It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa's solar cycle prediction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
science.nasa.gov...

This may have already been posted and beat to death.

"....The sun is behaving in an unexpected and very interesting way."

"....Go ahead and mark your calendar for May 2013," says Pesnell. "But use a pencil."

I need to start making "readyness" a bigger priority.

""The 1859 storm--known as the "Carrington Event" after astronomer Richard Carrington who witnessed the instigating solar flare--electrified transmission cables, set fires in telegraph offices, and produced Northern Lights so bright that people could read newspapers by their red and green glow. A recent report by the National Academy of Sciences found that if a similar storm occurred today, it could cause $1 to 2 trillion in damages to society's high-tech infrastructure and require four to ten years for complete recovery. For comparison, Hurricane Katrina caused "only" $80 to 125 billion in damage.""

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This is Armageddon part XXIV.

Every few years there's another "end of the world" or Mega Disaster on the horizon. I highly doubt that anything bad will happen except that it will get really hot.

Here's what will happen:

NASA, "It's gonna get real hot!"

Dudes, "Oh snap! What can we do!?"

NASA, "Well, we'll get some engineers to building some thing-a-ma-bobber to make it all peachy keen."

Dudes, "Sweet."

Yeah, I think that's an accurate depiction of how we'll avoid Armageddon.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
NASA's ideas of what constitutes the Sun is completely wrong.

Thus it makes sense that any predictions they attempt to make about the Sun will be completely wrong.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

Thus it makes sense that any predictions they attempt to make about the Sun will be completely wrong.

just curious, if you think NASA is wrong of what makes a star, what do you think stars AKA the sun consist of?

i always look forward to other points of view.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Do you mean to say that some of the most competent Physicists and Engineers in the entire world have no idea about what "constitutes" the nearest star?

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shamrock87
This is Armageddon part XXIV.

Every few years there's another "end of the world" or Mega Disaster on the horizon. I highly doubt that anything bad will happen except that it will get really hot.

Here's what will happen:

NASA, "It's gonna get real hot!"

Dudes, "Oh snap! What can we do!?"

NASA, "Well, we'll get some engineers to building some thing-a-ma-bobber to make it all peachy keen."

Dudes, "Sweet."

Yeah, I think that's an accurate depiction of how we'll avoid Armageddon.

I am missing your connection you are making between this and armageddon

[edit on 4-7-2009 by Tank2/8]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Tank2/8

Can you imagine the pandemonium if this thing happens ???
And it probably will !!
No power---no internet---we'll be back to the dark ages for about 10 yrs .
Society would crumble, anarchy would reign. Survival of the fittest would come into play.
And that's the good news !!
Worst case scenario is we get fried to a crisp !!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Tank2/8

Well, I was exaggerating. Armageddon? No, not really.

But it appears to me that this is another "Mega Disaster" scenario.

Bad stuff like this has been "going to happen to us in the next five years" for a few hundred years. Catch my drift? I'm just saying that nothing bad will happen and trying to be funny about it, but I've never been much of a comedian.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
That is what I was thinking. I hope it would not last 10ys, but even a matter of weeks, all the looting that would take place along with general panic would be enough have me on the roof with a rifle

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Shamrock87

How do you know it's not going to be Armageddon??
Why are birds acting strange at the moment ??
Where the hell are the honeybees

Why are people acting weird ??
Maybe it's because they're picking up on something catastophic coming.
They're disorientated by it.
Does'nt anyone on here feel this ??
I hope you're all right and nothing happens, but I'm not so sure.
Animal behaviour is a good indicator of the shape of things to come.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by uk today

I don't know for sure that it's not Armageddon. But if it were I'd expect Jesus to fall out of the sky. And if he doesn't; well then it doesn't really matter anyways.

And besides, you make your own level of fear. If you want to worry about something than you will, if you want to make a big deal out of something and turn it into an omen then it will happen. Think for yourself for a moment.

"Where are all the bees going?" Well, aside from the end of the world causing the disappearance of bees there are other logic reasons. Pollution being one of them. Why are birds acting so strangely? Well, maybe the magnetic north and south are about to switch places. Who knows? But my point is that the end of the world should not be a number one priority.

[edit on 4-7-2009 by Shamrock87]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

There's plenty of time for Jesus to come tumbling down

Holding that book of revelations !!
And a solar storm worst case scenario would have us all experiencing those fires of Hell !

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Oh you edited !!
Yes there are many explanations for the honeybees and birds.
But whatever the explanation, something is happening

Birds standing in the road and crashing into windows are a bad omen in my opinion.
Same with the bees--we need them !!
But back on thread--is it not possible to shut down the grid before any solar storm hits ??
Would this protect the power supply ??

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

You have got to be kidding me.

It HAS been proven that they are right more than they are wrong. They have predicted some of the most violent storms in history.

I personally think that the effects that the solar storms had on telecommunications back then were more then enough evidence to prove NASA right!

top topics

join