It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New GOP "Racist" Headache

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

After "Barack the Magic Negro" and other GOP racial gaffes, a top Young Republican official—who hopes to be elected chairman Saturday—laughs at a racial slur about President Obama. The Daily Beast's John Avlon on a choice facing GOP brass: Lose the radical fringe, or never email, use social media or send out holiday CDs again.

Note to Republicans: Racist “humor,” the Internet, and political ambitions don’t mix. Audra Shay, vice chairman of the Young Republicans and the leading candidate to be elected its chairman on Saturday, is now the latest in a growing list of GOP officials learning this lesson the hard way, based on pictures of a now-deleted Facebook page obtained by The Daily Beast.

Related link

Audra Shay Responds to Race Allegations

STATEMENT FROM AUDRA SHAY

Dear Friends and Supporters,

Yesterday on Facebook, an unfortunate incident occurred. An individual posted two comments on my Facebook wall, the first comment arguing against big government and the second filled with racially charged comments. I responded supporting the individual’s first post, to continue the fight against big government spending. I was not aware of the racial comments until sometime later, when a third individual brought it to my attention. I immediately deleted the derogatory and outright disgusting comments and subsequently posted a statement on my Facebook Status stating that in no way, shape or form are the comments posted by other individuals a reflection of me or my beliefs as an American, a Veteran, a Mother or a Candidate. I do not, nor would I ever, condone that type of language or behavior.

Unfortunately, my opponents have now spun a web of misconception and untruths, desperately trying to paint me as a racist. Nothing could be farther from the truth. In fact, I have made it part of my Young Republican life to ensure that we did not just focus on outreach, but inclusion. Under my leadership as Chairman of the State of Louisiana’s Young Republicans, we were able to raise $90,000 for a minority outreach media campaign. Also under my leadership as Louisiana Chairman we brought the largest minority delegation to the YRNF Convention in 2007.

It is a disgrace that these types of political attacks are taking place and once again, it proves that my opponents will stoop to the lowest levels to steal this election from the jaws of victory. Our Team is one of honor and integrity. We take this service to heart and will not allow others to tarnish our reputations. If you have any questions or concerns about this matter or any other matters, please email, call or Facebook message me. I’m always available.

Many believe she was aware of the comment because of the 8 minute time lapse after the derogotory comment was made by the other individual.

I suggest reading the comments from all the links, the daily beast, the huffpost, and the conservatist.

Some people just don't get it in my opinion.

edit: fix title

[edit on Tue, 7 Jul 09 by Jazzyguy]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The "magic negro" drama was started by a liberal columnist at the LA times.
Rush used it to his advantage after that.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Is racial and cultural prejudice significant within the U.S. Republican Party? Unfortunately so. Americans who perceive a threat toward traditional, Christian Caucasian life do tend to form their political alliances with the Republican Party. This was initially tolerable, but began to have a particularly detrimental effect on the group with the rise of social progressivism in the nation. Republicans are trying to remove this element from their midst, for reasons of both personal ethics and the professional success of the party.

Understanding that cultural phobias are a real problem within the Republican Party should not compel anyone to assume that it is a dominant quality. This is, however, ostensibly the argument of those promoting this story. While the writers suggest that her behaviour is indicative of the general Republican ethos, they curiously note in the same breath the public and unequivocal repudiation she received from fellow Facebook Republicans.

Her behaviour following the controversial Facebook comment does appear to confirm her own degree of prejudice. But apart from partisanship, there is no reason to then imply that the entire party is suffering from this affliction.

There is ample material for solid, persuasive criticism of both the Republican and Democratic Parties. Forming shallow criticisms of arguably insignificant events has the unintended effect of being detrimental to the accuser and his/her political party rather than damaging the actual target of the attack, at least within the minds of reasonable people. Anyone who desires to impact their opposing party should take care to stick to solid arguments. Americans have no hope of getting out of this political mess unless that happens, though ideally one would dissect both of the major political parties.

for the current spread of this story.

[edit on 7/7/09 by paperplanes]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Sorry, no sympathy from me for liberals and Democrats. Those who lean left proved that they are no better when it comes to social prejudice when they:

* attacked Sarah Palin because she was a mother and running in politics
* attacked Carrie Prejean because she had the audacity to actually answer a question that SHE WAS ASKED and the answer was not what the left wanted to hear - the vicious attacks from the left on Prejean only prove that they do not believe in "free thinking" and freedom of choice; they believe that you MUST believe the way they do or you are a leper and a target and a disease that needs to be dealt with

It proves that the educated are not always the smartest or the most enlightened.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy

After "Barack the Magic Negro" and other GOP racial gaffes,

I stopped reading there.

Like JulieMills said......It was the liberal LA Times that called Barack "The Magic Negro".

Why is it that when Conservatives point out racism by the left they are called racists because of it?

[edit on 8-7-2009 by RRconservative]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Yes, if you are going to point fingers, please try to get your facts straight.

This reminds me of all the democrats that still think Sarah Palin actually said, "I can see Russia from my house", when in fact that line came from a Saturday Night Live parody of Palin by Tina Fey.

