It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing for 50 years - US nuclear bomb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Missing for 50 years - US nuclear bomb

news.bbc.co.uk

More than 50 years after a 7,600lb (3,500kg) nuclear bomb was dropped in US waters following a mid-air military collision, the question of whether the missing weapon still poses a threat remains.
In his own mind, retired 87-year-old Colonel Howard Richardson is a hero responsible for one of the most extraordinary displays of aeronautic skill in the history of the US Air Force.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

His view carries a lot of weight and he has a large number of supporters - including the Air Force itself which honoured his feat with a Distinguished Flying Cross.
But to others, he is little short of a villain: the man who 50 years ago dropped a nuclear bomb in US waters, a bomb nobody has been able to find and make safe.
'Top-secret flight'
Shortly after midnight on 5 February 1958, Howard Richardson was on a top-secret training flight for the US Strategic Air Command.
It was the height of the Cold War and the young Major Richardson's mission was to practise long-distance flights in his B-47 bomber in case he was ordered to fly from Homestead Air Force Base in Florida to any one of the targets the US had identified in Russia.

The training was to be as realistic as possible, so on board was a single massive H-bomb - the nuclear weapon he might one day be instructed to drop to start World War III.

So during that period while we were playing in our backyard's or washing the car or perhaps having a bbq with neighbors, at 38,000 feet we had the grim reaper who was casually waiting for an incident like this. Its very assuring that we have nukes flying above our heads at any given time, it does create a sense of security, doesn't it ?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Hi Tristar,

That bomb should be very easy to locate if they know the approximate location of the bomb.

First of all, radiation should be coming off of it. Secondly, it's shielded by metal making it easier to locate. Detection of both would make it highly detectable and because it's in an area where there is low radiation back ground it would be detectable from maybe a mile or so away. It's very hard to believe that something like this has not been recovered already.

Good find my friend. I will keep it in my files.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
This story has fascinated me for some and I heard of it before. I think the pilot was a hero and made a fine split second decision to save the lives of his crew. However, where is that hydrogen bomb if it is indeed off the coast of Savannah, GA? To my understanding the Navy had and extensive recovery operation but was unable to pinpoint the whereabouts of the said explosive device.

So I have questions did the Russians find it or is it in the hands of terrorists? Or will this be the rumored false flag event many think is around the corner? I mean after 50 years and all the technological advances in sonar and deep sea operations by the Navy --- it just baffles me that it hasn't been recovered yet. Oh yeah, good article Tristar!

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
So during that period while we were playing in our backyard's or washing the car or perhaps having a bbq with neighbors, at 38,000 feet we had the grim reaper who was casually waiting for an incident like this. Its very assuring that we have nukes flying above our heads at any given time, it does create a sense of security, doesn't it ?

LOL!!, I guess I'm just glad its US flying over our head with nukes as opposed to say, any of the Governments of that time who would have us fall.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
By the way, i hope it is not too off-topic:
Do nuclear warheads/bombs have expiry date? I mean not half-life of radioactive material, but bomb as a complex. Can it be operational streight away after decades of storage (not on see bed or other extreme examples, but normal military storage shelf life).

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
By the way, i hope it is not too off-topic:
Do nuclear warheads/bombs have expiry date? I mean not half-life of radioactive material, but bomb as a complex. Can it be operational streight away after decades of storage (not on see bed or other extreme examples, but normal military storage shelf life).

Hey Zero, I found some info regarding the shelf-life of nuclear weapons in the US arsenal. In the article below, the nuclear weapons on hand have a scheduled shelf of 20-25 years, however, they are currently exploring ways to extend the lives of nuclear weapons at present. Anyway, read the article and I think it will clear up some of your questions.

www.lanl.gov...

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

The rest of the story:

Colonel Richardson is adamant that it is incapable of a nuclear explosion because it lacks the vital plutonium trigger.

I do believe this.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Sweet, Al queda say they would use a nuke on U.s. if they had it and Nkorea wanna nuke U.s.and missing Nukes that is american ?

Ahhh think I saw that movie....

False Flag nuke inbound ???

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
reply to post by tristar

The rest of the story:

Colonel Richardson is adamant that it is incapable of a nuclear explosion because it lacks the vital plutonium trigger.

I do believe this.

I saw that in the article, so in retrospect, his training mission involved an in-operable nuclear device? However, in the event that the weapon falls in the wrong hands; isn't reasonable to assume that someone with the nuclear science know-how can create the plutonium trigger to use in the bomb?

[edit on 22-6-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Hi Tristar,

You are right Tristar, this Hydrogen Bomb is still missing. It shouldn't be hard to find.

