It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking N. Korea test-fires short-range missiles off east coast: S. Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Breaking N. Korea test-fires short-range missiles off east coast: S. Korea

english.yonhapnews.co.kr

SEOUL, July 2 (Yonhap) -- North Korea test-fired a pair of what appears to be short-range missiles off its east coast on Thursday, a South Korean official said.

"One was fired at 5:20 p.m. and the other at 6:00 p.m. from Sinsang-ni" near the eastern coastal city of Wonsan, South Korean defense ministry spokesman Won Tae-jae said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Just breaking. Condemnation for their last launch was already extraordinary strong. It doesn't seem to bother them though. The tougher restrictions that have recently been applied further isolate North Korea. We have now ended up at the brink of war, it's a matter of waiting for them to instigate a war as soon as they feel too much threatened by the world.

It has become inevitable as North Korea has wasted every chance of better relations with the world.

english.yonhapnews.co.kr
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
now we have to wait US reactions to this..still i beleive they are too busy in Afghanistan lately

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
So many *conflicting reports - and then the facts.

Thank you for the news.

I wish I could re-write the headlines and have them scream PEACE - but I can’t.

Now we'll have to see what Obama - I mean the PTB decide to do.

Pray it isn't something completely stupid.

peace

*North Korea – Impending Missile Launch May Require US Military Action

**North Korea Shows No Sign of Imminent Missile Launch, U.S. Says

[edit on 2-7-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
This just in (for me at least)

The launch was expected.

The North Korean government issued a warning to mariners to avoid an area in the Sea of Japan at certain times between June 24 and July 9 because of a "military firing exercise," according to a U.S. military communication about the warning provided to CNN.

link to CNN

If the MSM KNEW about this - why not tell us before hand and stop with the fear mongering!

grrrr and double grrrr!

peace

[edit on 2-7-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
The stupidity is the continuing provocations coming from NK such as this.The UN and the region grow weary of the threats.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09
The stupidity is the continuing provocations coming from NK such as this.The UN and the region grow weary of the threats.

Ftw.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
What bothers me is that real threats are not taken care of. Saddam Hussein, who was hardly capable of doing much damage on a regional scale, yet taken down based on the motive of a WMD threat, but no evidence has ever been shown. Of course he was cruel to his people, but lacked the military capability to do much regional or global damage as was made us to believe by our leaders.

This in contrast to North Korea, their evil intentions are very obvious and militarily they are capable to cause destruction regionally. Not to speak of the fact that the North Korean regime is crazy to launch a strike on South Korea, while Saddam wasn't, he was merely evil.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Nk is pretty safe from being overrun. They have no oil fields (Iraq), and no poppy fields (Afghanistan). They are just another poor country.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   

edition.cnn.com...

SEOUL, South Korea (CNN) -- North Korea fired several short-range missiles toward the Sea of Japan on Saturday, an act that the U.S. watched closely and South Korea called provocative.

Pyongyang fired seven short-range missiles in less than seven hours, South Korea's Foreign Ministry said.

The missiles were apparently Scud-type, estimated to have a range of about 500 kilometers (310 miles), according to South Korea's Yonhap news agency.

South Korean intelligence estimates that North Korea has about 700 such missiles in its arsenal.

Pyongyang test-fired four such missiles off the east coast Thursday, Yonhap reported.

South Korea called the launches a provocative act, according to a government statement.

North Korea had issued a warning to mariners to avoid an area in the Sea of Japan at certain times between June 24 and July 9 because of a "military firing exercise," according to a U.S. military communication about the warning provided to CNN.

The recent firings come amid heightened tensions on the Korean peninsula. North Korea conducted a nuclear test in May, fired test rockets and threatened U.S. and South Korean ships near its territorial waters. Video Watch S. Korea confirm firing of missiles »

The first two missiles were fired about 8 a.m. and 8:30 a.m., Yonhap reported. Another missile was launched about 10:45 a.m., the agency reported. A fourth one came some time after that.
Don't Miss

The U.S. Navy and other U.S. officials said they are ready to track any missiles.

"The United States is aware of possible missile launches by North Korea. We are closely monitoring North Korea's activities and intentions," a U.S. official said.

"This type of North Korea behavior is not helpful. What North Korea needs to do is fulfill its international obligations and commitments."

Earlier this week analyst Daniel Pinkston said the reported test might be training for a future test but it could also just be a routine military exercise.

"It is worrisome to some degree, but it is different from a ballistic missile launch," said Pinkston, of the International Crisis Group in Seoul, South Korea.
advertisement

"It's part of military training, but there seem to be no movements of troops or anything that would suggest preparations for military operations.

"So yes, people are watching it, the military is watching it here, but I don't think it's related to any plans or operations to attack anyone."

And the saga continues. Japan already announced that North Korea would likely launch more missiles, so it's all but unexpected. However, I don't quite get what they are trying to reach here.

[edit on 4-7-2009 by Mdv2]

top topics

join