It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S. Walks Out as Sudan Elected to U.N. Rights Body.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The United Nation's filled fourteen (14) vacant seats on its Human Rights Commission based out of Geneva. This commission has been dubbed the UN's main human rights 'watchdog'. Of those seats that were filled, one was filled by the nation of Sudan, which, as of late, has been undergoing scrutiny for the alleged ethnic cleansing that has reportedly been taking place in the country's Darfur province/region. The United States, in protest of this selection, walked out.

U.S. Walks Out as Sudan Elected to U.N. Rights Body

Sudan's delegate immediately shot back that the U.S. delegation was "shedding crocodile tears" and turning a blind eye to atrocities committed by U.S. soldiers in Iraq against civilians as well as against prisoners.

In the past few years, the current Sudan government has been the target of some major criticism, including from the UN's Human Rights Commission, in that it has been accused of supporting the Arab militia that is still currently commiting acts of genocide and other such atrocities as burning down villages, raping and outright slaughtering African Blacks in the Darfur region.

Is this a major credibility test for the United Nation's, especially enlight of reports coming forth reporting the united Nation's own internal and external scandals?

ATSNN Related Discussions:
Leaked U.N. Report Uncovers Sudanese Rape Policy

Other Related Articles:
In Sudan, Militiamen on Horses Uproot a Million
Suffering Sudan

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The HR Commission has always been a major credibility issue for the UN. Just take a look at the countries that have presided over it for the last couple years. It's a joke.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Exactly...its a joke...they seem to give the more corrupt and Non-HR countries the spot...How in the hell does Arafat get the award?....its a running joke i think...

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Small countries like Sudan feel respected by the international community and would tend more to accept foreign help on their issues as well they will make up their mind a bit more about the issues in their country when being responsible for such problem all around the world.

But nobody said everybody is meant to understand world politics and diplomacy

And I still know that Sudan isn't a place to be and more over has some serious problems with their ethnic cleansing.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Jiminy Christmas...

At least the US investigates its own HR violations, and strives not to be the butt end of an HR watch list...there are exceptions of course

Sudan? What's next, Sierra Leone? Inquisition era Spain? United Nations? More and more it is a league of nations.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Found an article mentioning something that must have gone unmentioned in some of the other articles that I have read and missed being mentioned:

But human rights groups, for once in concert with the American right, also condemned Sudan's election.

Outrage over Sudan's human rights role at UN

seekerof

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Group: Bloody Ethnic Cleansing in Sudan

Sudan is waging a bloody campaign of "ethnic cleansing" in the western Darfur region, killing thousands of people and driving more than 1 million more from their homes by bombing villages, shooting men and raping women, a prominent human rights group said Friday.

Human Rights Watch, based in New York, called on the U.N. Security Council, scheduled to meet Friday on the Darfur situation, to step in to help stop the bloodshed and look for evidence of crimes against humanity.

The rights group likened the situation in Darfur to the beginning of the 1994 genocide in Rwanda, when 500,000 people were slaughtered by a government-backed, extremist militia. The international community has been widely criticized for not intervening to stop the bloodshed.

Worthless UN did virtually nothing but talk about the Rwanda genocide and now wants to 'talk' about this with Sudan? Didn't Sudan just get voted into a seat within the UN Human Rights Council?

But hey, those Christians killing 600+ Muslims seems to be the ticket of discussion these days, all the while tens of thousands go unnoticed and unspoken about?

seekerof

Q

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Isn't that kind of like putting a pedophile in charge of a day care center?

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Follow-up, further indicating the UN's hypocrisy and countering what Sudan had to say about the US when it walked out of the voting session:
Report ties Sudan to mass killing

A leading human-rights organization yesterday published the most detailed independent account yet of Sudan's alleged complicity in the "ethnic cleansing" of more than 1 million tribal villagers in Darfur Province and the slaying of thousands more.

The 75-page report, by the New York City-based Human Rights Watch, charges that the Sudanese military, working with Arab militias, has committed massacres and burned villages, towns and mosques as part of a campaign to depopulate large swaths of Sudan's largest province, which has served as a base for rebels.

"The government of Sudan is responsible for 'ethnic cleansing' and crimes against humanity in Darfur," according to the report, based on a 25-day investigation in and around Darfur.

seekerof

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
The Question I pos, why dident anyother nation other than the United States of American Walk out?
Why was our Goverment, the only goverment with the good moral Since to protest this Nononation?
Whats wrong with the Countrys of the world? whos representives are on this Board? do thay not cair about Human rights?

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by Monorprise]

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monorprise
The Question I pos, why dident anyother nation other than the United States of American Walk out.

IMO the UN has become a nothing more than a good ol' boys network. quid pro quo - we put you on this committee or that committee and you support us when certain resolutions are introduced.

Am I mistaken or wasn't Cuba on the HR com at one time?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   

The Question I pos, why dident anyother nation other than the United States of American Walk out?
Why was our Goverment, the only goverment with the good moral Since to protest this Nononation?
Whats wrong with the Countrys of the world? whos representives are on this Board? do thay not cair about Human rights?

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by Monorprise]

apparently not. since it doesnt involved america this time they're turning a blind eye to it. its my only guess.

i wish i knew why noone but america walked out on this one and everyone sat there like bumps on a log. some of which are the same countries that have blasted us for doing thing that are nowhere near as bad as this sudan situation it.

anyone can say what they will of america being a war mongering nation but i think it says a great deal when america walks out on something like this and everyone else doesnt say a damn thing.

i guess noone wanted to walk out with the US thinking they'll proably be thought of as joining the US in something. heavan forbid they would just do the right thing and protest the sudan.

just another example of double standards and hypocrisy in the UN and the interntional community in general.

and people wonder why the UN is laughed at mocked and often ignored.

the UN is a joke. it is bad comedy.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
i think i could possibly be right in what i've said as everyone seemed to skim over this and leave nary a comment after me.

come on now...where's the outrage? where's the decrying of the hypocrisy and double standards of the UN?

where is everyone to question THEIR credibility???

i know we got some eager beavers that do this to the US on a daily basis in several threads a day. too busy?

anyway, bump for everyone to see.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
wow only 12 replies (now to be 13) and over 900 views...i guess everyone is just speechless?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
i guess everyone is just speechless?

Im not, I just agree with whats already been said.

Its too true that the UN is an impotent joke, and we could point this out to every ignoramus who tries to say its not but in the end we would get nowhere.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
i guess everyone is just speechless?

Im not, I just agree with whats already been said.

Its too true that the UN is an impotent joke, and we could point this out to every ignoramus who tries to say its not but in the end we would get nowhere.

this being what it is, why would we want our Forrean Polocy or polocy in general on Security dictated or in anyway Controled by the UN? if the UN is a joke, in these matter does it really make sence to let them Control our Forrean Polocys as Sentator Kerry Insist?

[edit on 20-6-2004 by Monorprise]

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   

this being what it is, why would we want our Forrean Polocy or polocy in general on Security dictated or in anyway Controled by the UN? if the UN is a joke, in these matter does it really make sence to let them Control our Forrean Polocys as Sentator Kerry Insist?

I never said that I supported John Kerry's stance on the UN. In my opinion we should cut out our portion of the funding (over 50%) and let them go and make some resolution condemning our actions. Not like it will matter because without or money they will probably write it out on a cocktail napkin.

top topics

join