It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

St. Apostle Paul Remains Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Some of You might find this interesting , I found an article about this on my local news portal , but found also an English one .

news.softpedia.com...

Edit: hmm wierd that english article seems to be from 2006 but this one is from today (in Polish ).

wiadomosci.onet.pl...

[edit on 28-6-2009 by Thill]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Thill

"I have no doubt that this is the tomb of St Paul, as revered by Christians in the fourth century," said Giorgio Filippi, the Vatican archaeologist who made the discovery.

ahem

and this is from the people that push the bible on the world

About as reliable as an umbrella in a hurricane

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I wouldn't put much stock in this. How would we know if it's Paul's remains? Do we have a strand of his DNA that we can test it against? Probably not.

Anyway, the Catholic Church has a tendency to say that things pertain to the New Testament, when it very may well not be. (i.e., the Church of the Holy Seplecure. We don't know if that is really where Jesus was crucified, but Catholics are certain of it.) I guess it's human nature to try to find significance in things they find though.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Gday,

Originally posted by Thill
Some of You might find this interesting , I found an article about this on my local news portal , but found also an English one .

news.softpedia.com...

'Archaeologists have unearthed a stone sarcophagus believed to contain the remains of the Apostle Paul beneath Rome's second largest basilica, St Paul Outside-the-Walls (the first is St Peter).
The interior of the sarcophagus has not yet been investigated.
The sarcophagus dates from AD390, '

So,
it is merely BELIEVED to contain Paul's remains
it has NOT been OPENED,
it dates to CENTURIES after Paul.

But you say -
Paul's remains have been found ?!

Did you think people would actually believe that?

K.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Kapyong

well any discrepancies are..uh............. miracles!!! you just proved he really WAS a saint!

yeah this is sain paul the way the ark of the covenant was revealed

[edit on 28-6-2009 by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Seems it’s been the tradition spot since Constantine. Filippi said his team had found a Roman sarcophagus "exactly underneath the epigraph Paulo Apostolo Mart (Paul the Apostle and Martyr) at the base of the cathedral's main altar," reported ANSA. (From www.catholicnewsagency.com...)

But, like Octomom said, how would we know?

en.wikipedia.org...
The basilica was founded by the Roman Emperor Constantine I over the burial place of Saint Paul, where it was said that, after the Apostle's execution, his followers erected a memorial, called a cella memoriae, over his grave. This first edifice was expanded under Valentinian I.

Wonder if Constantine did it for his mother, Helena? She was big into relics. She found the three crosses (and of course a miracle revealed which of the three was the True Cross), the nails, the world's only pieces of the rope to which Jesus was tied with on the Cross and his Holy Tunic.
(Which is a new one on me) As to the cross, so many churches claimed to possess a piece that there’s probably enough out there to build a small house.

On a related note:
www.telegraph.co.uk...
'Oldest' image of St Paul discovered
Archaeologists have uncovered a 1,600 year old image of St Paul, the oldest one known of, in a Roman catacomb.

By Nick Pisa in Rome
Published: 5:46PM BST 28 Jun 2009

The fresco, which dates back to the 4th Century AD, was discovered during restoration work at the Catacomb of Saint Thekla but was kept secret for ten days.

During that time experts carefully removed centuries of grime from the fresco with a laser, before the news was officially announced through the Vatican's official newspaper L'Osservatore Romano.

There are more than 40 known Catacombs or underground Christian burial places across Rome and because of their religious significance the Vatican's Pontifical Commission of Sacred Archeology has jurisdiction over them.

A photograph of the icon shows the thin face of a bearded man with large eyes, sunken nose and face on a red background surrounded with a yellow circle – the classic image of St Paul.

The image was found in the Catacomb of St Thekla, close to the Basilica of St Paul Outside the Walls in Rome, which is said to be built on the site where he was buried.

St Thekla was a follower of St Paul who lived in Rome and who was put to death under the Emperor Diocletian at the beginning of the 4th Century and who was subsequently made a saint but little else is known of her.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Well if you trust the people who put up the monuments to plant the right body underneath, then that is enough proof.

You read the inscription and you know.

If you want so sincereley to disbelieve anything someone says. Then you will disbelieve. My question to you is why if you are so negative to anything they say, are you bothering to comment at all?

