It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's in a name? A lot.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by darklord

welcome back darklord...

I feel a little apprehensive as I say that - but it's just a name - right? :-)

knowing that the dark lord likes chocolate pudding comforts me - I think we'll all be OK

(really - don't you think your name should be capitalized?)

I just reread this thread myself...so glad you're back - don't stay away so long next time :-)

reply to post by Caggy

Originally posted by Caggy
Hi DarkLord! nice to see an answer! I'm an elite thread killer

don't worry about that. If you'll notice - I killed it dead last summer :-)

I may not be one of the best thread killers - but I don't suck at it

reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

your entire post - including avatar - is a thing of beauty

[edit on 8/30/2010 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Caggy

Elite thread killer eh? Looks like you're losing your touch.

Hmm. 'Whitey' and 'Blackie'. Well, gotta give your creativity SOME credit. At least you didn't just call them 'MP3' and 'Computer'. Call my phone something based on it's color characteristics? That would make it 'brownie'...
It sounds good... and delicious. But for a phone? Nah...
My phone is amazing! It's one crazy powerful piece of tech. I love what it can do. Maybe I should call it 'Gandalf the Wizard'. Because it's certainly wizard-like among phones.
Ahh... darklord and Gandalf. Best buds.

I have a surname, which incidentally is also used as a title of royalty or prestige in the Mid-East. And I'm not from the Mid-East at all. But sometimes when I get introduced to people or provide my name for official purposes, I get asked 'So, do you, like, own oil fields and stuff?'. This started happening so often that I got sick of explaining how it's just my name and not a title. Now I just say 'yes, yes I do. Five, in fact.'

All the names of everyone in my family (mom, dad and bro) start with 'Sh' except mine. Mine starts with 'Ad'. My mom tells me when I was a kid, I'd give her hell for not naming me the same way, and would even ask her 'Why did you do this to me? Don't you love me?' lol! So as a kid I resented my name, because it was different from the rest of my family. Made me feel like the odd one out. Now, my family unanimously agrees that in terms of ideas, beliefs, opinions and priorities, I AM the odd one out. I'm inclined to say that they both are unrelated, but just putting it out there anyway.

Also, my parents told me what name they had had for me in mind, as an alternative. I had liked that one much better, and cribbed to no end about how I should have been named that instead. Now, one of my best friends happens to be named that. Coincidence?

Okay, I'll take your word for it and not watch Gundam seed. Actually I don't watch anime anymore. It's been a while. I never thought about which anime character suits my personality. Interesting. But my options are limited due to not not having watched too many anime series so far. So none I guess. Though I wish I could say Itachi from Naruto, lol! I think he's pretty cool.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Thank you for your contribution. An interesting addition, and a very different spin on the whole subject. Just when I thought the topic had run out of juice! Nice timing.

Though, quite frankly, I don't seem to be able to take this whole 'anagrams of names' business too seriously. I feel the same way about it as I do about hidden, subliminal messages appearing in popular songs when played backwards. It's just clever wordplay and fanciful thinking, IMHO. Still, interesting nonetheless.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
From personal experience never call a girlfriend "Babe" unless very close and she likes it!

There is much in an name, if really it matters not or so, how the person responds to it is everything in the interaction you have.

Elf

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by darklord
I feel the same way about it as I do about hidden, subliminal messages appearing in popular songs when played backwards.

words backwards make sense in songs? subliminally?
surely not....

boots [mirror] stood
*yes, boots have been known to have stood

feed [mirror] beef
*yes, I have been known to feed on beef

shower [reversed & spelled phonetically] re-wash
*yes, I re-wash the same parts as I did last time I took a shower

eden [reversed & spelled phonetically] nude
*yes, they were reportedly nude in the garden of eden

trophy [reversed & spelled phonetically] effort
*yes, a trophy is nothing more than proof of an effort

and what is one of the first things infants put in their mouth, in their lips (actually 1 lip, it's just round)

in lip
reverse sequence of syllables =
ni pil = nipple

no truth in anagrams? you might be right....

the following phrases contain the same exact ingredients:

on ape code, voluminous instructors
a superconductive solution, morons
annuit coeptis novus ordo seclorum

a cypher is a key to unlocking a code.

lose cypher = lucifer .... dark lord?

just clever wordplay and fanciful thinking, IMHO. Still, interesting nonetheless.

you might be right, maybe just wordplay and fanciful thinking.

one more:

where god is
gee, words hi!

