It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reminder : ATS Is A Family Friendly Site

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
We have a lot of members who are under the age of 18 here. Also I'm sure some of the guys and most of the ladies we have posting here don't really want to read the profanity.

So what if they are under 18? It's not like they never heard curse words in there lives right?

But hey I do understand that you guys want to keep the forum formal and proffesional, but saying that there are young people here isn't the good way to tell us to clean our mouths.

Sometimes using curse words is a good way to express your anger, and staying formal loses its impact pretty quick. Its being formal and politicly correct that turned us into slaves.

anyway sorry for the rant.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by colloredbrothers
Sometimes using curse words is a good way to express your anger, and staying formal loses its impact pretty quick.

A civil response is by far more respected by rational, thinking people. Cursing gains nothing.

Its being formal and politicly correct that turned us into slaves.

How is not swearing on ATS making you a "slave"?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Sometimes using curse words is a good way to express your anger, and staying formal loses its impact pretty quick.

A civil response is by far more respected by rational, thinking people. Cursing gains nothing.

Its being formal and politicly correct that turned us into slaves.

How is not swearing on ATS making you a "slave"?

Cursing gives emotion to a post, I'm not saying we should all curse every single line we write but it has its own charme. If diplomacy would be the way people would listen then we wouldn't be in these situations.

Not swearing ATS doesn't make you a slave, but being passive turned us into ones. What do you think would be the more effective: fighting a revolution or being diplomatic and trying to change the regimes stance?

It might seem unrelated but it's not its all about mentality, sometimes you just have to get mad! and the subjects being discussed here on ATS definitly get me mad sometimes! Any how, I'm not a passionat curser you can track my posts and see that. I'm just stating what I believe.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Cursing gives emotion to a post, I'm not saying we should all curse every single line we write but it has its own charme.

Yes it would if you work in a steel mill, the military or in a correctional institution as I do. ATS isn't one of those venues.

Not swearing ATS doesn't make you a slave, but being passive turned us into ones. What do you think would be the more effective: fighting a revolution or being diplomatic and trying to change the regimes stance?

ATS isn't an avenue for political revolution. Why try to make it so?

It might seem unrelated but it's not its all about mentality, sometimes you just have to get mad! and the subjects being discussed here on ATS definitly get me mad sometimes!

Nothing wrong with being "mad". Most of us are at some point but responding with less than civil responses will basically make you look, well, "less civil". Not something I would want to project.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasilis Azoth
This is an honest question.

Can't we just have profanity filters that just replace obscenities with "*"s?

I know I have seen other forums that do this.

There's a filter already in place and it works quite well for most known and recognized words, terms and/or phrases. Unfortunately, that filter will never prove a catch-all for such vulgarities or obscenities, especially given the global membership of ATS and the Many varied offensive terms and inferences inherent to specific languages or locales.

In the end, it would seem more the need for members to moderate themselves, their posts, and the language used therein..

Whether you have any or not, it would seem best that each and every merely take the time to consider if you would want you child reading/seeing such... Prior to posting.

Less load on the servers/filter AND less time and resources for staff to have to review, consider or edit such.

A win-win for all. (?)

That doesn't just go for the profanity or censor circumventions, but also for the posting of gore-filled and/or Graphic content as well... lest members find themselves unable to access the site from work, school, university, etc.

While we, as members, may not be in control of that which is filtered by such Net Nannie-type services, we Most Certainly Are in direct control over that which is posted to the boards.

YOU are responsible for your own posts

A review of the following should clear the air for Anyone with regards what's kosher and what's not...

ATS Terms & Conditions

$.02

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I can see where the mods are coming from with this thread but did you guys ask yourself what this will really do to curb the foul language?

In my opinion it's not going to stop anyone from using curse words because the people who already use them on a regular bases are not going to stop.

If you really wanted change you would ban members who contribute less than fit family material to the site.

Or here is an even better idea, put a filter on posts so that the message can be given but it will be "family friendly" lol.

I really don't get all the hubbub about curse words. They are words for cripes sake.

Lastly ATS a family friendly site? Hahaha that's a laugh I wouldn't let kids get anywhere near this site.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
So no one has an answer for me?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Allow me to interject another section of our beloved terms and Conditions which I believe are pertinent to the discussion-

Terms & Conditions Summary: The below specific and itemized rules not withstanding, all members are expected to participate with the same common every-day social graces used in civilized mixed company. Our desire is to foster an environment of civil decorum that enables our members to discuss highly provocative and intensely speculative topics without concern over personal attacks or insults.

