It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theory of Gravitational Interstellar Travel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Early this morning, as i was tossing and turning in bed, something came to my mind.. space travel. As my mind tossed around ideas, one, seemingly brilliant idea came to me.. what if space travel isnt about how fast you push your spaceship towards a distant object, say mars, or even another galaxy, but how strong a gravitational force has on pulling you to that point. say, somehow (by the way, i dont know how this technology would be built or even if its possible..) you could beam a gravitational force from one planet to another, to a specific object like a spaceship. and if you could lock onto this spaceship, and pull with enough force, would it be easier to travel that way? also, this could be placed into einstein's theory on the fabric of space and time, say, you pull on a piece of the universe's "fabric" and stretch it to your point in space. then you latch onto that piece with your spaceship, or whatever you have, and then release the piece of space time, with your ship still attached, would it travel that distance in a fraction of the time? also, if this theory could be held true, that also might mean black holes arent really the destructive force we think they are. they could be just a portal shooting through space time into another part of space time, the only thing is, is that we would have to figure out a way to either re arrange back our particles when we pass through it, or to be able to stretch our particles and be able to bring them back on the other side... what do you guys (and gals) think?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Sounds kinda like an idea I had. If we could focus gravity like a magnifying glass focuses light, maybe we could pull ourselves around instead of having to exert force against gravity.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
exactly.. use gravity for us, instead of against us

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I believe you're sorta referring to warp-drive technology. Yes, this will be possible - in this century, too! There's a breakthrough, an axiom of science, if you will, that must first be recognized. And it's actually quite close!! This new realm of physics will allow the harnessing of gravity via a stable set of dual micro-singularities sustained by the self-contained high-speed rotation of four fluid vortices. Further developments with this technology will usher in a new age of space travel, peace & prosperity for Mankind.

When this happens, you can say goodbye to currency, too.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
kind of.. but instead of moving all space like warp drive supposedly would, this would only "stretch" a part of space, to a point where you could latch onto it, and ride with it when it returns to its normal state.... its like this.. imagine your spaceship as a rock, and the fabric of space as a slingshot, as you attach the rock to the slingshot, and stretch it back, the slingshot, once let go, will return back to its normal shape, and will also launch the rock faster than what you would if it were thrown, or were to move by its own forces..

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Finesse, not force....

Yeah, up till now we have been traveling by force... wheather by rocket, internal combustion engine, or horseback.

Suppose there was no such thing as "gravity" and that what we call gravity is meerly the observed effect of distorted spacetime. We know that mass distorts spacetime, and that mass and energy are interchangeable. Or is energy just a manifestation of spacetime in flux? And is matter just a massive manifestation of spacetime pockets?

Experimentation with spinning superconducting rings has shown some interesting results:
www.sciencedaily.com...

I wonder if anyone has ever taken a energized torroidal coil with a very strong feild (mostly contained inside the core) and spun it up, similar to the spinning superconductor? The Aharonov-Bohm effect ( en.wikipedia.org... ) spinning fast enough, just might twist the fabric enough to be usefull.

Just food for thought,

Vger

"learn all that is learnable and return that knowledge to the creator"

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Angelsoftheapocalypse

You are correct in your assessment. But remember, Gravity affects time. You have to remember that a very powerful gravity object, IE a black hole, has an ergosphere and an event horizon. Utilizing this will aid you.

See my topic for some ideas. I would love to see what your mind can create based on what I wrote here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Keep flowing with your ideas. simulate it in your mind, create sketches of such a ship, share it with the community or others near you. Never let such thoughts be lost. They are very important for the future advancement in Humanity's space operations.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Well, it is an interesting theory...

But considering that we still don't even know how Gravity works, what causes it to function, etc, etc, etc....

This might be a while into the future even developing a working theory.

But it is interesting.

-Edrick

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
It is possible that in the more distant reaches of space you will find a gravity repelling force. This has been postulated in a theory that gravity is not caused by "pulling" of matter, but rather due to the repelling of this other material (i believe it was tied to dark matter somehow).

However, if gravity is tied to matter as it is currently believed, then what you would have in the deepest, darkest reaches of space would be a true vacuum with a relative timeflow that is grossly different than what we experience.

