It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Rumsfeld be held accountable?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I just read this article in which democratic senator Tom Harkin is calling for Rumsfeld resignation or firing by Bush.
Bush Backs Rumsfeld, Democratic Senator Calls for Secretary's Resignation
Democratic senator became the first in Congress to demand Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's resignation over the U.S. military's abuse of Iraqi prisoners, but the White House reaffirmed President Bush's support of the embattled Cabinet officer.
Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, demanded Rumsfeld's ouster "for the good of our country, the safety of our troops, and our image around the globe."

"If he does not resign forthwith, the president should fire him," said Harkin, whose statement came as White House spokesman Scott McClellan said President Bush "absolutely" wants his defense secretary to remain in office.

Being that he is the head of the military operations in Iraq, do you think he should be held accountable for the actions of those below him? Also do you think he is acting appropriately in this situation? I mean has he done enough? I personally don't think Rumsfeld should be held accountable, yes the soldiers involved and their direct supervisors and generals for their division should be accountable but Rumsfeld? I think he too far up the hierachy to have been aware or able to do anything. What do you think?

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
It is just everybody passing the buck. I just read something on CNN that stated Rumsfeld did not keep Bush informed and Rumsfeld's people did not keep him informed.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Well,

I think he should be held accountable. That is what being a leader is all about. All of the leaders involved are responsible and they are all trying to pass the buck. It's no wonder, however, that this kind of thing went on with these "not-my-fault" kind of leaders running the show.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
The thing is...Congress is mad because they had to hear about the abuse of Iraqi detainees the same way we did....when the story was broken by CBS 60 minutes.

The Pentagon knew about the abuse, had received the reports from the field, and pleaded with CBS news to hold onto the story for two weeks because of the explosive situation in Iraq. So Secretary Mr. Rumsfield must have known about the abuse as well. If he tried to sweep it under the rug, yes, he should be fired forthwith. If there is proof, the pentagon held back on informing Mr. Secretary Rumfield, then the pres should hold accountable the ones accountable below Rumsfield. The buck stops at Bush. Whether our president accepts it or not, he's ultimately the man responsible for every policy inflicted on the people of Iraq.

I say let's impeach Bush for his failure to lead our military forces in the right direction. Bush's policies are all over the map without focus.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
The whole GWB administration should be held accountable, imo.
Lie detector tests, seperate similtanious(sp) questioning
the whole lot! They have succeded in creating a chasm of hatred

S.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by radstar
Bush's policies are all over the map without focus.

I agree. I've gotten so intelligence and effectiveness are my top two criteria in a politician. I don't care about party or political leanings at all anymore. George Bush, Jr. is just plain stupid. Combine that with power, and it makes him very dangerous.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Hell yes. War Criminals belong in jail.

He should share a cell with his 80's drinking and disco buddy Saddam and ROT out the rest of his inept days.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
but do you guys really think Rumsfeld said it was okay to use these torture tactics on prisoners...i mean I am sure certain types of tactics for interrogation that most of us would be appalled at such as starvation and sleep deprivation that were being used with approval.

Could Rumsfeld have known these intentions and done nothing about it (and I don't mean knowing after the incident the occurred)? Is two weeks notice enough to hold him accountable? He was probably just trying to do damage control...when they tried to stop CBS from airing the pics..

It's hard to defend most of the Bush Administration, but I don't know if really technically blame should be on him. Isn't there a hearing in congress tomorrow with Rumsfeld? It should be very entertaining to watch.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I think both Bush and Rumsfeld should be tortured for a few days and then perhaps it would give them a new perspective.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Complete Scapegoat.

But hey, everyone wants to see rummy hang, i'm keeping my trap shut on this one.

Fry piggy, Fry!

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
If a sports team does badly, the usual action taken is to fire the coach and coaching staff, not the players.. could the same be said for the military?

I say yes, but everyone is pointing fingers here and it seems the only ones to blame are the "players".

Gazz

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Rummy may not be to blame, but he is responsible. He is "CEO" of our efforts in Iraq. To him the glory, or the ax, as is appropriate. It is not enough that no one told him. This kind of behavior happens in all wars, and it was his job to make sure it was being ferreted out and dealt with appropriately. If he was too naive to know to do this, he was an inappropriate choice for the position. Choosing someone inappropriate would be Bush's responsibility, of course.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
For those of you in the States -

Write your Senators

www.senate.gov...

Write your Rep

www.house.gov...

Let them know what you think. Otherwise its just idle chit chat serves no purpose.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by radstar
The thing is...Congress is mad because they had to hear about the abuse of Iraqi detainees the same way we did....when the story was broken by CBS 60 minutes.

This is a false statement. BG Kimmitt briefed reporters on January 16 that an investigation was under way. He even said that photographs would follow. The whole world knew.

The Pentagon knew about the abuse, had received the reports from the field, and pleaded with CBS news to hold onto the story for two weeks because of the explosive situation in Iraq.responsible for every policy inflicted on the people of Iraq.

I concur with their decision. This saved US military lives. Nothing would have been served by putting the photos on the air at that point. There were several investigations already underway at this point, so it was not being swept under the rug.

CBS was only interested in their ratings. They didn't care about the safety of the soldiers. They suck.

I say let's impeach Bush for his failure to lead our military forces in the right direction.

Why am I not surprised with your conclusion? If you work with faulty information, you're bound to reach a faulty conclusion.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Should Rumsfeld be held accountable???

Rumsfeld said the abuse "occurred on my watch as secretary of defense. I am accountable for them and I take full responsibility."

Any questions?
CNN

Rumsfeld should resign. I sincerely hope a bi-partisan contingent lead the request and Bush doesn't posture too long...for the good of the nation and the objectives of peace. The most dignified and face saving thing to do at this point is for the step down of the man claiming responsibility.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Take action now!!!

Please sign this...

www.johnkerry.com...

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Looking at the uproar the pictures in question have caused, it's obvious as to why he disallowed this horrible news to reach the media.

[Edited on 5/7/04 by xenophanes85]

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
i have changed my position on this, at first I thought Rumsfeld shouldn't be accountable, but upon further review, I have concluded that Rumsfeld, the generals and supervisors and soldiers directly involved should all be accountable....and Rumsfeld should resign.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
That is quite an admission and thank you for stating it Worldwatcher. What really turned your mind ?

Clinton was impeached for lying about sex.

Shouldn't this run to the very top ?

I did not vote for Clinton on two occasions but I felt like he was in charge, capable of making informed decisions or at least discussing the issues with his advisors. Whether you agreed with him or not he was the commander in chief.

This adminsitration has no-one willing to step forward and treat the citizens of the US and the people of the world as thinking adults.

They rule by fear and intimidation.

The make policy in secrecy and feel accountable to no-one

Might makes right - we do not have to explain anything to anyone is the Bush Admin policy.

Rumsfeld will take the fall for the president.

Americas credibility has been shredded in the eyes of the world by these military industrial cowboys. Its completly embarassing and worse - it may be debilitating to our military and to our economy.

Rumsfeld should answer for these crimes before any of the pathetic psychophants who actually comitted the acts are tried.

I'm embarassed and outraged by this

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
what made me change my mind, was the fact that there was an attempt to stop the pictures from being shown to the public and the fact that Rumsfeld is the man in charge. He is the Secretary of Defense and should be accountable for the actions of those who are under him. As I look back on the situation, trying to hide the info wasn't a form of damage control, it actually did more damage to the situation.

don't get me wrong, I don't feel he is the only one who should be accountable, many others have to face up to their part, but as the head of our defense he does bear some of the blame.

<<   2  3 >>

join