It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking about downloading music perhaps this will put you off $1.9 million fine

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Woman illegally downloads 24 songs, fined to tune of $1.9 million

(CNN) -- A federal jury Thursday found a 32-year-old Minnesota woman guilty of illegally downloading music from the Internet and fined her $80,000 each -- a total of $1.9 million -- for 24 songs.

Link to source

Wow $1.9 million, I wonder how much she will pay after the MSM stop jumping on the band wagon?

lets be realistic here she isn't going to be paying that off very quickly now is she. What a crock! I mean come on that poor women, think of all the unecessary stress this poor women has been under because of the music moguels greed.

Please spare a thought for this women and think it could have been you.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Well this is absolutely the epitome of GREED! I am sorry but this is ridiculous. This makes me want to open up my limewire and download songs....grrr. I swear the music industry is getting more greedy. Did it really hurt anyone? No. There are more important things to worry about than downloading music.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I love that cop out.
"It is not me who is stealing, it is they who are greedy."

The hypocrisy is that none of these people stop to consider their own greed.
"I want that song AND my money. I can get that song without giving them my money."

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Shocking !!

But i guess that may exactly be the reaction this law-suit seeks to provoke.

So the music industry is out of pocket $24 ........ the woman gets fined $ 1.9 million .

Lets see this kind of logic applied to White Collar Crime ...... first .

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Well it won't bother me, because i make my own music...

Since i don't sell it, i don't care who downloads it. Even if i did want to release it, i still wouldn't care if people downloaded it illegaly. I'd make my money from gigs etc.

Also, nobody has 1.9 million, so I think if anything this ludicrous amount of money would encourage people to keep downloading, because after all, they won't have any money to pay it anyway...

FREE MUSIC...

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by GuyverUnit I

Look at how much they are fining per song (24 is what she was found guilty of). What are the standard allowed fines for shoplifting? I think in my state it is seven times the value of the objuect you are caught stealing.

Any idea how many CDs she could buy with 1.9 million?

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
reply to post by franspeakfree

So the music industry is out of pocket $24 ........ the woman gets fined $ 1.9 million .
No, the music industry is out millions. This one person is paying the price for thousands of other illegal downloads.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Hence why people should stick to the usenet instead of P2P software where your identity is far easier to discover and monitor. I'm not saying newsgroups are 100% secure, but they do allow for an far easier way to mask yourself.

However, I do admit that not many alt.bin* groups supply speed-metal-alternative-polka. Sigh...

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Also, nobody has 1.9 million, so I think if anything this ludicrous amount of money would encourage people to keep downloading, because after all, they won't have any money to pay it anyway...
That is a FANTASTIC point.
If the music industry sued for not so much money that the defendant can't possibly pay it back but enough to seriously dissuade illegal downloading, they may actually make progress on the issue.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree
Woman illegally downloads 24 songs, fined to tune of $1.9 million

(CNN) -- A federal jury Thursday found a 32-year-old Minnesota woman guilty of illegally downloading music from the Internet and fined her $80,000 each -- a total of $1.9 million -- for 24 songs.

Link to source

Wow $1.9 million, I wonder how much she will pay after the MSM stop jumping on the band wagon?

lets be realistic here she isn't going to be paying that off very quickly now is she. What a crock! I mean come on that poor women, think of all the unecessary stress this poor women has been under because of the music moguels greed.

Please spare a thought for this women and think it could have been you.

LMAO, as if we aren't in debt enough?!? Now they are bringing this in!??! Money is freedom and they're enclosing the field.

I swear, there are some seriously mentally challenged people passing these laws, as if say, $1000 a song isn't enough?! It would deter the people the same as $80,000, unfortunately greed is priority in this day and age.

I think it's time for people to stop buying CD's. None, not a chance, they can go swivel.

EMM

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
download music is wrong ok ... but we have much more problems to work on than this ... that is just SICK ... if I were the person in that situation, I would kill ...

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Well it won't bother me, because i make my own music...

Since i don't sell it, i don't care who downloads it. Even if i did want to release it, i still wouldn't care if people downloaded it illegaly. I'd make my money from gigs etc.

FREE MUSIC...

EXACTLY!! After you get a fine like this, surely you wouldn't care about anymore?!? I couldn't pay this back in a dozen lifetimes! So After your first multi-million dollar fine, why not? What are they going to do?

They could throw you in prison, but I don't think they'd be getting any money in the future!

EMM

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by GuyverUnit I
I love that cop out.
"It is not me who is stealing, it is they who are greedy."

The hypocrisy is that none of these people stop to consider their own greed.
"I want that song AND my money. I can get that song without giving them my money."

Hollywood steals ideas from all over the place. Do you know the pentagon and nsa perve into lifes of people, and hand hollywood ideas for programs and films.

Its hollywood that steals, full stop.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

So you are saying two wrongs DO make a right?
It is logical to commit the same acts you condemn?

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Did anyone see the part where they aren't doing this anymore? Instead, they are going to the ISPs, and targeting the heavy downloaders and sharers. And usually now, it's a Cease and Desist warning a few times before anything comes of it.
I don't download music or share music. I copy music, no different than recording it to cassette tape off of the radio. I have a patch cord that runs from my headphone jack to my microphone jack. Windows Recorder on, and bam, you're recording any music you want, no matter what web page it's playing from. Then you use a program like Switch or Soundbooth to save it as an MP3 or WMA file. Added to collection on a writeable CD, it's no different than when we were kids recording music to cassette from the Radio.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
No different than borrowing your friend's albums and making some tapes. Only, you've got thousands of friends with thousands of albums. Everything on the internet was purchased legally by someone at some point. It just gets shared around. No way that should be illegal.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
$1.9 million is just a joke, all it serves to do is make a mockery of the anti piracy laws and put out another completely untangible amount into the media... $1.9 million here, couple of billion in another story these are figures that we all understand but we are becoming desensitised - these figures don't bear any relation to real life - I bet there are homeless charity's that will last for 10 years on $1.9 mill.

Bonkers. I bet the judge some how could afford a new car after that particular ruling.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
This is the epitome of GREED IMO. I am so tired of people being greedy!!!

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
No different than borrowing your friend's albums and making some tapes. Only, you've got thousands of friends with thousands of albums. Everything on the internet was purchased legally by someone at some point. It just gets shared around. No way that should be illegal.
Except that borrowing from your friend to make a tape is illegal.
That's why they call it COPYrights.
You do not have the right to COPY that cd.
Only the holder of the copyrights has the right to make and distribute copies of that song/movie/book/etc.
If you want your OWN copy, you must purchase one.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by GuyverUnit I]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme
Hence why people should stick to the usenet instead of P2P software where your identity is far easier to discover and monitor. I'm not saying newsgroups are 100% secure, but they do allow for an far easier way to mask yourself.

However, I do admit that not many alt.bin* groups supply speed-metal-alternative-polka. Sigh...

Yes Sir! Usenet all the way....thats where I do all my pirating, LOL!

Also, this fine is just absolutely outrageous.....what happened to cruel and unusual punishment? If she walked into Best Buy and jacked 2 CD's, would she get fined 2 million bucks? I think not.....so what is the difference here?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join