It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing volcano photo shows shock wave

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

volcanoes at nagasaki and hiroshima?

what are you talking about there were no volcanic eruptions at those cities

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der

Originally posted by Curious and Concerned
I've seen pictures and video years ago showing lightning caused by volcanic plumes. It's been a well known fact that eruptions can cause lightning, or was that just me?

Or was this pic from years ago, and they're only just releasing the article now.
Nasa up to their usual tricks again

Yeah same thing here, seen pics of lightning in ash clouds for years, one eruption at Mt Ruapehu here in New Zealand in I think 95 had some spectacular lighting shots.

No doubt our good ol' 'friends' at NASA drip feeding us babies...

That was one of the first which came to my mind haha. I was living in Taupo during the 95/96 eruptions and saw plenty of amateur pics from my school teacher, and she had caught what appeared to be lightning, but wasn't really conclusive. But I definitely remember seeing other pics with lightning emerging from the ash plume, during those eruptions, and I'm sure there's plenty more from other volcanoes.

I guess the statement "Volcano plumes are so chaotic that they produce lightning, as revealed in pictures for the first time earlier this year" was a little misleading. As Pauligirl pointed out, they must have meant " as revealed by using a 'Lightning Mapping Array' for the first time...

Still a cool pic though

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
A massive volcanic eruption can blast huge clouds of ash and gases into the atmosphere. Millions of tonnes of sulfur dioxide gas may reach the upper atmosphere (the stratosphere). There, the sulfur dioxide transforms into tiny particles of sulfuric acid, known as aerosol. The particles reflect energy from the sun back into space, preventing some of the sun's rays from heating the Earth
www.cmar.csiro.au...

crossed eyed version

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
try this: Put on a pair of red-blue stereo glasses and behold the eruption in 3D. The anaglyph was created by graphic artist Patrick Vantuyne of Belgium. No stereo glasses? A cross-eyed version is also available.

crossed eyed version

3d version

[edit on 24-6-2009 by meaguire]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
All of these earthquakes and volcanoes sure seem to coincide with the recent increase in solar activity ... Just sayin'..

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join