It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homosexuals should "repent and be changed" - Anglican Bishop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Gay row may cause church split

A traditionalist Anglican group has warned the issue of homosexuality could split the Church of England the way the Episcopal Church has done in the US.

The Fellowship of Confessing Anglicans will be launched in the UK on Monday.

The group has campaigned against active homosexuality in the Anglican Communion after being established last year.

One supporter, the Bishop of Rochester, the Right Reverend Michael Nazir-Ali, told the Sunday Telegraph homosexuals should "repent and be changed".

He goes on to say;

"People who depart from this don't share the same faith. They are acting in a way that is not normative according to what God has revealed in the Bible.

"The Bible's teaching shows that marriage is between a man and a woman. That is the way to express our sexual nature.

"We welcome homosexuals, we don't want to exclude people, but we want them to repent and be changed."

I don't know about this. It seems like this guy is over simplifying the issue.

If God creates everything, then he creates homosexuals, they are the way they are. Noone is to blame except God(if there is any blame although I expect most gays are happy the way they are and rightly so). If that is the case then he should allow them in his church. Or am I oversimplifying the issue of homosexuals in the church?

[edit on 5-7-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Well in my opinion....

I do not agree personally with homosexuality and I am not that way inclinded but I would never condemn anyone for choosing what they want in life. The bible does say judge not lest ye be judged.

I do not agree that god makes people who are gay or straight, I think this is a choice of personal preference that you make from a young age or in some cases older as we all have free will to be as we choose, it is not gods choice to make.
I think people including the person mentioned in the report need to take a good look in the mirror because they have no right whatsover, even if they are at the top of any church, to condemn another human being for being something they are not or taking a choice in life that they have not.

God is the only judge, like the bible says again.

I would suggest this man reads his bible again as his comments make me wonder how on earth he ever became a bishop. This is a form of blasphemy.

Churches welcome people who smoke, drink, take drugs and sin in general so regardless of whether it is a sin or not a sin is completely irrelevant. Gay people should be completely welcome in any religion.

It is no ministers, bishops, popes or any other head of any other churces job to say what defines a massive sin, a small sin or anything else. They are meant to guide you in the word of god and welcome any person to follow the word not their judgements or opinions.

[edit on 5-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Contemplate - Homosexuals are souls who have reincarnated here too fast

The contempt, jealousy, sublimation of the Divine Feminine, by the self appointed all male church has made this world what it is today! It is the church who must repent

Clergy Abuse

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
why doesnt the church pursue some real problem?
blaming gays for everything has to go out of style sometime.
i bet if they blamed politicians for things as opposed to random, anonymous individuals the church would be growing.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

Well in my opinion....

I do not agree personally with homosexuality and I am not that way inclinded but I would never condemn anyone for choosing what they want in life. The bible does say judge not lest ye be judged.

I do not agree that god makes people who are gay or straight, I think this is a choice of personal preference that you make from a young age or in some cases older as we all have free will to be as we choose, it is not gods choice to make.
I think people including the person mentioned in the report need to take a good look in the mirror because they have no right whatsover, even if they are at the top of any church, to condemn another human being for being something they are not or taking a choice in life that they have not.

I would suggest this man reads his bible again as his comments make me wonder how on earth he ever became a bishop. This is a form of blasphemy.

I take it you dont know any gay people, I have many gay friends and i can tell you, it's not a choice they have made. They were born gay.Many can't even tell their parents as they fear the damage it could cause. A friend has kept it quiet all his adult life, only recently admitting, even though everyone who met him though he was gay. He has felt the need to keep it quiet for so long for fear of ridicule and being sidelined by his religious family. It's terribly sad and with outdated opinions like yours only make it harder.
IMO

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Originally posted by XXXN3O

Well in my opinion....

I take it you dont know any gay people, I have many gay friends and i can tell you, it's not a choice they have made. They were born gay.Many can't even tell their parents as they fear the damage it could cause. A friend has kept it quiet all his adult life, only recently admitting, even though everyone who met him though he was gay. He has felt the need to keep it quiet for so long for fear of ridicule and being sidelined by his religious family. It's terribly sad and with outdated opinions like yours only make it harder.
IMO

Yeah I do know gay people, I have 3 in my own family.

