It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comics artist Mark Sable detained for Unthinkable acts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Comics artist Mark Sable detained for Unthinkable acts

sfscope.com

Boom! Studios sends word that comics writer Mark Sable was detained by TSA security guards at Los Angeles International Airport this past weekend because he was carrying a script for a new issue of his comic miniseries Unthinkable. Sable was detained while traveling to New York for a debut party at Jim Hanley's Universe today.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
well.. this doesn't surprise me in the least, going on all the time and if people would just realize that the we ARE in a orwellian state ALREADY, why be surprised by what goes on in the US and it's allies??????

I dunno, maybe we don't get it .. sorry to hear this happened, but, those in the Alpha governments are nothing more than para-military ..

sfscope.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Did they torture Mark to make him say this?

'In the end, I feel my privacy is a small price to pay for educating the government about the medium.'

I would expect more like:
"In the end, I feel my privacy is a small price to pay for educating the people about the government."

[edit on 6/29/2009 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The story is that they did not discover the Unthinkable script until he had been flagged for extra screening. The headline is misleading.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
The story is that they did not discover the Unthinkable script until he had been flagged for extra screening. The headline is misleading.

The headline is very misleading. Also "detained" doesn't mean arrested, and the script was not even confiscated.

I am no fan of a police state, but if I am getting on an airplane, and someone has written rantings about bringing down airplanes, then I am perfectly happy with them requiring a little extra attention!

I am a private pilot, and when I bring pilot magazines on a commercial flight it usually gets a little attention, and I completely understand.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
i enjoy the oh-so-delicious irony in this.

but i think maybe he was rightfully searched, even though the security seemed a little dense. a cursory google search probably wouldve proved that he was a comic artist and cleared the mess up rather quickly.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

What are you saying? That anyone with a little notoriety cannot possibly be a terrorist? That's not how the government taught you to think! Back to camp.

The whole idea is that anyone and everyone can be a terrorist and if you aren't scared, you are probably a terrorist too.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
It is true that he was singled out and underwent not one but two extra screenings prior to their discovery of the script. This does change the entire tenor of the reality from the article.

However, it does make one curious as to why he would be singled out twice for two extra screenings.

If he was on the TSA No Fly List for being a suspected terrorist, he wouldn't have made it that far to Passenger Security Checks. He would have been taken away at the Ticket Desk when he checked in. So, the argument of him being a suspected terrorist does not apply.

If he had made it to the Security Screening Area then either he triggered the Metal Detector Test which would have initiated an extra screening, or his Carry-On Baggage failed the Metal Detector Test.

If the individual failed the Metal Detector Test then the additional screening would have included a hand-wand inspection in conjunction with a pat-down inspection that includes the torso.

If the Carry-On Baggage failed the Metal Detector Test then the additional screening would have been conducted in private room, having his Carry-On Baggage opened and examined by a Security Officer on a table in the passenger's presence.

Considering they discovered and read his script, it sounds like the latter of the two, being that his Carry-On Baggage failed the Metal Detector Test and further testing was conducted until it was finally opened and examined by Security Officers in the passenger's presence as is S.O.P. for the TSA

TSA Security Checkpoints Procedure.

Nothing nefarious here, nor any overstep in the TSA's boundaries. If they had given him flak because of the contents of the script, then it would be a different story, but it sounds like the TSA actually did what they were supposed to do and for once didn't overstep their boundaries.

Actually, it sounds like a great way to hype your new Graphic Novel. Purposely put something metallic in your Carry-On, along with the script of your Comic Book, and go through Airport Security knowing that you will be pulled aside so that your Carry-On can be additionally screened. After it is over, go to the Media and tell them that the reason for the screening was because of your script! Free Media Hype for no money down to market your script! Sounds like this Comic Book Author has a very creative agent.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I've been through that routine more than once.

I don't generally carry material related to terrorism while flying, but I wouldn't be surprised if I were to be questioned about such material if I did.

I don't think there really is a story here.

Sadly, this is the new normal and we all get picked for extra scrutiny by the TSA from time to time.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpottI don't generally carry material related to terrorism while flying, but I wouldn't be surprised if I were to be questioned about such material if I did.

Actually, your post just reminded me of something...

Back in the late 1970's I was boarding a flight from Detroit with my mother when I was 10 years old. I was carrying with me a book on the Titanic and another book on the Lusitania to keep me occupied for the long 12 hour flight. I had forgotten how much grief the stewardess gave us when I pulled out those books. They delayed the aircraft from taking off from the terminal and had Security board the plane to question my mother and I at length about my choice of reading material. Eventually Security let the plane take off, with my family aboard, but not before giving my mother scornful glances for allowing her child to read such inappropriate things on an airplane.

I remember thinking to myself how ludicrous that was. It wasn't like I had brought along a book about famous Aircraft Disasters! Geez!

And that was long before 9/11 and the TSA!

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

What are you saying? That anyone with a little notoriety cannot possibly be a terrorist? That's not how the government taught you to think! Back to camp.

The whole idea is that anyone and everyone can be a terrorist and if you aren't scared, you are probably a terrorist too.

no. in his article they didnt believe that people write comics about things other than superheroes and that they didnt believe that people write actual scripts for them. im sure if they looked they wouldve realized that those things were true and it indeed was a script.

top topics

join