It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon woman who fed bears ousted from home

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Oregon woman who fed bears ousted from home

www.foxnews.com

The 61-year-old Noyes was convicted of harassing wildlife and sentenced Thursday to three years probation.

Lincoln County Circuit Judge Thomas Branford also ordered her to stay away from her home and a seven-mile stretch of Yachats River Road for three years, beginning Aug. 31.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I understand that she should not of fed the bears.However I don't believe that she should have been kicked out of her home for three years.It is still her property and you would think that the probation would be enough to deter her from feeding them again.I know how easy it is to feed something that you think is hungry when it's proably not the best idea to do so.
Is this common practice when one is convicted of feeding certain wild animals?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-6-2009 by dee132423]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Just another example that your property isnt your property.

Share-croppers one and all.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
It's a New World Order!!!

Sorry cant think of anything else to say exept since we don't do anything this is what happens..

We let them go and go and go and go and do whatever tf they want and we don't do anything about it.

Kinda like the flight 93 memorial, if 2 of the 7 property owners don't sign over the deed to their land, the government will take it via eminent domain. This is the world we live in, and this is our consequences for not taking action..

If you don't like it I hear mars can sustain life, take a hike there.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
wow. why would you feed bears?

i think shes better off with this punishment than getting mauled by bears. 'cause that really sucks.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
There was a man that did something similar here's a link:

www.youtube.com...

Here's more if interested:

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 26-6-2009 by Pointman]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I can see slapping her with a hefty fine, if it is true that she has been warned not to do this for years, as she has placed her neighbors in danger.
However i don't see how they have a right to keep her off of her own property. She should appeal that ruling, i can't see how that ruling could possibly be legal.

I thought everyone knew the dangers of feeding bears.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I love it when stupid people ask me "What rights have you lost?" No cruel and unusual punishments... just another Amendment flushed down the toilet.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

I agree the fine would also be right.Hopefully,she will appeal it and get her home back.But,I think most of us understand the courts do what they want and when they want.Maybe it's a really nice piece of property that someone wants to get their hands on.If she is forced to stay out of her home for three years what other choice would she have except to sell it unless she's uber rich and in that case it proably never would of went to court.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dee132423

Maybe it's a really nice piece of property that someone wants to get their hands on.

I was wondering about that same thing myself. Unless it's paid for and she has another house how can she afford to stay someplace else while keeping this one.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

I don't think most people could afford three years out of there home.Not to mention there would have to be upkeep on a vacant home over that span of time.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
What's wrong with feeding the bear??? Our neighbor has been feeding them for 10 years,but before she even moved in the bear were often on our property anyway . It was their home before it was ours.

The problem is, that idiots that can't manage to properly parent their brats move into the area and start complaining that the bear might kill their retarded offspring. If you can't even get your kid to mind you when you say "stay away from the bear" then maybe the gene pool should end there.

In any case there are four houses on our road, two of the four have raised children from toddler age into teens, sharing the property with dozens of bears and their babies every summer and we've never had an issue. We BBQ while the bears play at the picnic table a few feet away, the cubs dig maple and chocolate covered doughnuts.

We've all learned to respect each others boundaries and live together in harmony. It's really simple, respect their space, keep the kids and the dogs from chasing them and all is well.

S&F for the Op

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Isn't she kind of actually making the bears more unlikely to attack humans? I mean if they eat well and dont feel threatened by humans then they should be safer right? Bears aren't stupid creatures and if they live there at the same area anyway I think she might've been doing the neighbourhood a favor.
Maybe my logic is off but if there were bears in my hood I'd feed them

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I think it's much safer when everyone learns to live together. Feeding them seems to help in that they aren't tearing up our trash or rummaging through our garages anymore. Because they've been fed they know we aren't going to hurt them or their babies, if we do walk up on them out in the woods away from the house they aren't afraid and they don't harm us.

There's nothing more awesome in the world than having a momma bear bring her new baby to you to hand feed.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Sundancer

Wow nice story, I live in London uk, so I don't really know about this bear business, it's nice to hear that you can live together in harmony. You got any pics of them? Might be off topic thou.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

I sure do, it'll take some time to fnd them and take them off an old blog
(my hard drive crashed and I lost my pics) and then I'll have to figure out how to post them here but I can probably get it done tonight.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

That sounds nice.

But remember only if you feel like it, there is no rush.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Thanks but I'd love to share and help others to understand that it's all about trust and respect. I have a really awesome shot of hubbys "slow" brother feeding them. That's a beautiful thing.

I only know how to do an external image, but here's the photo I was talking about.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by Sundancer]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Can't wait to see it!

I'm off to sleep now, I'll check this thread out tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Wow…
I can tell there are some city dwellers in this thread.

You don’t feed wild animals because it causes them to associate humans with food, lose their instinctive fear of man, increases the number of encounters, and thereby INCREASES the chance of the animal attacking a human. The same thing applies with gators. Feeding or even messing with a gator is one of the highest fines you can get here in FL, and usually leads to the gator having to be destroyed as well. They have to ban her from the area for long enough to allow the animals to forget that they were being fed there, and to prevent her from thinking its alright to do this again. This would have led to a story about this women being eaten by one of her bears eventually, if the state had not intervened.

If you don’t believe me, just look at what happened to Grizzly Man (Timothy Treadwell)…

Timothy Treadwell spent thirteen summers in Katmai National Park and Preserve, Alaska. Over time, he believed he was trusted by the bears, who would allow him to approach them, and sometimes even touch them. Treadwell was repeatedly warned by park officials that his interaction with the bears was unsafe to both him and to the bears.

In 2003, at the end of his thirteenth visit, he and his girlfriend Amie Huguenard were attacked, killed, and partially eaten by a bear.

Experts say Treadwell was an example of how not to behave around these animals.
Chuck Bartlebaugh, executive director of the Center for Wildlife Information, based in Missoula, Montana, describes Treadwell, a self-styled "kind warrior," as "irresponsible." Though he had a "great heart" and a "loving personality," Bartlebaugh said, Treadwell never should have done what he did.
Bartlebaugh, who advised Treadwell on his conduct around wild bears, said, "Tim agreed with us and the superintendent of Katmai National Park to no longer approach, stress, or harass the bears. But he misled [us]."

Pretty much anyone who has spent any time in the wilderness can tell you, you don’t feed or harass the bears.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join