It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uranium Found on the Moon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

news.yahoo.com

Uranium exists on the moon, according to new data from a Japanese spacecraft.

The findings are the first conclusive evidence for the presence of the radioactive element in lunar dirt, the researchers said. They announced the discovery recently at the 40th Lunar and Planetary Conference and at the Proceedings of the International Workshop Advances in Cosmic Ray Science.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related Article:

[edit on 29-6-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
"The revelation suggests that nuclear power plants could be built on the moon, or even that Earth's satellite could serve as a mining source for uranium needed back home."

Uranium on the freakin moon!? Maybe John Lear wasn't lieing about the strip mines on the moon? Who knows. Now there is going to be alot of fuss about who goes there to get what. Should the UN sanction the moon? Kiddin

-E-

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Crap! Even the moon gets nuclear power and the US still can't have it. Man something is going on here that is wrong.

This is pretty cool, although I don't know why they wouldn't mine the helium 3 that is on the moon before the uranium. Sounds like the development of a cover story.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Do you think that there will be conflicts between countries that want to mine the Uranium from the Moon?

If everyone needs the Uranium, then who is going to get it?

[edit on 29-6-2009 by danielsil18]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Well maybe we will not mine it, or at least let anyone know about it since the Outer Space Treaty prohibits it. (Ya, I just heard of it too)

The treaty explicitly forbids any government from claiming a celestial resource such as the Moon or a planet, since they are province of mankind

-E-

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Good find MysterE. Uranium and Helium 3 huh. Great, now we are gonna mine the moon to death.

Hopefully somone will sanction the moon. Just not someone from our planet

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juston
Good find MysterE. Uranium and Helium 3 huh. Great, now we are gonna mine the moon to death.

Hopefully somone will sanction the moon. Just not someone from our planet

I was aware of the Helium 3, but now that there is Uranium, I kind of want to go mine me some of that stuff! Not really, I'm kind of freaked out by the implications, and I have a hard time believing NASA did not know this earlier.

-E-

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Oh nice find there, I wonder is it the same uranium we use, or is there different elements. Oh and who is going to volunteer to travel to the moon, all expenses paid, but who says you will be comming back.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

I have a hard time believing NASA did not know this earlier.

Maybe they mined some of it before Japan found about it and made it public.

If you find a Gold mine:

Will you tell everyone about it?

Or will you take most of it, if not all before anyone finds it?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
It would chiefly be useful for use on the Moon itself and in space, as there is enough Uranium and (better) Thorium here on Earth to fuel any fission reactors we might want to build for a very long time.

However if Polywell Fusion proves to work, it may all prove irrelevant.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
A quick question I've always wondered....

You know how you can buy an acre of the moon? What if any reserves are in your acre. Do you own the mining rights? Can you charge the governments for mining in your plot??

Just a thought....

Also if you own where the moon landings were, can you charge for 40yrs of parking of the rover??

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

The treaty explicitly forbids any government from claiming a celestial resource such as the Moon or a planet, since they are province of mankind

Can a Billonaire buy the moon? It forbids any government to claim it. But can a person buy it?

just asking.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Ok, I know how everyone feels about John Lear, but look at this picture

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c89ea49ac139.jpg[/atsimg]

Uranium Strip Mine?

Pic from SkepticOverlord's thread
Lunar Strip Mine in John Lear's Moon Photos??

-E-

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

why didn't NASA find any when they've collected dust and rocks?

another possibility about the discovery...what if an argument is put forward making the moon inaccesible to everyone except a select few? This would mean that only a few groups could access the moon under the pretext that it would be dangerous for anyone else because the potential to use the material to make bombs would be too great?

hey it's possible

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE
Ok, I know how everyone feels about John Lear, but look at this picture

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c89ea49ac139.jpg[/atsimg]

Uranium Strip Mine?

Pic from SkepticOverlord's thread
Lunar Strip Mine in John Lear's Moon Photos??

-E-

well that does certainly look very convincing

good photo

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Think one of the pretexts of claiming anything on the moon is the capability of getting there, don't you think? As far as I know, the only flag hoisted on the moon so far from Earth by human beings is the U.S. flag, right?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

True!

Though Helium 3 contains a heck of a lot more punch than any substance we use now. I'm not sure that a shuttle tank falling out of the sky and accidentally exploding would be anything short of 50+ TSAR BOMBAs combined. I would assume it's far more dangerous than that.

Just a shuttle payload bay full could power the USA for a whole year.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by danielsil18
Do you think that there will be conflicts between countries that want to mine the Uranium from the Moon?

Seems a bit pointless to fight over the Moon for uranium when there's an abundance of it here in Australia...

More yellow cake than the world can use!

IRM

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

No, I don't think it would react as far as I have read on the subject. It seems like it would just vaporize. To get fusion they need to deuterium. I think it would just burn up.

Although they can get He3 from the maintenance of nuclear weapons. Strange all and all.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I suspect that when it comes to identifying potential mineral resources on the moon, we've only scratched the surface. (pardon the pun
)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join