It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon approves creation of cyber command

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Pentagon approves creation of cyber command

www.reuters.com

WASHINGTON, June 23 (Reuters) - The Pentagon will create a Cyber Command to oversee the U.S. military's efforts to protect its computer networks and operate in cyberspace, under an order signed by Defense Secretary Robert Gates on Tuesday.

The new headquarters, likely to be based at Fort Meade, Maryland, outside Washington, D.C., will be responsible for defending U.S. military systems but not other U.S. government or private networks, Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said.

Asked if the command would be capable of offensive operations as well as protecting the Department of Defense, Whit
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
No private or other government networks.

I love how they emphasized that like 5 times to make us think that this cyber command will only work for the military.

Let's see what this means, they hire a bunch of elite hackers to oversee the military and are capable of shutting down part of the internet?

Wait... I think we had hackers, and they didn't do crap to protect the systems in the U.S.. All they did was hack other countries' networks.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/24/2009 by die_another_day]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Well... there goes our freedom to browse the internet as we see fit. Has anybody read up on Australia's whole internet debauchery? I bet most of those people can't even view over 50% of the net. S&F though good find.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The internet should become a democratic institution where the masses can decide on what they should be able to view and block.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The US Gov needs to protect its computers. It is a good idea I think. It is not even a smart move, just one that needs to be done.

Cyber terrorism and cyber war can be very damaging to any Gov. that does not protect itself.

Of course people will get paranoid and think thier every move online is being watched and sensored, but the reality is that a lot of damage can be done if there is no protection to power grids or Gov computers that are online.

Just my thoughts.

new topics

top topics

join