[edit on 31-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

welcome back darklord...

I feel a little apprehensive as I say that - but it's just a name - right? :-)

knowing that the dark lord likes chocolate pudding comforts me - I think we'll all be OK

(really - don't you think your name should be capitalized?)

I just reread this thread myself...so glad you're back - don't stay away so long next time :-)

"but it's just a name - right?" lol!!! What a thing to say on this thread! Just hope the OP doesn't see that...

Oh yes! The darklord LOVES chocolate pudding and tummy rubs! Also, darklord occasionally helps old ladies cross the street. On some days, the most evil darklord can manage is to tip less at the coffee shop.

And thank you! Glad to know I was missed. It's been ages, and I've been preoccupied with a lot of stuff. But yes, I'm back now.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

the following phrases contain the same exact ingredients:

on ape code, voluminous instructors
a superconductive solution, morons
annuit coeptis novus ordo seclorum

Umm, what exactly does that prove? What is your conclusion?

lol! This one's my favorite!
(and so NOT clever wordplay or fanciful thinking)

where god is
gee, words hi!

What does that even mean???

Your 'mirrored' as well as your 'reversed & spelled phonetically' words were at least more significant and entertaining.
Sorry, but I still feel the same way.

Oh by the way,

surely not....

Some people claim it, and do manage to present 'evidence'.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Originally posted by MischeviousElf

From personal experience never call a girlfriend "Babe" unless very close and she likes it!

Haha! Now THAT'S a lesson I imagine one can only learn the hard way!

Do I need a second line here or does the quoted one count as the first? Just in case...

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
This being said about names you can imagine the power of the media-tv. Then you have the body language of the one delivering the info, the musical tones, the flicker rates, how a camera pans or a certain advertisement is run or that little spinning logo in the lower right corner...those gawdawful news snippets tickering away at the bottom of the screen.

Ever notice how FOX constantly pushes the name LIBERAL in every other sentence they speak on just about every subject

[edit on 31-8-2010 by superluminal11]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by darklord

Umm, what exactly does that prove? What is your conclusion?

it doesn't necessarily "prove" anything, just a few more examples of anagrams.

lol! This one's my favorite!
(and so NOT clever wordplay or fanciful thinking)

thank you, i thought you might like that one.

where god is
gee, words hi!

What does that even mean???

if there is truisms encrypted/encoded into language, (people can form their own opinions) it could mean that god is in the words.

Your 'mirrored' as well as your 'reversed & spelled phonetically' words were at least more significant and entertaining.
Sorry, but I still feel the same way.

oh, i'm not trying to convince you. i was just sharing examples of how our words may be more than just left to right.

Oh by the way,

surely not....

Some people claim it, and do manage to present 'evidence'.

i was being a little sarcastic, sorry. i know a few more thousand examples of the reverse/mirror image of words that produces similar results.

i was just sharing that possibly (via "neuro-linguistics" perhaps) that there seems to be truisms in the words, imo.

i can give you one more example of the anagram thingy in names, and i will drop it:
old west action
clint eastwood (played in a lot of old western films)

i'm suggesting it may effect our conscious decisions at a subconscious level, that sometimes we are not aware of. but, admittingly, i might be wrong.

just thought i would share,
john paul

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

WOW that was a cool name anagram diagram. Where do you find this stuff? Did you make it?

OP~ I understand what you mean by names. I have two names, one I was born with and the persona or alternate personality as I call it that I portray at work. I do NOT like being called my work name outside of work unless it's my best friend, we will always call each other our stage names because we find it weird to call each other our real names lol

I constantly tell people not to call me by my work name and they do anyway and I hate when I am introduced with that name. It's not my name. I am a totally different person outside of work and I would like to keep those separate. Lately I have been giving my real name to people first and then my stage name and asking people to call me by that so hopefully it works.

