It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ready to Lose Your Right to Bear Arms? Better Have Voted for Obama or Be Off the Terrorist Watch Li

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Seems as if the theme around Washington lately, has been to introduce foolish legislation and pass it as quickly as possible.

We see it, yet again, as legislation will be proposed this upcoming week to strip Americans of their right to bear arms. But, for those off the terrorist watch list and for those that voted for Obama, you're in the clear!

New Jersey Democrat senator Frank R. Lautenberg plans to introduce legislation designed to cancel the Second Amend rights of well over a million U.S. citizens this coming week, according to the New York Times. “Mr. Lautenberg plans to introduce legislation on Monday that would give the attorney general the discretion to block gun sales to people on terror watch lists,” the newspaper reports.

Lautenberg’s proposed bill is one of several now working their way through the labyrinth of Congress. On April 29, with little fanfare or corporate media coverage, H.R. 2159 was introduced and referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary. The bill would “increase public safety by permitting the Attorney General to deny the transfer of a firearm or the issuance of firearms or explosives licenses to a known or suspected dangerous terrorist.” Another bill, H.R. 1022, sponsored by New York Democrat Carolyn McCarthy and 67 co-sponsors, would provide AG Holder with the ability to ban guns at will.

Larry Pratt, executive director of Gun Owners of America, told WorldNetDaily that H.R. 2159 will be used in conjunction with the DHS “Rightwing Extremism” report. “By those standards, I’m one of [DHS Secretary] Janet Napolitano’s terrorists,” Pratt said. “This bill would enable the attorney general to put all of the people who voted against Obama on no-gun lists, because according to the DHS, they’re all potential terrorists.”

Lautenberg’s proposed bill would go one step further and allow Holder to deny the Second Amendment to officially designated enemies of the state.

The Inspector General of the Justice Department reported that the Terrorist Screening Center — the FBI-administered organization that consolidates terrorist watch list information in the United States — had over 700,000 names in its database as of April 2007 and that the list was growing by an average of over 20,000 records per month, according to the ACLU. In March of this year the list hit the one million mark, a 32% increase from 2007.
www.infowars.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
So this is why they have that new definition of "domestic terrorist". If you have a Ron Paul bumper sticker, you can't own a gun? If you went to a Tea Party, you can't have a gun? If you are a US veteran, . . . .

This is the kinda crap that makes me sick. It seems like every pol tries at least once a month to trash the constitution.
What's next? Checking voting records? Doing something during the census? I bet ACORN will love this idea!

-I'm going to barf-

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I hate these people.
We all, are already on their lists, and honestly I do not care.
We will take our country back and we will kick them all out of the Government.
Domestic terrorists my ass...I'd die for the true citizens of this great country, now those ridiculous, trash, unworthy, and reckless politicians.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I can see the standard people on this site stating that guns aren't necessary, Americans are gun nuts, why do you want to kill. . . blah blah blah.
But this is as bad as if they tried to take away our rights to freedom of speech.
And if they feel free to take away one right, wouldn't that put in jeopardy our other rights as well?

I'd love to see the anti-gun people stand up against this, because once they're through with the second ammendment, they're going to come after you.

Fight the fight!

[edit on 20-6-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Disarming the american public will take decades to achieve,dont worry Obama wont take your guns away...still have quite a few presidents to go through before that will happen,doesn't stop the current president chipping a little bit of your rights away though

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

It brings to mind the analogy about dropping a frog in boiling water and it will jump right out. Drop a frog into water, then slowly heat it to boiling, and the frog will die.

-sniff, sniff. I think I smell garlic too-

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I notice something at the beginning of every fear mongering thread regarding guns.. "plans to, will, is going, speculated, overheard". Very seldom do we hear an actual pro-gun fear thread verify a law that is actually be put into place, always "speculation". The gun scare has been going on for months now, and its nothing new since every cycle of a liberal in power results to these overly fear mongering threads. Its like a broken record, it plays on and on and on, and folks never realize that until these laws actually get through, nothing is happening. But who in the right mind will advocate against the suicidal teen and his right to carry guns to school right?

