It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time travel truly not possible for humans?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I have been reading a lot about time travel, about 3rd density (us humans) and that the REASON why we were here (3rd density aka earth) because in THIS LIFE, we are meant to learn RIGHT FROM WRONG.
So i started to think about time travel. And if it IS possible for a human. I think that we will be able to achieve time travel...however i think we will never BE ABLE to change anything in the past.

Let me explain.

We are on this density (3rd) to learn RIGHT from WRONG. Alot of people, scientists, philosophers, even MOVIES say...we have POWER OF CHOICE...we can CHOOSE...and thats what makes us so amazing...that we have CHOICE, and we know RIGHT FROM WRONG.

now lets say we go back to the past...and we want to go back when AMERICA dropped the atomic bomb on Japan. It would be an amazing thing to change right? BUT...would the same thing (in another time) HAVE to occur? meaning...we can change the PHYSICAL thing it did to reality (aka dropping bomb and killing millions)
BUT...now...our mind comes into play....we LEARNED right from wrong...we learned WE CAN NOT DROP NUKES, because it would be the end of us...it would be a nuke war and the planet would just die. Therefore we LEARNED a lesson that it COULD NOT happen...
so with that said...a lesson was learned in our conciseness NOT physically...therefore would the event HAVE TO TAKE PLACE even if it wasn't japan but another place, BECAUSE the variable changed. I dont think we can change our right and wrong lesson...because without us knowing what it did to the people who were nuked...the aftermath of radiation...understanding that we would most likely kill everything if we DID drop another....then we would NEVER know the consequences...and shall we say, "history would repeat itself"
does this make sense?
because we didnt learn that lesson...it would HAVE TO HAPPEN...cause we didnt know UNDERSTAND the impact it would have on us.

i certainly thing it would work for every instance...try to go back and save a family member...but would they be FORCED to die by time...or our consequences...
maybe im just babbling on, but what do you think?

Mod edit- for all capped title

[edit on 21-6-2009 by asala]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
McKenna, a sorta of kinda theorist of histry and time was always saying it was sure that by 2012 we will activate the first time machine.
But I don't think travelling in the past is possible. Visitors will be able to travel in the past as soon as we activate the first time machine but no earlier than that year.
Future is better!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Matteo

Yes i agree, let the past lie and look to the future

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelhernsin

Funny you mention this.

I just watched "Memento" again today and it brought up this very point indirectly. It is a movie about a guy who suffers from brain damage that makes him not be able to retain short term memory. You could talk to him and as soon as he is not concentrating on you, he instantly forgets who you are.

The moral of the story was, without time, one can't heal and learn. He doesn't know time past a few minutes. He says "It's like waking up confused. He remembers everything before the accident. It's not like amnesia. He was looking for the murderer of his wife...and had to remember everything with polariods and tatoos of the things he needs to remember....

Guy Pierce, Carrie Moss....good movie.

Anyway, I believe we can time travel. We are doing it right now. Maybe people just need to reconsider what the transportation actually is. Physical time travel I don't believe is possible, with out stopping time for the traveler. For instance, if the traveler were to go backwards, what would stop the traveler from going backwards also. Same forward. The only way someone could physically travel would be to encase themselves in something that wouldn't degenerate with the travel if that makes sense?

Peace

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
He have no true way of know if it is or if it is not possible to time travel.

This is a wait and see type of situation.

We can say its not possible for the technology that we have. True

Can we say the same for the future no. We have no way of going to the future so we can not validate this question with a yes or no answer.

If time travel was possible they would have stopped X, X,X and X events from happening. Not so why would they we do not know what good could have happen from a bad event same as a good event could turn bad or maybe they just dont care about said event.

The only we any person would know the answer to this question is to life forever and be at every single spot at the same time and without doing those the answer will always be we dont know

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand

Funny you mention this.

I just watched "Memento" again today and it brought up this very point indirectly. It is a movie about a guy who suffers from brain damage that makes him not be able to retain short term memory. You could talk to him and as soon as he is not concentrating on you, he instantly forgets who you are.

The moral of the story was, without time, one can't heal and learn. He doesn't know time past a few minutes. He says "It's like waking up confused. He remembers everything before the accident. It's not like amnesia. He was looking for the murderer of his wife...and had to remember everything with polariods and tatoos of the things he needs to remember....

Guy Pierce, Carrie Moss....good movie.