I do not understand the need to try and pull down the belief systems of others. Is there something you believe in? Do you believe in nothing.

Is there some belief system based upon the annihilation of all belief systems? What is going on here. Help me out with this please, I am genuinely interested, I am not judging anyone. I just cannot help notice the direction of the tides, and am curious about their source.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Science proved it. So it's true. If a evangelicalist develops a formula to time travel, his interest matters not. If it works scientifically, it's still valid.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

if you sincerely WANT TO believe anything someone says you will believe that too.

people are commenting negatively for the same reason i point out why some people's theories are incredibly terrible.

so people think about things in a more rational manner. plus i think it helps prevent group think and it allows people to see sides of an argument they may not have thought of or heard expressed in a good way.

plus what youre asking is for people with different opinions to not talk, which would be censorship.

and almost no one believes in nothing. i find it hard to believe that thats even possible. i dont mean believing something in a metaphysical sense, i mean in the most basic ways.

you cant have a belief system based on the annihilation of belief systems because you would still have a belief system that needs to be destroyed. you can have a mindset where you want to destroy belief systems though.

does that kind of help?

[edit on 28-6-2009 by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Hi Pauli/

A little about Saint Thekla///

quote///
Thecla was born in Iconium of eminent pagan parents.
She was betrothed at the age of eighteen to a young man, at the time that the Apostle Paul came to Iconium with Bamabas to preach the Gospel.

Listening to Paul for three days and nights, Thecla turned utterly to the Christian faith and vowed to live in virginity.
Her mother, seeing that she shunned her betrothed and thought no more of marriage, first talked to her and then beat her and starved her.
Finally, she gave her over to the judges and demanded, wicked mother that she was, that 'Mecla be burned.

The judge threw her into the flames,
but God preserved her unharmed.
Thecla then became a follower of the Apostle Paul, and went with him to Antioch.
Attracted by Thecla's beauty, an elder of the city attempted to take her by force, but Thecla tore herself out of his grasp.
The elder denounced her to the governor as a Christian who was averse to marriage.
The governor condemned her to death and threw her to the wild beasts, but the animals would not touch the body of this holy virgin.
Amazed at this, the governor asked: 'Who are you, and what is the power that you have in you,
that nothing can do you harm?'
Thecia replied: 'I am a servant of the living God.'
Then the governor let her go free,
and she began to preach the Gospel and succeeded in bringing many to the true Faith, among whom was an eminent and honoured widow, Tryphena. After this, St Thecla, with the blessing of the Apostle Paul, withdrew to a solitary place near Seleucia.
She lived a long time there in asceticism, healing the sick with miraculous power and in this way bringing many to Christianity.
The doctors in Seleucia were jealous of her and sent some young men to assault her, hoping that, in losing her virginity, she would lose also her miraculous power.
Saint Thecla fled from these insolent young men and,
when she saw that they would catch her,
prayed to God for help in front of a rock,
and the rock opened and hid the holy maiden and bride of Christ.
This rock was her hiding place and her tomb .
St Chrysostom says of this wonderful Christian heroine and saint: 'I seem to see this blessed virgin going to Christ with virginity in one hand and martyrdom in the other.'
(Source from the Saints of the Early Church -Orthodoxy)

ALSO here~

As Christ Himself prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane,
"And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine,
and I am glorified in them . . . and the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one" (John 17:10 and 22; my emphasis).

Many other scriptural indications of God's overflowing love for His saints, in which His Church seeks to participate through her veneration of them and prayers to them, are given in Psalm 97:10 ("He preserves the souls of His saints"), Psalm 116:15 ("Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints"), Psalm 149:5, 9 ("Let the saints be joyful in glory . . . this honor have all His saints"), Proverbs 2:8 ("He guards the paths of justice, and preserves the way of His saints")Prayer and departed Saints~

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thill

news.softpedia.com...

Edit: hmm wierd that english article seems to be from 2006 but this one is from today (in Polish ).

wiadomosci.onet.pl...

It's from 2006 because that's when the tomb was discovered (or so they claim). I just stumbled on a link on sciencedaily after reading this thread that says they just recently confirmed the age of the bones. Here.

top topics

join