Your guns will not be taken away, your AR's are safe where they are. You are protected by the constitution. But you know I get the feeling this has nothing to do with guns, or the constitution. Deep down folks here know their guns aint going anywhere, that there is no laws coming in, hence the "plans to, going to, speculated to" evidence presented here. In reality the folks here, mostly staunch rightwingers are always up for another phoney outcry, like the one for Palin, like the one for imaginary taxes increase, like the one for the troops to fight in corporate wars. Any excuse to bicker about. What a depressive world we live in under a liberal right? Spare me.

SG.

[edit on 20-6-2009 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Yup, you can still visit your cousin Ted, or your uncle's friend Bill, or those guys from the Mexican Mafia down the street, or the Gang-Bangers that ride around in circles downtown. When they ask for ID they are expecting to see something that identifies you as Benjamin Franklin the Third, William McKinley or Grover Cleveland.

No Gun Laws will make it impossible for a criminal or terrorist to obtain a gun. Actually, they won't even make it particularly difficult to obtain a gun.

All these Gun Laws do is create one more bureaucratic red-tape hoop that honest citizens have to jump through to get a firearm.

The only thing that struck me as odd is the quote "designed to cancel the Second Amend rights of well over a million U.S. citizens"...I didn't realize that we had over a million U.S. citizens classified as "terrorists". If there are 218,544,291 of eligible age to own a firearm, minus the 4,700,000 of those who are ineligible to own a firearm due to a felony, and you have 1:214 Americans is a "terrorist". Let's see, if you live in a population center of 50,000 that means you have a "Terror Cell" of 234 "terrorists" living amongst you as your neighbors. That's more than the entire enrollment of a 4-year High School for that sized population! Why am I finding those figures difficult to believe?

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
Yup, you can still visit your cousin Ted, or your uncle's friend Bill, or those guys from the Mexican Mafia down the street, or the Gang-Bangers that ride around in circles downtown. When they ask for ID they are expecting to see something that identifies you as Benjamin Franklin the Third, William McKinley or Grover Cleveland.

No Gun Laws will make it impossible for a criminal or terrorist to obtain a gun. Actually, they won't even make it particularly difficult to obtain a gun.

All these Gun Laws do is create one more bureaucratic red-tape hoop that honest citizens have to jump through to get a firearm.

The only thing that struck me as odd is the quote "designed to cancel the Second Amend rights of well over a million U.S. citizens"...I didn't realize that we had over a million U.S. citizens classified as "terrorists". If there are 218,544,291 of eligible age to own a firearm, minus the 4,700,000 of those who are ineligible to own a firearm due to a felony, and you have 1:214 Americans is a "terrorist". Let's see, if you live in a population center of 50,000 that means you have a "Terror Cell" of 234 "terrorists" living amongst you as your neighbors. That's more than the entire enrollment of a 4-year High School for that sized population! Why am I finding those figures difficult to believe?

The number refers to (I think) the people on the watch list. Now if they start adding numbers due to DHS criteria on domestic terrorists I can image it will rise sharply.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I'm actually from new jersey and in case you aren't or have ever visited the area this isnt neccesarily bad due to the fact that gun violence has been a great big problem. 2004 my home city was named most dangerous place in america. Believe me limiting the amount of guns on Jersey streets is not a bad thing.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SchefSalad
I'm actually from new jersey and in case you aren't or have ever visited the area this isnt neccesarily bad due to the fact that gun violence has been a great big problem. 2004 my home city was named most dangerous place in america. Believe me limiting the amount of guns on Jersey streets is not a bad thing.

Curious, how many crimes were commited with guns illegally obtained vs crimes commited with legally obtained firearms?

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Gun control has never proven effective at controlling gun crime.

Typically gun crime rises when strong gun control laws are enacted - and NJ is a perfect example.

Look past identification of gun rights with political alignments, and there is no rational case for gun control as a crime-fighting measure - at best it's feel-good nonsense, at worst it restricts the rights of milliions of citizens who are not criminals but simple hobbyists.

Ridiculous.

It has never been effective at keeping guns out of the hands of criminals.

I lived in NJ most of my adult life, and Lautenberg has always been a vocal opponent of Second Amendment rights.

Fortunately he also doesn't have a lot of allies in Congress at the moment, most of the new Democrat legislators are "blue dog" types who have little use for gun control laws.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
The number refers to (I think) the people on the watch list. Now if they start adding numbers due to DHS criteria on domestic terrorists I can image it will rise sharply.

