It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Important! IRS truly making mistakes? Or randomly auditing/scamming americans? I was involved!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Greetings fellow ATS Members.

This is an important matter that I have been researching profusely on the internet regarding my Federal Income Tax Return that was filed and sent to me back in May. I have not found sufficient information on it, and I am overall just confused on HOW or WHY this is happening, what EXACTLY are the consequences and WHY does the notice have such inconsistency, and WHY me?

Okay, I'll start with the background and quickly move into the story and detail.

I am 20 years old, and I had filed and received Federal tax returns with no problems before. So this year, like others I filed the unconstitutional piece of garbage through an accountant who I have used the past 2 years as well, and I'm pretty much positive there was NO mistakes that he had made on it, however I'm no expert of course.. My family also uses the same accountant and they did not experience the problem I did nor have they in the past.

SO - after it was filed, I waited patiently for my return to come. It did. The amount I was supposed to receive was $943. However, I did not receive that amount, instead I received over that amount! nearly 500 dollars! $1412.00.

I have NOT cashed the check yet, it has an expiration date of one-year.

In the same envelope with my income tax was Notice 54 (Rev. January 2000).
Here is a picture of the notice.

The notice precisely reads:
--------------------
About your Refund Check ...
--------------------
" The amount of the enclosed refund check is different from the amount shown on your return. You should be receiving a notice in a few days that explains why the amount of the check is different and what additional information, if any, you may need to provide to the Internal Revenue Service. The notice will explain how to contact the internal revenue service if you need to provide additional information or have questions about the notice. Please do not call us until you receive the notice.

If you are certain that the amount of the refund check is too high, please return the original check to the Internal Revenue Service where you filed your tax return with a letter explaining the reasons why the amount is too high, and we will send you the correct amount, If you do not return the check, you may owe interest. "
At the bottom there is listed a catalog number of 45463V.

Now this notice already seems weird.. a list of what pops in my head when I read this now..

1. They know my amount is wrong?? Well why did they send it out like this?? Well, I found personal accounts on the web of people also receiving this notice and their refund amount being completely correct. So, does that mean it was mistakenly put inside their envelope??

2. I should receive something in the mail in a few days?? Well its now June 20th and I HAVE NOT received anything else in the mail.

3. Additional information? What more could they need?

4. Do not call until I receive the notice?? I'm already disabled from cashing my check at fear of having to pay a high interest rate + the difference, haven't received anything in the mail, and I'm not supposed to call?

5. Why is there no phone number or internet website to furthermore explain why my amount is wrong and why I am receiving this notice?

These notices are present in many federal income tax envelopes and can involve a variety of different things, Here is a short list of different notices that may come with your check for specific reasons.
In my opinion the notice I received is the most unclear and seems a bit fishy with other personal accounts I have found on the web.

Just by google-ing notice 54 and other closely related stuff many people have posted questions on forums inquiring about the notice and what it meant, and why it happened. One account of a man said he was supposed to receive 300$ but received $11,600 Extra!!

Cont..

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
One case of notice 54

Another..

You can personally find tons of these cases online and nobody seems to really have a clue on WHY or HOW this happened..

I am sincerely thinking about depositing the check and hoping that I could escape without owing the difference or interest.

The thing is, the check WILL cash, so is this possibly just a way for the Department of Treasury and IRS to scam Americans even more?? Nowhere on the web could I find the Interest Rate that would be one would be obligated to pay back to the govt. if the check was cashed.

Could this be random auditing and SS and Identity checking?? Do the wrong amounts have a pattern? or source?

The actual story behind Notice 54 is that there was a problem with a name matching the social security number.. and well my name has never been changed.. so something is going on here but I do not know what.. any tax or IRS proffesionals.. I'd like to please hear your input.

PLEASE STAR + FLAG! - if you are interested in this for it to receive attention!! I want answers!

Thanks everyone, cheers!

Ryanlv

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Well that is odd. I too would want to know what the deal is and I wouldnt be cashing it either. However I would be calling them after this long. They may have told you not to call until you received a notice but it's been how long now?! It's like damned if you dont damned if you dont type situation.
Personally I dont trust the IRS one bit. They took more than half my check last year for a repayment on a Pell Grant for school from 5 years before. I called the DOE and it was a mistake on the IRS's part and I had to send in proof that the repayment was not needed and do you think I have seen my 600 dollars? No of course not. They made a mistake and I literally had to pay for it and they just get away with basically stealing my money...Ok sorry for ranting...lol The IRS topic gets me going!
I hope you find out what this is....as for the link to the person who got an extra 11k WOW! I would be really scared to cash that one.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Did you file electronically? There have been many problems with efiles in recent years. Also, the IRS has always randomly audited returns, it's one way of insuring honest returns while also testing the efficacy of their system.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
It's your stimulus money.