I am just stating my opinion. Even if they are born gay I do not think it is for anyone to judge.

You have taken me wrong I think. I am saying that I do not understand homosexuals in a nutshell as I am not that way inclined but regardless its not for me or anyone to judge as the bible says. I do not know where christians get this from. There is also passages in the bible that say that drinking, smoking, sex before marriage, having a beard etc is a sin. We got ten commandments, not a list of what is a really big sin and what is a really small sin so why are people condemning being gay as an extreme sin.
If being homosexual is a sin, what defines it as a sin that should keep you from a church when other sins are welcomed such as the above.

God will be the judge not a preacher.

Thats my point.

Hope that clears it up and I did edit my post as you were replying as I thought it could be misunderstood.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
good point, i was just trying to point out that the gay people i know have not taken homosexuality as a choice.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   

good point, i was just trying to point out that the gay people i know have not taken homosexuality as a choice.

Well in my experience I have seen both, this being a choice after a bad relationship and this being from a very young age.

I dont think it really matters if it is a choice or if it is from birth.

It should not effect anyone else what another chooses unless it harms other people which it really does not.

Any religion that denies you the word of god for any reason is blaspheming and should not be followed as the bible states when it explains false teachings. Its a god given right.

I get awfully frustrated with topics like this when it is written in the bible that so many religions claim to follow

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
All of this fuss over a god that hasn't been proven to exist
Rather than bishops and so on criticizing others maybe they should just work on there own lives instead ? or help out in some other way maybe.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I take it you dont know any gay people, I have many gay friends and i can tell you, it's not a choice they have made. They were born gay.

I would like to see the scientific proof becuase scientists still HAVEN'T found a single gene they have been searching for which is the link to being born gay. (SPECULATION) isn't a fact, just an opinion and innacurate.

Seecondly IF it was true ...then they are genetically mutated freaks. Also wouldn't the scientist who discovered this be one of the worlds most famous?

Many can't even tell their parents as they fear the damage it could cause.

This is a burden they themselves should bare and suffer. Why should a parent who raised a child from birth , changing diapers.....feeding and nourishing this child.... teaching them everything they could to prepare them for life....wishing only the best for them.... have to suffer this atrocity? This isn't a life anyone wishes/ed for their child. It ISN"T Normal

He has felt the need to keep it quiet for so long for fear of ridicule and being sidelined by his religious family.

Telling us has personally has torn my family apart. So as far as I'm concerned...coming out is a selfish move and nothing mmore than a bunch of freaks looking to comfort their feelings of inadequacy at the cost of everyone around them. Why should my life be altered along with the rest of my family so someone can come to terms with themselves?

It's terribly sad and with outdated opinions like yours only make it harder.
IMO

IMO...We parents don't see a man/women making this choice...we see our babies who we are trying to protect choosing a twisted path which they will NEVER be comfortable with. MAybe your opinion should come from experiences that effect YOUR life.

As far as I'm concerned... society has brainwashed our children with news,television,radio, the internet and every other possible brain melting subliminal message they can possibly implant in our youth.

The NAtural Order of Things is to ensure ones species existence.... which is why man/women are supposed to be attracted to eachother.OK you have scientists playing God and providing babies for these freaks but if it wasn't for man/women.. We'd never have ensured our survival.

Common sense tells you a man and women are the natural and intended way things should be.

Another point for your" born that way argument" I'm born with INSTINCT and my instinct tells me to KILL to ensure my saftey and survival, yet I don't embrace this through logic...even though this does sometimes appeal to me as the right choice in some circumstances.

Just because we're born with something doesn't mean we have to choose it.

Sad part is I would rather my son dead than live the gay lifestyle.

[edit on 5/7/2009 by Revealation]

[edit on 5/7/2009 by Revealation]

top topics

join