I understand that those figures could rise dramatically, just as the TSA No Fly List has done. However, the TSA only has 44,000 suspected Terrorists on their No Fly List (which apparently includes US Senator Ted Kennedy, rock singer Morrissey, peace-nik gone uber-peaceful Muslim Cat Stevens, the democratic president of Bolivia, and so forth). 1,000,000+ vs 44,000 seems oddly disproportionate.

Likewise, the statement "This bill would enable the attorney general to put all of the people who voted against Obama on no-gun lists, because according to the DHS, they’re all potential terrorists" is fear-mongering at it's finest. Yes, 1,000,000+ is a lot and clearly includes many who should not be on that list. However, the number of people who voted against Obama is 47.1% of the voters...which would equal 60,749,789 being added to this DHS list, which is entirely ludicrous to think that it could or would happen.

Besides, the entire system of watch lists is unconstitutional, because it treats people as guilty without a trial, and deprives them of their Constitutionally protected freedoms without due process. You can restrict convicted felons from utilizing their 2nd Amendment Rights, because they were proven as guilty by a trial of their peers, but you can't restrict those who haven't been found guilty by a trial of their peers from their Constitutional Rights. The only way that the fear-mongering could happen is if Congress passed this as a Constitutional Amendment, requiring the bill to pass both houses of the legislature, by a two-thirds majority in each, and passed in each of the States by the same two-thirds majority.

Of course, there is nothing to stop Congress from passing a law that is knowingly unconstitutional. They do it all the time. However, you can be certain that the ACLU will step up to the plate and push to have their case heard before the Supreme Court to protect citizen's rights to Bear Arms.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Sorry dont have exact figures at the moment but ill find em. maybe. And it isnt exactly Obama taking away gun rights is it. Look honestly if someone is on the terrorist watch list and want to but a gun i think that their immediate approval should be revoked. If i was an employer who had an applicant that has an arrest record for burglary should i really hire em right away. Probably not id have to say no. I mean if your arguing that we should let people who for whatever reason are on a terrorist watch list have guns then id have to say that your kind of countering prevention of another 9-11 type attack. Are you on the terror watch list? If so what for? What were your reasons for attempting some kind of attack?

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
And to think: The Iranian people have more BALLS then us Americans!

Man, I seriously grow sick of this system that takes and takes and takes! Our system was SUPPOSED to grant freedom to our people for all ages.

Crap....I guess I'm on the list now.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
They won't immediately take our guns and our rights. But this is just one step closer to doing that. People who voted against Obama? Was this the type of change he was expecting? What's it going to be like in 2012? Will we just be arrested if we don't vote for him?

Scares the hell out of me when my political beliefs are suspect.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
In Vermont It's legal for anyone to carry concealed, as long as they don't have a felony and the gun is legal. No permit required.
And there is no crime in Vermont to speak of, some little ole Lady will pull a 44 Mag out of her purse and blow someones brain all over the place. This is some what of a contradiction to the anti-gun group.

In UK when they took the guns away, the criminals laughed about it.
They the criminals still get guns just harder to get good ones.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by antmax21
I hate these people.
We all, are already on their lists, and honestly I do not care.
We will take our country back and we will kick them all out of the Government.
Domestic terrorists my ass...I'd die for the true citizens of this great country, now those ridiculous, trash, unworthy, and reckless politicians.

I agree man, they can't be allowed to do this. Every dog has it's day and these dogs day is a comin' and it's comin' fast. I too vow my life for the true Americans that believe in the values that this country was founded on and if i have to i will protect that or i would rather be dead anyways than live the life of a slave to corruption and greed.

America!, EFF yea!!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Frank Louseybird doesn't deserve the seat in the Senate he has. He's the epitomy of a party hack and always has been. If it gets his name in the paper or an interview that has canned questions he's right there with his hand out. Get him off guard and the man is a blithering idiot who can't link two sentences together without help. Rumors of his sexual deviency have been hushed up for 40 years and he is still in office. He's a crook and wants everybody disarmed so they don't shoot him for his ignorance.

Zindo

new topics

top topics

join