Civility and decorum. The ability to have a serious discussion about topics which interest us without having to dodge the garbage you find on many other sites. There are numberless forums you can go to which have virtually no requirements for civility and decorum. I'm very pleased we strive to maintain an atmosphere free of hostility and pointless invective.

I'm afraid it is far too easy for this rule to be broken. The anon nature of the net allows many to say things they'd never say in public or to someone's face.
I'm all for keeping the site high quality, and you guys have a hard job.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
none of these under 18 year olds have never seen or uttered anything bad . . . lol

My 13 year old who goes by the name of Cookie Doodle at this site, doesn't cuss.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

Why not just refrain from using any form of a curse word?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by xxpigxx
none of these under 18 year olds have never seen or uttered anything bad . . . lol

My 13 year old who goes by the name of Cookie Doodle at this site, doesn't cuss.

i love it! that name is sweet!
to answer the question though...yeah they could hear those words or say them, or read them elsewhere..doesn't mean we cannot maintain standards here that they don't need to read or type them.
i can curse my butt off..but i don't do it here. keeps my mind creative to be able to get a point across without swearing or name calling.
yeah we all get frustrated, have off days...but swearing doesn't fix it...and if anything, it leads to arguments , warnings, and bannings.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I am not talking about me . . . though I do let a word slip every once in awhile.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Often it's not exactly what you say, but how you say it. Profanity has degrees, and one must admit, at times, a simple word or phrase that can best be described as "colorful" can make the point like no other.

Mild profanity at times can add a bit of "flavor" to the conversation, and more clearly convey the intent of the writer.

It would be an ideal world if these words never existed. But they do.

I respect the Mods and SuperMods for policing the site and keeping it tolerable. Otherwise, instead of someone calling me *&$#*%, they'd be calling me $#!^$%*^$%.

And I don't like that last one.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Self censoring is a good thing when writing threads. You can get your poi...

aww I can't even finish that sentence [snip] that! These kids today swear enough to make a [snip][snip] sailor blush. I mean for [snip] sake these "innocent" [snip] children are more profane than you our I could ever [snip]

I mean those dirty [snip][snip][snip][snip][snip][snip] with a spoon [snip][snip][snip] [snip] [snip] sideways [snip] [snip] [snip] [snip] [snip] [snip] [snip] [snip][snip] [snip] [snip] [snip] [snip] [snip] [snip] [snip] [snip] [snip] [snip] [snip][snip][snip][snip][snip] bilge rats [snip] [snip] [snip] [snip] and a MILKSHAKE![snip] [snip] [snip] [snip] with hot glue!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Profanity is the last resort of an ignorant man.

Wish I knew who said it first, but there's truth in it. There's colourful language and there's profanity and the scale is pretty wide too. At one end there's the mild stuff grandma used to say when she cut her finger chopping brocolli and, on the other end is the modern tendency to the common sexually explicit biological and racist slang which seems to be spreading all over.

Thing is, as it has already been pointed out, it's against the T&C's of this website and, if you're posting here, you agreed to abide by them. If you clicked 'Accept', you agreed! Simple as that. Had you clicked otherwise, you'd be a reader, not a poster.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I like the warnings for circumventing the swear word filter. I've noticed that happening much more often.

I agree.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

... with a spoon ...
THANK you for demonstrating how to get your ya-yas out without breaking the T&C
Something about the spoon phrase that is somehow better than the curse words. Perfect.

I've been known to loose my cool and say [expletive]. yep, and that's exactly how I type it. I'm trying to do better. No need for that kind of talk here.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I agree with this policy on ATS. It is one of the things about ATS that puts it a couple notches higher in credibility than other similar sites.

When you can articulate a thought without the use of vulgarity, and profanity, people might actually take you seriously.

Credibility is key in many of the topics that are discussed here.

Also I think that this a good policy, because I would imagine there are quite a few minors that read this site. It would be really crappy if a kid was reading something here, and his parents saw something explicit on the site they didn't like, causing them to believe that we have a low class operation here. Also they could ban their kid from coming here, which would be a damper on his/her education.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

I think the Family friendly thing meant we dont tell our children we will die in 2012, Beware of Aliens, 911 was an inside job, The global economy is destroyed, dont trust your government, FEMA coffins, mandatory servitude, God bashing on a daily basis, etc, etc.

I would scare the daylights out of my kids if they saw ATS. The dont have the resoning that we do.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
We should modify the filter so instead of curse words appearing, ..... we get to see carebears !!!

.... really though, if anyone remember elementary school. Nothing on here can compare to what kids are already hearing. I dont think shielding a child from anything helps them mature, ... just delays them. In the end its up to the parent to apply their own standards for decorum. ..... as it seems some of you do ....... applaud.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join