It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tom Coburn Questions 100 Stimulous Projects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Tom Coburn Questions 100 Stimulous Projects

www.newson6.com

Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn on Tuesday released a report detailing what he says are the 100 worst examples of waste in the stimulus law. Coburn's list targets projects from coast to coast, and he says those unnecessary projects are costing taxpayers more than $5 billion.

Senator Coburn says he has two staff members whose job is following all stimulus contracts and keeping their eyes on any new ones that pop up to make sure money is appropriated to necessary projects.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I had a feeling that Senator Coburn's pork project list would be extensive, and this year it does not disappoint.

One has to wonder who the geniuses are that come up with these pork projects.

I am sure there are better uses for this money and Dr. Coburn, who is also an OB/GYN doctor, and a compassionate individual, would like to see these billions of $$$$$$ put to better use.

www.newson6.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I wrote to my senator, protesting all the pork in the stimulus package. The sob had the nerve to write back, castigating me for questioning his wisdom in obtaining money for my state.
He's diffinitely on my political hit list the next time he comes up for election.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Keep writing those letters, keep pushing back, it is the only way your voice will be heard. When Senator Coburn voted in favor of the first TARP I was shocked, just could not believe he would vote for this. He received much criticism for voting for the first TARP. Then he and the other Oklahoma Senator, James Inhofe, told us that they were told to pass it or face Marshall law for the whole country.

I can't believe that members of congress believed the rioting banker line. I would have enjoyed seeing the "WALL STREET RIOTS, BANKERS GO GANSTA OVER SOUR CDS CONTRACTS" headline in the paper.

I have since forgiven Senator Coburn for voting for the Tarp, because I do not think he will fall for the 'ol fear factor routine again.

The strong arm tactics being used by the FED to control the bailouts need to be brought under strict oversight and control by the courts to stop this unconstitutional madness.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
yeah, coburn seems like one of the good guys,,, the 2 or 3 that exist,,,

i don't agree with him on everything,,,, sometimes he seems a little crazy,,,, and he stumped for that POS mcCain which bothered me

but other than that,,,, he seems like a fighter for the people ,, not big gov't

i heard a speech he gave,,, and said,,,, man, this guy gets it

i write emails to reps all the time,,,,, i love when i rip em a new one,,,, and i just get the generic letter back stating there position,,,,, when i just told em why what he's saying and voting is wrong,,,,
anotherwords a staffer read it and sent me the "standard" reply back

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Coburn cracks me up sometimes.
He'll be among the first to point the finger at wasteful spending - as long as it's non-military...when military spending HAS BEEN FOR DECADES the most fraudulent and wasteful spending in ALL of government.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
You have got to be kidding me.. Has anyone else read some of the things in his list? It's amazing to me how much of the stimulus is being wasted..

Here's a few of the gems buried in the list:

26. Rather than help welfare recipients obtain jobs and escape poverty, $1 million will be used to study whether 300 people in Chicago are healthier when living in “green” public housing facilities.

Yeah, because who cares about helping people get off welfare and out of poverty when instead we can study if living in a "green" building makes them healthier!

27. The National Institute of Health gives Indiana University professor $356,000 to study how kids perceive foreign accents. The grant was given to the University of Indiana, which has an endowment of more than $1.5 billion, to “test how children perceive foreign-accented speech compared to native-accented speech.” It will also determine how such accents might influence speech development in children.

Who cares about people losing their jobs and the economy going to crap, we need to know how kids perceive foreign accents! That is what is truly important here!

29. Michigan will spend $983,952 for streetscaping in Ann Arbor. The city plans to install “decorative sidewalks and crosswalks, planters, landscaping, decorative lighting, trees, trash receptacles, benches and bike loops.”

Well at least all the jobless citizens will have something pretty to look at when they're living on the streets after losing their homes.

38. Yale and the University of Connecticut are receiving $850,000 in stimulus for research “to study how paying attention improves performance of difficult tasks.”

Do we really need a study to tell us that we do better when we pay attention and focus? Really? Has the stupidity level really gotten that high?

65. Washington, North Carolina is using stimulus funds to pay for “project-funding manager” whose job it is to secure even more stimulus funds. The City hopes to pay the new “projectfunding manager” to identify available Stimulus money using a $40,234 grant from the Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant program which, in turn, received funding through the stimulus bill.

Absolutely brilliant. Instead of spending that money on, oh I don't know creating jobs or fixing roads, lets spend money to find out how to get more money.

92. U.S.-Canada border crossings that average less than 2 passenger cars per day and 2-3 trucks a month get millions from stimulus funds. U.S.-Mexico border crossings with 20,000 vehicle crossings per day get nothing.

I thought the stimulus was supposed to stimulate the economy, not go to study grants, landscaping, and fixing things that don't need fixed. Apparently I was wrong, and the idiots that be are having a field day.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by Jenna]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Thank you for responding and elaborating on this subject, excellent post.

new topics

top topics

join