It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC Muslims push to add holidays to school year

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

There's a different between a minority and an immigrant. Keep it in mind.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Aren't we supposed to be a secular state because if so why do we have any religious holidays. It should be left up to the person and there family.

People supposedly came here for religious freedom what the heck happen to that; that should be the first thing and everything else second.

School should be you come all days except federal holidays that have no religious tone to them, if you choose to take off because of a religious holiday that is fine but if you fall behind its your own fault and it is your responsibility on how you will get back up to speed.

We didn't have all these holidays back in the old days so they should not be here now.

There should be no religious holidays or we should have the major ones of the top 5 religions of the country.

I don't like forcing my religion on others who choose to believe something different and that should be the way; if we truly have a separation of church and state there should be no religious holidays at all regardless of the religion.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I want to know what christian holidays the kids get a vacation for?

There isn't any such thing as Christmas anymore. We know have holidays. Go to any store before Christmas and I garuntee any worker will tell you happy holidays as opposed to merry christmas.

Kids don't have Easter breaks they have spring break.

At one time they may have been christian holidays, but not anymore. The people are making a fuss for no reason at all.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
I want to know what christian holidays the kids get a vacation for?

There isn't any such thing as Christmas anymore. We know have holidays. Go to any store before Christmas and I garuntee any worker will tell you happy holidays as opposed to merry christmas.

Kids don't have Easter breaks they have spring break.

At one time they may have been christian holidays, but not anymore. The people are making a fuss for no reason at all.

Actually I have been to many stores where the workers have said Merry Christmas, Happy Easter etc.

My brothers school calendar says Christmas & Easter Break.

It may be the area where you are but the whole country is not like that.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   

I understand your feeling. True, if we moved to most other countries this would not be an issue. Screw you and conform. I agree about certain things... even though we don't have a national language, if you move here, learn English. My great-grandparent and grandparents not born here did. They felt it was there duty.
However, we're not another country. We're supposed to be a beacon of hope for the world, aren't we? We can't give children off every holiday in the world. However, how about just giving kids a certain number of holiday days they can use for observing (or, not observing) the religion (or non-religion) they were born to?
Whether any of us like it or not, the country is going to change. Might as well change it gracefully.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

Johnmike, you raise a fantastic point which I would hope would be obvious (obviously, it is not).

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

what is the religion of our country again?

I forget

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join