It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PETA vs. Obama--Who is Right?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Well, it's time to make your opinions count on a topic that REALLY MATTERS!

PETA is upset with President Obama over a little fly-killing incident in the White House. With whom do you stand by?

Norfolk-based group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants the flyswatter in chief to try taking a more humane attitude the next time he's bedeviled by a fly in the White House.

PETA is sending President Barack Obama a Katcha Bug Humane Bug Catcher, a device that allows users to trap a house fly and then release it outside.

"We support compassion even for the most curious, smallest and least sympathetic animals," PETA spokesman Bruce Friedrich said Wednesday. "We believe that people, where they can be compassionate, should be, for all animals."
hamptonroads.com.nyud.net...

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
haha! this was predicted yesterday actually, on the thread where banana swats the fly someone said that PETA would get involved. I cant get to that link as it's blocked by our internet filter at work - is it for real ?

If so I reckon PETA are using this for publicity.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mortalengine
haha! this was predicted yesterday actually, on the thread where banana swats the fly someone said that PETA would get involved. I cant get to that link as it's blocked by our internet filter at work - is it for real ?

If so I reckon PETA are using this for publicity.

The link was first provided by Drudge Report, so I'm guessing PETA's involvement in this is genuine. Annoying.

Friedrich said that PETA was pleased with Obama's voting record in the Senate on behalf of animal rights and noted that he has been outspoken against animal abuses.

Still, "swatting a fly on TV indicates he's not perfect," Friedrich said, "and we're happy to say that we wish he hadn't."

Deputy press secretary Josh Earnest said the White House has no comment on the matter.
hamptonroads.com.nyud.net...

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
peta is being ridiculous. They are saying something along the lines of that if one of their women had crabs (which is very likely because their oh-so natural) then they would respect them as opposed to killing them?

flys get swatted all the time. yes, this was national television. do you think obama cares? everyone sees him as the coolest guy in the world, and the way he killed that fly was pretty cool.

Pita members are nimb-rods, this is ridiculous
respect for all animals big and small? thats an impossible goal.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Kevin_X1

He did pull-off quite a cool guy factor...especially when he told the cameras to pan on the dead fly lying on the floor! HA!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Who cares? Really?
Its just a damn fly.
And its just Obama.

What concerns me the most is the fact that when I turned on my TV this morning, first thing I saw on the news was Obamas big fat head and a pic of the fly lying there. I mean really?

Oh and this story was ran BEFORE the Iran story, and the rest of the "more important" coverage.

I mean really?
I knew that this was going to get attention, but it shouldnt be getting this kind of attention.
Just me talking about it right now is bringing it more attention, thus I dont know why I am doing it, so I will say nothing more on this matter from here on out. The mainstream media should freakin know better than to run this kind of crap this early in the morning.

Edit to add(for the OPs question)- I think both the fly and Obama both share the same brain pattern, so neither are right nor wrong, they are both "Just there"..well only one is now.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by Common Good]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

Look to be honest, I take the buddhist approach to life, I wont kill anything by choice, I even take 20 minutes strategically manouevring a spider out the house instead of just killing it, even though I'm really scared of spiders, I mean terrified.

Whats interesting is that I dont think Obama would normally kill a fly either, but you can see that fly is really annoying him - he looks like he's pretty stressed and under pressure just below the surface.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Peta can kiss my ... well you know...

those group of freaks have their hands in to many pockets and their noses in way to many places.

all do gooders, yea right...

what do you bet is on their dinner plate, i'm sure what ever it was it was alive at one time or another.
Did they kill it them self? No they are to weak to feed them self. That would be wrong, they discuss as they stand in line at the smorgus board filling their plates with food..

They seriously need put in check.

Granted there is a limit, sure all animals,creatures, etc should be treated humainly but there is a limit... its a freakin fly that pukes on everything it lands on.. oooohhh but be nice to the fly...

