It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FTC plans to monitor blogs for claims, payments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Back to Google News FTC plans to monitor blogs for claims, payments

www.google.com

What some fail to realize, though, is that such reviews can be tainted: Many bloggers have accepted perks such as free laptops, trips to Europe, $500 gift cards or even thousands of dollars for a 200-word post. Bloggers vary in how they disclose such freebies, if they do so at all.

The practice has grown to the degree that the Federal Trade Commission is paying attention. New guidelines, expected to be approved late this summer with possible modifications, would clarify that the agency can go a
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT: why does my topic title say back to google news?

[edit on 22-6-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
And we have a free market?

So now you can't say what you want on a blog about what you bought without the government investigating you? This is completely ridiculous. Now, we don't not just have a free market... but now the government has the power to go after bloggers... who make these claims... it's up to you to believe them or not... and now the government is going to be monitoring one more place and stifling the ability for people to say what they want to say... it's not up for the government to go after them.

Libel only applies to people. I mean... this is just ridiculous. It just gives the government more powerful over the blogosphere. Just wait until they get more power with regulating what content is in blogs... and attack them for making claims which they deem are false...

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Where the heck are these blogs that people get paid for?

That's what I want to know, I could spew out 200 words of bull [snip] in my freaking sleep!

The link to your article doesn't work. but that doesn't bug me.

Anywho, I don't understand why the FTC has anything to do with what free [snip] companies give away. Not their problem. The IRS (maybe if the value of the "gifts" is more than x amount)

join