There is also one missing off of the coast of Japan, complete with plane and pilot.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by RussianScientists]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

I think you are confusing the following incident:
Nuclear Mishap in Goldsboro North Carolina 1961 - bomb found
ATS Link

On Tuesday, 24 January 1961, at about 12:30 a.m., two hydrogen bombs fell to earth near the tiny farming village of Faro, NC.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

For more info:

Here is a link to the known missing US nuclear weapons:
Link

[edit on 22/6/2009 by deltaalphanovember]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51

I saw that in the article, so in retrospect, his training mission involved an in-operable nuclear device? However, in the event that the weapon falls in the wrongs; isn't reasonable to assume that someone with the nuclear science know-how can create the plutonium trigger to use in the bomb?

Assuming that these "others" got to the site before the U.S. government and recovered the bomb and assuming that these "others" have or can get the required plutonium (which in and of itself is very hard to come by), yes I suppose they could have assembled a working bomb. However, they would have done that immediately don't you think?

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Thanks deltaalphanovember for posting the list of known Broken Arrows prior to 1964. You beat me to it!

The media is rather sensationalist about our Broken Arrows. They aren't lost in the respect that we don't know where they are, they are lost in the respect that they are not in our immediate possession. Most of the Broken Arrows are resting in locations that are nigh impossible to reach, although we have known their precise locations for decades.

You could be certain that if someone else tried retrieving any of these Broken Arrows other than the US Gov. or one of their Contractors, that they would be all over it before they even got them on board their ship! Especially since these are early Hydrogen Bombs, they do not have a lot of shielding like more modern devices. The moment they were moved, Satellites would pick them up and alarms would be going off all over the place in the Pentagon.

More modern devices, because of these early Broken Arrows, have location beacons built into them along with self-destruct sequences that can detonate them safely remotely while they are unarmed.

We really should be more concerned about the missing weapons-grade Plutonium that was never recovered after the arrest of Wilhelm Reich. The government still claims to have no idea how he got it, and certainly have no idea where he hid it.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
People are often to inconsiderate and dismissive of inanimate objects.

This bomb has long left the scene where it was originally dropped and been leading a productive and evidently fun life on the international jet set party circuit ever since as evidenced by numerous gossip columns and page threes around the world.

Here are some experts of the bomb’s fun life:

“At first it looked like the gala would end early until Hilda showed up in a dress that was the bomb!”

“Wolfgang’s truffle soufflé was the bomb!”

“The cake at the bachelor party turned out to be the bomb!”

“The warm up act was only mediocre but the headline group’s performance was the bomb!”

Clearly the ‘bomb’ was distressed by it’s military life and care and has joined the espionage world becoming a master of disguises and never wasting an opportunity to hobnob with the rich and famous and revelers of every stripe everywhere!

Interviewed recently in Istanbul by Entertainment Tonight the bomb had this to say “No, I sure don’t want to go back! The military was a very repressive and dull organization to work for. Terrible food, too many rules, unflattering uniforms, and to much routine, sure now that I am a hit on the international party scene they want me back, but where were they in my early years when I was struggling to make my way in the world as a discarded 3 ton hydrogen bomb? No, where that’s where, I am not going back!”

There you have it; the bomb is doing just fine!

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
It is hard to believe that they cant find it.Ive heard speculation that it was buried under sediment but dont know if that would matter.Maybe without the trigger it may be too dangerous to recover(radiation).

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
Thanks deltaalphanovember for posting the list of known Broken Arrows prior to 1964. You beat me to it!

The media is rather sensationalist about our Broken Arrows. They aren't lost in the respect that we don't know where they are, they are lost in the respect that they are not in our immediate possession. Most of the Broken Arrows are resting in locations that are nigh impossible to reach, although we have known their precise locations for decades.

You could be certain that if someone else tried retrieving any of these Broken Arrows other than the US Gov. or one of their Contractors, that they would be all over it before they even got them on board their ship! Especially since these are early Hydrogen Bombs, they do not have a lot of shielding like more modern devices. The moment they were moved, Satellites would pick them up and alarms would be going off all over the place in the Pentagon.

More modern devices, because of these early Broken Arrows, have location beacons built into them along with self-destruct sequences that can detonate them safely remotely while they are unarmed.

We really should be more concerned about the missing weapons-grade Plutonium that was never recovered after the arrest of Wilhelm Reich. The government still claims to have no idea how he got it, and certainly have no idea where he hid it.

Could you summarize the Wilhelm Reich incident and the missing weapons-grade plutonium? Or better yet, do you know of any links about it because I have never heard of the case? It sounds very interesting. Thanks

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

Definately!! and earlier this year the Taliban Chief in Pakistan said "We are preparing a glorious and devastating attack upon Washington DC.. God willing!"

Nuke False Flag inbound we all need to be vigilant!!

also many many hints at Aliens and Robots in music videos,adverts,movies and games!

join