If they want to do something useful how about bringing atention to the thousands of homeless kids on the street starving every day.. not africa or some other country, right here in the U.S.

There are many more important issues going on in todays world than a bunch of do gooders worried about the feelings of a fly.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

Hey dont be hating PETA - thanks to them we get naked chicks protesting against fur on a regular basis.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
And PETA would like for the world to take them seriously? First you mess with the fish while I am fishing, then you look out for the fly's rights when he is in my face?
what PETA is realy about

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

reply to post by severdsoul

Hey dont be hating PETA - thanks to them we get naked chicks protesting against fur on a regular basis.

So the gals shave ? ? ? *LOL* ok, sorry for the bad joke but i could not resist...

True, they do give us something to look at.. *g*

Its just sad that with everything going on, that is what a group with that much power and clout decide to worry about...
there is so much more going on that could use the national atention and help..

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Look to be honest, I take the buddhist approach to life, I wont kill anything by choice, I even take 20 minutes strategically manouevring a spider out the house instead of just killing it, even though I'm really scared of spiders, I mean terrified.

Whats interesting is that I dont think Obama would normally kill a fly either, but you can see that fly is really annoying him - he looks like he's pretty stressed and under pressure just below the surface.

Could this be a precursor of the wrath that's about to come down on the US citizenry?!!? OK, OK, I'm digging here!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I have to agree, while i am a hunter, for food, not trophy, i do respect all animals and critters, i get fussed at all the time by the wife, she finds a spider, i pick it up and take it out side, even had a mouse in the house once, field mouse, did the same with it..

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Still, "swatting a fly on TV indicates he's not perfect," Friedrich said.

--- Man, we need to get a time machine so we can keep the illusion of Obama being perfect restored!!

Killing a fly in one swat is kind of Chuck Norris

[edit on 18-6-2009 by drsmooth23]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
This is literally the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life. We really are living in nothing more than an orchestrated illusion of ridiculousness.

Woo hooooo!!!! America's Got Talent in hi-def! That's living my friends.

Peace

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Flies are dirty, disease-spreading insects, not "sensing" creatures. Killing a thousand of them won't even make a dent in their population, we are not talking about an endangered species. I am a confirmed animal rights observer so speaking from both a personal and ethical standpoint, the existence of lobbying groups like PETA shows just how low the political process has sunk. They have made great strides in changing living conditions for animals in the farm and circus communities and have made a positive impact on reducing industrial animal testing but the group really seems to be a way for disturbed people to seek negative attention. They are hardly nonprofit either, since they have been caught on video killing animals they have rescued in lieu of adopting them out.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I am absolutely with PETA in their stance on showing compassion for all animals wherever possible.

Flies, roaches, spiders et al have their right to life and to go about their business unmolested.

However, there are a handful of creatures I wold happily see swatted and wouldn't bat an eyelash - Bush, Blair, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Brown, Rice.........

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
This just made me laugh so hard. I will be sure to tell my friend to watch out for PETA after all those flies she swatted on Memorial Day with the doors open...It's a FLY! Wow I was always for rights for animals but a fly? They are not in danger of being extinct for heavens sake. Do they have anything else better to do?? I do my best not to kill the little critters. If I find one I put it outside. I remember once saving a scorpion from my boyfriend who wanted to kill it.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I hate to fallout with my good friend Berenike here (please don't swot me!! lol) but killing a fly seems so insignificant to me. I do believe all living creatures deserve the right to live but how far do we go, I mean will they stop us scratching an itch as this kills hundreds of critters that live on your skin. Flies eat s**t then land all over your kitchen including work surfaces spreding germs, these ones deserve to die in my opinion.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by Kurokage]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I like animals. I am very much against cruelty to animals. If you have a pet, I feel that you should take care of it as one would a child. Like a child, it is totally dependant on you. I do not think animal shelters should kill the residents that outstay their welcome, but I realize why they do it.

And then on to why I posted here: PETA is never right.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join