People tend to think I am that person outside of work. They will even say oh where is the "Paris" I know and I tell them I am not Paris out of work I am Andrea. It's frustrating.

Also as a kid people tried to call me Andy and I hated it. Thank god that never stuck. I told people I was too girly to have a boys name

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Ah, looks like I overlooked the sarcasm there...

Like I said, all your examples are very interesting and quite fascinating. But I didn't see the point in them or where you were heading with the whole thing.

But you really caught my attention with this:

i'm suggesting it may effect our conscious decisions at a subconscious level, that sometimes we are not aware of.

Now THAT is something to think about. Now I know were you were coming from with this. And it's made me reconsider all you've said, from a different perspective.

Very very interesting.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

A year since this thread was down and out, and all of a sudden such interesting accounts make their way here. What you've just said is most intriguing. I have a few questions.

So you have a 'stage name' that you use at work, and your 'real name' for outside work. You say it's frustrating when people outside of work call you 'Paris'. But has it ever happened that people at work have called you 'Andrea'? If so, how does that feel? What is your reaction?

Also, this is something I'd find really interesting, can you describe the difference in personalities between Paris and Andrea? And what made you decide you needed an alternative personality at work?

And, the last question. Why 'Paris'?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by thedude69

Eeek, no offense intended but the 1st thing I think of with a name like Trick is VD. Trich is short for trichamonas, an STD..

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
When I chose my user name years ago (I use the same name on most sites) I was experiencing some time with a wild little kitten I had just gotten. I named her Daisy Mae. She was a lovable but crazy full time job so I took the user name Crazydaisy. Most people on the net think my name is Daisy, it isn't. I am female but my parents wanted a boy so they gave me a boys name for my middle name. And now we have this hurricane riding up the US east coast and it has my name - Earl.

I find the posts interesting! A name is something we have to live with - parents should put a lot of thought behind nameing their children - think about what the nickname might be,etc. And now in the land of cyber we can choose a name for ourselves. I have been wanting to change my user name to my Native American given name - Little Twisted Stick which has also resulted in some teasing on my native sites so I will give it some further thought.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I do think names are important because they tend to stick with you for life.

The problem comes when you start naming children with names such as...

Memphis Eve: Bono

Moon Unit: Frank Zappa, also father to Dweezil and Diva Muffin

Moxie CrimeFighter: Penn Jillette (also father to Zolten)

Ocean: Forest Whitaker (also father to Sonnet and True)

Pilot Inspektor: Jason Lee and Beth Riesgraf

Poppy Honey: Jamie and Jules Oliver (also parents to Daisy Boo)

Rocket: Robert Rodriguez (also father to Racer, Rebel and Rogue)

Rufus Tiger: Roger Taylor also father to Tiger Lily and Lola Daisy

Saffron Sahara: Simon and Yasmin Le Bon (also parents to Amber Rose and Tallulah Pine)

Sage Moonblood: Sylvester Stallone and Sasha Czack (also parents to Seargeoh)

women.timesonline.co.uk...

If there is vibes from names, I wonder what vibes some of these names gather

I bet you there is someone, somewhere with the name Muckfart Mcbigguns.

I have never had a problem with anyones name in life. They cant choose it after all and if someone does not like you because of a name I think thats a reflection on themselves more than anything else.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   

wooo, call it Gandalf! That's amazing!
anyway... brownieee.... om nom nom nom
My name is very hispanic, but the short form I use is also a name in english and is easier to spell for non spanish speakers. It means the same in both ways too (that's one of the reasons I like it in short... ). I would love to be called with a croatian name, as I said, croatian resonates more with me than spanish, but my surname is stupidly hispanic. Now I'm going to try changing the order of my surnames legally, it's a long process but I can't stand to have my dad's anymore.

I also don't watch anime anymore... I got bored some years ago. The only anime I've watched are the new Evangelion movies, because my best friend owns the first on blu ray and the tiny conspiracy theorist inside me jumped so high while watching it. Then we watched the second in HD, my BFF is going to buy it on blu ray too. It's so freaking full of signs, it's scary =s.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join