It shows that some will believe anything they see or hear as long as it fits their own preconceived bias.

Oh, and your avatar says you're from indonesia. Anything noteworthy going on there?

[edit on 7/8/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Did they forget that a liberal news paper started "the magic Negro"?

Besides that, is it wrong to support Hitler's military tactics? In what way does this make you an antisemitic and supporter of genocide?

Spin

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Let me just me just say here, for both sides, why do we have to bring race or sexism into every argument. It seems theres a never ending argument as to who starts it and yet we find folks still hurling on some remark to spur on an argument of theirs. Are we not beyond this?

I dont agree Palin, its got nothing to do with her sex.
You dont think Obama is fit to be president, his race or his middle name shouldnt be the reason behind it.

By the least we shouldnt applaud racism or sexism under any reason, regardless of the otherside if we are going to go into a heated debate regarding politics on a daily basis. Is anybody capable of this?

[edit on 9-7-2009 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Of course, of course, sure, sure, excuses, excuses.

Obama daughter wears t-shirt, Freepers call her ghetto trash

via current.com

The fringers are way out of line when it comes to degrees. I know both sides do it but the fringers are just very blatant and seem very proud of their behaviors. For crying out loud the girl is just 11.

SG is right, and unlike some people right here on ATS, I never make any excuses for either side. I just don't handle that kind of hypocrisy (the conservative and the religious kind) that well, hence I created the thread in the first place.

Calling yourself patriots, and religious, that's bull. At least the liberals are more obvious with their crap.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Sorry, no sympathy from me for liberals and Democrats. Those who lean left proved that they are no better when it comes to social prejudice when they:

* attacked Carrie Prejean because she had the audacity to actually answer a question that SHE WAS ASKED and the answer was not what the left wanted to hear - the vicious attacks from the left on Prejean only prove that they do not believe in "free thinking" and freedom of choice; they believe that you MUST believe the way they do or you are a leper and a target and a disease that needs to be dealt with

It proves that the educated are not always the smartest or the most enlightened.

1) If they had gone easy on Palin you would have said they were sexist for not treating her the same. I recall plenty of Right Wing discussion of Obama's children as well. But I guess people like you see it from YOUR angle and yet try and tell everyone else to be open minded enough to listen to YOUR angle.

2) "they believe that you MUST believe the way they do or you are a leper and a target and a disease that needs to be dealt with" That could not describe the Right Wing, Conservatives and especially the Republicans any better.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Get ready for more bogus racist allegations this week. Sotomayor confirmation hearings are starting tomorrow.

Republicans that point out racism by Sotomayor will be charged with racism themselves.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Not all Republicans are racists, by any means.

But it does seem like all racists are Republicans. At least today.

Democrats are not completely blameless in this regard of course. There were "Dixiecrats" about 50 years ago who were just as bad as anyone is today. But the party has made serious efforts to move on from that period. I'm not sure the Republicans have tried as hard to do that.

BTW I don't particularly agree with Sotomayor's ruling in the fire department case. But she was following precedent, not being a judicial activist. I think as a judge she has been very mainstream in most of her decisions. If she were not a Latina would right wingers be calling her a racist? I don't think so.

It's a tactic of racists to call people who are combating racial discrimination racists.

We're going to have to get a new term. It has been overused to the point of being meaningless.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Well democrats usually support reparations and affirmative action, both being racist institutions which assumes that if you are a minority, you can't physical make it on your own.

So rather than just observe and arrest racist bosses, they force bosses to higher X amount of X races, thus encouraging more racism and bringing America back 30 years.

I sometimes get the feeling that those who support it do so to promote racism, so that they still have jobs to fight racism.

Racism is pretty 50/50 to dems and repubs.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Sorry, no sympathy from me for liberals and Democrats.

What sympathy? negative remarks and insults while running for public office are the reality, its in no way acceptable but at the same time you have to grow bone if you intend to run for public office and maintain that term. Hillary, Obama and even McCain himself recieved the harshest of comments, in particular from Palinites, and yet here they are, still in office, never resigned. Mrs Palin here and her minions who paraded around as a "strong leader" couldnt deal with it and resigned, and from the sounds of her supporters we should feel "guilty" for all the insults. Its do as I say, not as I do.

Obama got attacked merely over his middle name, just because his father was muslim he was made as some terrorist arab. McCain had plenty of negative remarks regarding his age and even his daughter was remarked as "fat" numerous times, ironically from the social right most of the time. Hillary Clinton was told at times to shut up and stay in kitchen" during her calls for public healthcare during the 90s, ironically by mostly the same Palinites who cry about sexism now. Its interesting to note though that those three are still in office, and Palin resigned.

Get over it. If you cant take the heat get out of kitchen. I suggest for yours and Palins sake you find somebody else to parade around because it aint looking good and this woman is going to make more of a fool of herself if she continues. Its her right by all means but Im giving a heads up.

[edit on 12-7-2009 by Southern Guardian]

top topics

join