It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
A series of minor earthquakes recorded as recently as last week in Texas have raised the specter of tremors in northwest Louisiana, where a natural gas discovery has launched a gold-rush style drilling boom.
A similar rush hit north Texas several years ago, after geologists found vast stores of natural gas in the Barnett Shale, a layer of underground rock spanning 5,000 square miles. Thousands of wells have been drilled, and some scientists have blamed the recent earthquakes on the intense process used to extract gas from the shale, called fracturing.
Developers are using the same process in Louisiana on the Haynesville Shale, which spreads beneath a six-parish region near Shreveport. Prospectors began flocking to the area early last year, after an energy firm announced that the Haynesville Shale could be the largest natural gas reserve in the country.
San Leon Energy hits natural gas discovery in Texas
San Leon Energy reports a significant discovery of natural gas in the Palo Pinto County, Regular (Gas) Field, District 07B, Texas, which will produce at commercial rates.
San Leon holds a 25% interest in the first well, Nichols # 1, which is operated by McCown Engineering and will have an 80% interest in the remaining three wells to be drilled in this field. Mr. Larry McCown will hold the remaining 20%.
The Nichols # 1 well has been drilled to a depth (TD) of 3,386 feet with additional pay zones at 3104 feet and 3126 feet. The well was flowed and volumetric calculations indicate it will produce 1.2bcf at up to 1.3 mmcf per day.