It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Nurse (and good friend) has Flu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
She was sent home from her Chicago suburban hospital yesterday after collapsing with high fever ---yes--- SENT HOME--- with Tamiflu and orders to take 2 weeks off work. She WAS tested- and the PCR testing showed H1N1 seropositivity- but I don't know about any mutations, as the hospital doesn't have the ability to test beyond a positive/negative.

She is so ill her mother has temporarily moved into her condo to care for her. She is an experienced, degreed, ER nurse at a busy hospital, whose ICU dept. is full, and which has suspended non-essential procedures due to the number of ill patients needing beds.

When I spoke to her on the phone earlier she said that the testing of the incoming and admitted patients was almost exclusively positive for H1N1; that Tamiflu was effective on some; Relenza was used on others and that if, in a few days she does not improve on Tamiflu, she will be "switched" to Relenza.

The hospital is in the heart of an affluent area of the Chicago suburbs, and according to my nurse friend, is already aware of resistance issues, and is using not only Relenza, but the amantadines (sp?)?, which are even more dangerous.

She is to report to her superiors daily, and has been told an ambulance will come for her if she does not improve....She has Crohn's disease and I'm extremely worried for her.

To our ATS members in Chicago- resistance is here, as is an infection rate far greater than is reported. In addition- the Taste of Chicago is going on right now and 1 Milion people are expected at the fireworks tonight- our city has done NOTHING to attempt stopping the spread of flu- despite our state having one of the highest infection rates in the US. It's shocking and unfathomable.

Stay well and please say a prayer (light a candle- whatever) for my friend. She is a devoted caretaker and deserves a long life (and, for the people who are ill here, and elsewhere).

BTW- I've reported on traffic activity in Chicago lately- yesterday was the only day in a good 6-8 weeks when it was heavy- a combo of people going on holiday; the Taste of Chicago and a Cubs home game. Nevertheless, my husband got in and out of the downtown area in two hours, in the middle of all of that. It would normally be half a day. I will continue reporting- and you can check traffic anywhere with Google maps traffic app- it shows real-time trafic anywhere. It's a god tool and can show that, while, for example, there are multiple construction sites in Chicago, traffic is surprisingly navigable, in despite. Usefull, I think.

In wellness,

C

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CultureD

I'm so sorry to hear about the illness of your friend. I have family in Chicago so your story concerns me. I live about an hour out of Chicago and I wasn't aware that this new strain of flu is hitting as hard as you mentioned.

I commend your friend for performing her duty amid the risks involved in her profession. May she make a speedy recovery and godspeed to it! There is more to this flu stain than what the government and CDC have been leading on about.

[edit on 3-7-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Thank you, Jakes- I think all of us here are going to be afected in some way- ourselves- freinds, family- and it's helpful to have the support of a community- albeit an anonymous one- but one who actually cares.

Chicago is getting hit harder than the MSM will admit, and no matter where each of us lives in the world, it's crucial we report what's happening- espescially for those who live locally.

I hope you and your family remain well- and thank you for your thoughts and wishes.

Peace,

C

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Relenza should have been given first as it is only effective when given within the first 48 hours of flu symptoms presenting. One has to question why the doctors at the Chicago Hospital would give Tamiflu first rather than the Relenza.

It may help your friend if you get some immune boosting meds such as Olive Leaf Extract, Vitamin D3 or similar which a naturopath could recommend for her.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Nineteen-

Told her the same thing- it's unbelievable how stupid hospitals are, despite their staff (many of whom are brilliant).

She and I plan to talk later today and in an email just a few minutes ago, she told me she was going to demand Relenza- so at least she's on it- I think she got hit so hard she wasn't thinking well and took the Tami- now that she's home, thinking, etc., she's making good decisions.

And what's so upsetting is that this hospital serves a large population of the suburbs of Chicago- and they're making bad decisions. I wonder how many won't walk out because of that?

Thanks for the note- we're on it.

Peace

top topics

join