It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by star in a jar
For those of you who are thinking of moving to relatively peaceful, tropical, welcoming countries like Costa Rica...
Don't bring your problems, biases, money, way of life, racism, material wants, keeping up with the Joneses, richer than thou, etc... Ideology with you because these issues generally don't plague other top-rated countries unlike (insert name of the stinking piece of # country you're running away from.)
Become the people who are taking a risk to welcome you.
Eat their food, live with them, raise your kids with their kids, speak the language, wear their clothes...
Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Wowza, this is very cool. Costa Rica holds a dear place in my heart, even after all these years:
1) I lost my virginity on the Costa Rica Country Club golf course when I was 14!
2) I spent about a year and a half there and went to Country Day High School
3) I heard Boston's first album and Fleetwood Mac's Rumors album there for the first time.
4) I first got into music because of the first band I ever saw at that same country club.
5) I was also robbed once there, by three guys, some screwdrivers and a knife. So crime exists there too.
6) I went through an earthquake there- not fun.
7) The rainy season there really is VERY rainy. Every day.
8) I almost drowned in the Pacific Ocean there once when we went to the west coast. Mega sized waves pounded me under to the ocean floor, and every time I came up for air, I would get slammed by another one. Swimming sideways parallel to the shore slowly as I could saved my life.
Costa Ricans are genuinely nice people. And many Costa Rican women are really beautiful, but not all- just like anywhere else.
Soccer of course is big big news there, just like most other Latin American countries.
Originally posted by Donnie Darko
Originally posted by MysticSky
Costa Rica does have a middle class, which is rather unique amongst Latin American countries. But there is plenty of poverty...especially outside of the cities - and beggars aplenty.
I wonder if even the beggars are happy.
They even have a law that if you rape a woman as long as you offer to marry her afterwards you can't be prosecuted and sent to jail. They don't have to say 'yes' you just have to offer.