If there is a truth to the "repelling force" theory from above, then these darker areas of space would likely be filled with the repulsive matter.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Visualizing spacetime as a 2D plane that is streched by a mass resting on it may be backward. Perhaps we should be visualizing spacetime as a cloud that is compressed, or held closer together by the mass.

Perhaps thinking of concentric spheres of spacetime with the spacing between the sphere layers becoming smaller and smaller the closer you get to the mass. But then... as you enter the mass and move toward its center, does the sphere spacing increase? If one were able to exist in a sphere at the center of the earth, you would float.

If the "spacetime spheres" get compacted to tightly, does it become what we call matter? And get enough of that matter together in a clump and it has a natural affinity for the spacetime surrounding it.

Hmmmmm.....

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by vger6
Finesse, not force....

Yeah, up till now we have been traveling by force... wheather by rocket, internal combustion engine, or horseback.

Suppose there was no such thing as "gravity" and that what we call gravity is meerly the observed effect of distorted spacetime. We know that mass distorts spacetime, and that mass and energy are interchangeable. Or is energy just a manifestation of spacetime in flux? And is matter just a massive manifestation of spacetime pockets?

Experimentation with spinning superconducting rings has shown some interesting results:
www.sciencedaily.com...

I wonder if anyone has ever taken a energized torroidal coil with a very strong feild (mostly contained inside the core) and spun it up, similar to the spinning superconductor? The Aharonov-Bohm effect ( en.wikipedia.org... ) spinning fast enough, just might twist the fabric enough to be usefull.

Just food for thought,

Vger

"learn all that is learnable and return that knowledge to the creator"

Actually I had that same thought when we discovered the gravitational lensing effect on superconductors. Which actually led my mind to make a gravo-magnetism connection, since the warping is caused by the super strong magnetic field.

There was a spinning super fluid theory. Hold on let me find what I'm talking about I'll re post in a min.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Well, we're waiting...

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Your idea is similar to what Bob Lazar says. The website of Bob Lazar is given below

www.boblazar.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Here's a video all about anti-gravity, it makes an analogy of gravity to electro-magnetism. It also talks about the spinning super liquid DaMod spoke of. I'll add another one from the same author about nanotechnology. They're both very informative and applicable to any sort of space travel. Enjoy.

Anti-Gravity
www.youtube.com...

Nanotechnology
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 26-7-2009 by The Monolith]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Quite an interesting idea.

The only thing I could think of is it could give a whole new meaning to whiplash.

Maybe I'm envisioning it wrong but I'm picturing it kind of like a bungee cord or rubber band type of effect.

If that's the case you would either need a way to stop from being smashed into the object providing the gravitational pull or stop before over shooting the object and ending up on the opposite side of it at the same distance from the object just in the opposite direction.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Has anyone taken the time to review the last issue of Scientific American, the article titled Adventures in Curved Spacetime?

If not, here it is...

I also see someone else discovered that it can work to escape a gravitational field. I can provide the link later.

Now I am really excited about this. What I would like to know is if anyone else sees the implications I see.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Well, probably not.

So I started my own thread.

I can't afford to wait any longer. I am going ahead with the space drive because it is real progress in physics.

If any wish to "swim" on over to my thread we can discuss the implications of the recent findings in General Relativity.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
A while ago I came up with a thought,

A pull, push, release affect.

Control over instantaneous fluctuating multiple mini singularities.

Your craft would have a device made up of something able to fluctuate multiple mini singularities so fast that it would be able to rip space, release space all while pushing your craft in the direction you wish to go.

You see, you continuously pull space toward your craft while continuously releasing space while continually propelling your craft onto the space you just pulled and released.

This is to say if space is made up of something, like you see examples of how the planets sit and cause gravity to bend, so I guess your pulling, releasing gravity while having propulsion push you in a direction.

In this pic I drew up, you might get an understanding of what I'm saying. its almost like the sheet of paper theory fold it in half create a worm hole to get from A to B, except you just pull point B closer while propelling yourself away from point A. no worm hole needed.

If the pic does not show up completely, right click and view image.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/58e404ec85e8.jpg[/atsimg]

new topics

top topics

join