Anyway, I believe we can time travel. We are doing it right now. Maybe people just need to reconsider what the transportation actually is. Physical time travel I don't believe is possible, with out stopping time for the traveler. For instance, if the traveler were to go backwards, what would stop the traveler from going backwards also. Same forward. The only way someone could physically travel would be to encase themselves in something that wouldn't degenerate with the travel if that makes sense?

Peace

great point, im most def. gonna have to check that movie out.
yea...i think its hard for us humans now to understand there is MUCH MUCH MUCH more to US, than this physical body we have...
theres this article/forum i was reading about the conciseness and un-conciseness...how when we see something INSTANTLY we know what we like, we know our feelings towards it etc. he said THAT is our REAL SELVES...that is our REAL true nature...make sense? lol

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

The OP is stating the Grandfather Paradox

en.wikipedia.org...

The concept of parallel universes however, makes such paradox impossible, unfortunately, you may never be able go back to the Universe you left. An alternate reality you saved the day and everyone lived happily ever after, and the reality you left where your loved ones are crying for leaving them behind and never coming back.. Of course it's just a theory.

Nothing is certain with things we haven't done yet. But that's what living is all about, uncertainty!! If you think your life is so certain, look around, you might just be doing the same thing everybody else is doing!!

[edit on 21-6-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk

The OP is stating the Grandfather Paradox

en.wikipedia.org...

The concept of parallel universes however, makes such paradox impossible, unfortunately, you may never be able go back to the Universe you left. An alternate reality you saved the day and everyone lived happily ever after, and the reality you left where your loved ones are crying for leaving them behind and never coming back.. Of course it's just a theory.

Nothing is certain with things we haven't done yet. But that's what living is all about, uncertainty!! If you think your life is so certain, look around, you might just be doing the same thing everybody else is doing!!

[edit on 21-6-2009 by ahnggk]

i read the news, and think about EVERYTHING IN THIS WORLD that could potentially end your life...pretty much EVERYTHING...and it makes u think how lucky you are to survive lol
really think about it
EVERYTHING can kill and hurt u SOME HOW
lol

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Who else would time travel be possible.
The Creator set the stone and its one way.
We pile the stones to make buildings.

Time travel is a pack of lies that perhaps we can't determine due
to lack of observation.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
i think the pyramids were the first machine that could view into the past and future. not time travel persey, but a way to view. the info has been lost and looted over the years but its possible.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeetontheconspiracy
i think the pyramids were the first machine that could view into the past and future. not time travel persey, but a way to view. the info has been lost and looted over the years but its possible.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

That would be hidden knowledge or occult knowledge.
The only physical determinations have been by gravity scientists
like Archamedies ending with Newton and electrical scientists
starting with Ben Franklin and ending with Tesla.

Much of the electrical findings of Tesla has been occulted of hidden.
It pays to do such. More than anything since Newton or Tesla.

To view into the past in one's own mind is done by many in times of stress.
Perhaps our lives will be shown on the big screen in the hear after.
Thus every one will be a star.
And no paparazzi perhaps.

But the saying "on Earth as it is in Heaven" doesn't help does it.

[edit on 6/22/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Time travel is not possible. If you go back in time and kill your grandfather then you were never created then you never could have killed him.

Its an easy-to-understand, basic concept of a paradox.

Now, since this is already known, let me move on to why humans are amazing. It is not our ability to choose right and wrong. A dog can do that. I can prove it, my dog knows not to poop in the house. It knows outside is the only place to poop. It knows that if it poops inside, it will be punished. It has been taught right from wrong.

You might combat this by saying well the dog learned, we naturally have that ability. That would be incorrect. This is nature versus nuture, this isn't something biological, this is only something that we can learn.

What makes humans unique is our ability to comprehend situations and outcomes and the use of tools to make tasks easier to complete.

When you mention stopping the bombing of Japan, then ask if something else in another time would HAVE to change? Its obvious that the answer would be yes, because think of how many books and articles have been published talking about the bombings since the 1940s... hundreds.

Anyway, the biggest flaw in your appeal is that right and wrong are a human concept, like time, and only in the eye of the beholder.

For example: Personally, I feel that killing a cow so that I can enjoy a steak is RIGHT, but the folks over at PETA think such action is WRONG.

Edit to add:

When we bombed Japan's cities, we were merciful to them. We could've killed millions more had we dropped just ONE bomb on Tokyo.

Now that you understand that factoid, did we do right or wrong?

[edit on 6/22/2009 by Schmidt1989]

top topics

join