, that is his opinion and not everyone elses.

You can get upset all you want. I could really give a crap if you don't like what I have to say.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Out of the thousands of soldiers I have encountered on a daily basis, none of them want the recognition that the mother is demanding.

As far as your granddaddy, that is his opinion and not everyone elses.

You can get upset all you want. I could really give a crap if you don't like what I have to say.

I'm REALLY sure you met "thousands" of soldiers.

As far as MJ is concerned...he is nothing more then a 80s/90s fling. He is a drug addict, Child moslester, a transexual......did i leave anything out

Alien Mind

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
No matter where you stand on ANY issue, here's a good idea.

It's a good one.

QUICK TIP-

Support your troops.

Plain and simple. Especially if you are in the United States. For the simple fact that any volunteer army is superior in any and all aspects.

Even the "Art of War" States this.

-----

I am anti-war and support my troops. Hell, I know troops serving that are the same way. These guys signed up for many reasons, but one result of their action favors my life. I DO NOT have to serve. As long as there is a voluntary army there is no need for a draft.

Believe me.....

I don't need a Draft in my life. No thank You.

------

RIP to those who perished on the 4th.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   

9 years active duty, 3 duty stations, deployed once and have been in the reserve for the last 2 years, 2 differant companies.

Its safe to say I have known thousands of soldiers.

I could give a crap about micheal jackson. I was never a big fan of his.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I was listening to NPR today, and 2 out of 3 callers complained that more pertinent stuff was going on (Obama signing nuclear weapons reduction pact in Russia) and the media was making too big of a deal.

Here's a really good video that sums it up perfectly:

www.youtube.com... - Congressman Peter King [NY]: Stop Coverage of Child Molester, Pervert, Pedophile Michael Jackson

[edit on 8-7-2009 by northexpedition]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Wait, are you trying to suggest the world hasn't been on pause since MJ died last week? Are you pullin my leg?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Like most people in the media connected world I didn't know the soldier, but I grew up with MJ and I watched him on Saturday morning cartoons.

They are both human beings and they are both gone, but whether you like MJ or not he changed the world and touched millions of people.

No disrespect meant but a soldier is just a pawn or a cog in the wheel.

As a human being I'm sorry for the soldiers sacrifice, but the fact is it's not really for me it's for those who make a profit from wars - I'm not in that league.

All humans have flaws and most of us are addicted to at leas sugar & caffeine. I'm really tired of the mindless idea that drug addicts are bad people. The truth is the only ones that are bad are the ones who steal to obtain them.

Glad we have a Constitution - that means were all innocent unless proven otherwise.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   

So MJ was a transexual was he? Was he pre or post op? I must have missed that piece of info whilst wondering how many innocent Afghans and Iraqis have died in an illegal and immoral war.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Alien Mind, great post and very sad that some of the posters do not want to understand what the relatives of this soldier was driving at.

I would rather that the media had focussed on our soldiers and those who daily put their lifes on the line to keep us free.

But sadly, the media and it seems too many people would rather focus on the death of a musician rather that our soldiers.

But I guess our military over the years who have served and died so that we all have that right.

top topics

join