...act that relates to a 2009 stimulus check is by way of a section describing a tax credit which will be the lower of $500 or 6.2% of the yearly income of a taxpayer. So any taxpayer who earns $8064 or more per year will receive a credit of $500. If the taxpayer earns less than $8064 per year then the 2009 stimulus check will be 6.2% of the yearly income. For joint filers the maximum figure is $1000. If you qualify for a check then in order to receive it you need to file your taxes.

www.2009stimuluscheck.info...

[edit on 20-6-2009 by GreenGlassDoor]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ryanlv

thanks for briinging this to light

they are probably banking the future interest as a commodity and selling it to foreign countries

this is one of the reasons the market collapsed in the first place

the plot is twofold and pretty obvious

1. boost the economy with people spending the extra dough

2. when the economy is better because of #1, start mailing letters requesting interest on the overpayment's, thus keeping the economy afloat and shored up for jussssst a bit longer

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ryanlv

Not to fear OP...they have very good customer service...call and they will assist you, answering any question you may have about your tax return.

This is a list of telephone numbers for you to use in your plight for answers. www.irs.gov...=96730,00.html

I know, they have assisted me more than once and they are very resourceful and a pleasure to speak to...they are customer service representatives, that is what they get paid to do...assist tax payers like yourself.

Good luck...I promise, it is pain-free!

Ciao!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ryanlv

Lets try that again... www.irs.gov...=96730,00.html

That should do it...again, good luck!

Ciao!

So it does not want to work...well here is the number: Toll-Free, 1-800-829-1040

[edit on 03/31/2009 by rgseymour]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Why not just walk down to the local IRS office, with all your paperwork and such in a neat manila folder, and patiently stand in line and ask them what to do?

Remember the old adage: "Act like a dumb# and they'll treat you as an equal."

There's no reason to get all fancy and modern, using 'telephones' and 'computers' and 'websites'. This is government bureaucracy, after all!

Honestly, I've done exactly that - show up in person and be earnestly pleasant - and the poor people who have to work 'front line' at the IRS office are so glad to see someone who isn't bitter and angry that they really do go out of their way to be helpful and straighten out the confusion. Think of it as sort of a modern trial of zen-balance: similar to facing a pit of snakes or walking calmly though a fire-pit.

[edit on June 21st 2009 by Ian McLean]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
It's your stimulus money.

...act that relates to a 2009 stimulus check is by way of a section describing a tax credit which will be the lower of $500 or 6.2% of the yearly income of a taxpayer. So any taxpayer who earns $8064 or more per year will receive a credit of $500. If the taxpayer earns less than $8064 per year then the 2009 stimulus check will be 6.2% of the yearly income. For joint filers the maximum figure is $1000. If you qualify for a check then in order to receive it you need to file your taxes.

www.2009stimuluscheck.info...

[edit on 20-6-2009 by GreenGlassDoor]

Well..........I received my refund back in March and it did NOT include any 'stimulus' of any kind!! So, when will people, such as myself, receive this credit of $500??

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
well since its an illegal protection rackette, the bankers control....
If you notice.... Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service ...
we own the DOT but IRS is owned by independant bankers for profit...
so, as near as I can tell -- your money never ends up in the treasury...
and this thing called tax return ... not sure why we do this....
well bankers know the value of life.... you cant put a number on theirs just ours... so, one for one ... we win....

[edit on 21-6-2009 by BornPatriot]

[edit on 21-6-2009 by BornPatriot]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Champagne

They will send you a notice, that says somewhere in it "Why We Made The Change: *We computed your recovery rebate credit for you on Line..."

It's done by SSN, so they get to you when they get to you, provided your tax person didn't include it when filing.

www.irs.gov...=186065,00.html

My preparer didn't include any kind of stimulus discount for 08. So the IRS just recently (March 09) mailed the 08 Stimulus Check correction back to me, followed by a check from the Department of the Treasury.

What about 09? Obama's stimulus packages are a little more complicated. If you make

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Why don't you just call and ask them?

top topics

join